X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe
    Here is the energy reserve to date for next winter, with the 2 previous years. Generation isn't any
    better than a year ago; probably a little worse (more clouds). Its got a jump on last year, because
    this year I was heating with a new heat pump in the spring. Bruce Roe
    The electric bill came; here is the latest energy reserve buildup for winter. Despite even more clouds
    than last year, I'm well above 2014. The heat pump gets most of the credit; usage here is quite small
    (due to earlier conservation efforts) except when the heat goes on. Most of what the PV generates
    is going to reserve, but that will change soon. If the winter is actually the predicted warmer, there
    might be a big surplus. Bruce Roe
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    This I've got to see.
    I am not sure if this was the one that I saw, but here is a 2012 article about the system. http://www.technologyreview.com/view...-solar-panels/
    Unfortunately for them the idea did not catch on and the company stopped operations just this month.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by inetdog
    A good number of industrial applications use multipanel long row horizontal axis tracking.
    Particularly good performance close to the equator.

I saw a clip last year about a system where a robotic actuator worked its way down the row tilting panels
    and leaving them fixed in place as it went. Next scheduled axis change it worked its way back up the row.

One actuator for many panels.
    This I've got to see. I have bolts to move & tighten on my 2013 version. The activators might be
    here Friday, seem quite heavy. The robot moving them will be human. Don't know if I have a power
    supply big enough for a pair of 24VDC motors, or will need to make something. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    It looks like an industrial design, made in this area. Doesn't appear to do 2 axis. I hope they find
    some customers; trackers are less valuable with clouds and cheap panels. Maybe its for industrial
    applications, are some of those single tilt axis? Bruce Roe
    A good number of industrial applications use multipanel long row horizontal axis tracking.
    Particularly good performance close to the equator.

I saw a clip last year about a system where a robotic actuator worked its way down the row tilting panels and leaving them fixed in place as it went.
    Next scheduled axis change it worked its way back up the row.

One actuator for many panels.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    It looks like an industrial design, made in this area. Doesn't appear to do 2 axis. I hope they find
    some customers; trackers are less valuable with clouds and cheap panels. Maybe its for industrial
    It looks like a single axis movement. What impressed me was they were using a Parker cylinder hydraulic system which are pretty well designed to last.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle
    I just saw a flyer yesterday about a new type of panel tracker made by
    HAS. I don't know the cost but it looked pretty impressive.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Its getting late, but I may yet manage to get my south facing panels vertical for this snow season. The
    24 braces to hold them are done; the issue is how to raise & lower each platform having two braces.

I ordered a couple linear actuators with a 52 inch stroke (about enough) and a 5000 lb capacity (overkill).
    They run on 24 VDC, should be able to fine control them with adjustable voltage.

But they haven't arrived yet, so the mechanical design is still in doubt. Worst case the whole thing will
    fall on me. IREA tour this Sat. Bruce Roe
    I just saw a flyer yesterday about a new type of panel tracker made by HAS. I don't know the cost but it looked pretty impressive.

Solar Panel Tracker_HAS-Flyer_091115.pdf

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Winter inclination

Its getting late, but I may yet manage to get my south facing panels vertical for this snow season. The
    24 braces to hold them are done; the issue is how to raise & lower each platform having two braces.

I ordered a couple linear actuators with a 52 inch stroke (about enough) and a 5000 lb capacity (overkill).
    They run on 24 VDC, should be able to fine control them with adjustable voltage.

But they haven't arrived yet, so the mechanical design is still in doubt. Worst case the whole thing will
    fall on me. IREA tour this Sat. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Leon_chow
    replied
    I was just thinking about the definition of SUN HOURS. Like, with my sun rise to sunset being
    10:50 hours now, the total energy hitting a given panel might be equivalent to 5 hours of perfect
    sun noon. So then its 5 SUN HOURS that day, location, and alignment.

Working this backwards, harvesting 110 KWH divided by 15 KW inverter maximum (clipping)
    level, gives 7.33 equivalent SUN HOURS. The idea of course is to stretch the sun day by adding
    panels directly facing the rising & setting sun. Comparing this to the basic sun hours could be
    a multiplying factor for the panel arrangement. Probably the factor doesn't have a name? I'm
    still looking for a tool to use, to predict this factor. Bruce Roe
    Why don't u try type the longitude and latitude on NASA website, u can see the data for past years.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by DanS26
    Well I looked very closely at the connection on the display. The insulation on the cable where the connection is made to the display is dis colored which makes me believe it is a loose connection. Heat or arcing maybe going on. I have reconnected and reseated the connection but still have the same problem.

My diagnosis is that the connectors do not make a proper connection do to a manufacturing defect. I am going to replace door, display, connector and plug in panel.....all under warranty.
    I do not believe your jumper wire will fix the problem I see. Inspect your connection very closely and see if there is indications of heat.
    Probably my problem isn't your problem. I looked at the display cable on my 7.5, but nothing was loose
    or burned. But wires should not be discolored from heat. Lets see what develops with your repair.
    Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• DanS26
    replied
    Do put those holes close to the hinge so the jumper is short. And make sure nothing inside
    is at risk. Some risk of voiding the warrantee I suppose, don't worry about such things here.
    I tapped for 6-32 so it could be serviced from the outside, but nuts & bolts work with some
    of those star contacts to help cut through, and clean the spots on the aluminum.

If I am right, replacing parts is only a temporary fix. Someone else suggested it could be
    a loose door cable, but I didn't touch that and its cured. Let us know. Bruce Roe
    Well I looked very closely at the connection on the display. The insulation on the cable where the connection is made to the display is dis colored which makes me believe it is a loose connection. Heat or arcing maybe going on. I have reconnected and reseated the connection but still have the same problem.

My diagnosis is that the connectors do not make a proper connection do to a manufacturing defect. I am going to replace door, display, connector and plug in panel.....all under warranty.

I do not believe your jumper wire will fix the problem I see. Inspect your connection very closely and see if there is indications of heat.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by DanS26
    Bruce, I have the exact same issue with the older of my two Fronius inverters. The older model has the hinged door but the newer model is bolted closed and they moved the DC cutoff switch is mounted on the bottom externally, thus no need to oped up the swinging door.

Well I called Fronius and they will, under warranty of course, replace the door and include
    a plug in module. Maybe I'll try your fix first.
    Do put those holes close to the hinge so the jumper is short. And make sure nothing inside
    is at risk. Some risk of voiding the warrantee I suppose, don't worry about such things here.
    I tapped for 6-32 so it could be serviced from the outside, but nuts & bolts work with some
    of those star contacts to help cut through, and clean the spots on the aluminum.

If I am right, replacing parts is only a temporary fix. Someone else suggested it could be
    a loose door cable, but I didn't touch that and its cured. Let us know. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• DanS26
    replied
    New operational issue. The Fronius inverters have performed well for a couple years, running at
    clipping level much of every sunny day. The lower doors have a manually operated readout, and
    access a DC cutoff switch and some other stuff while running.

The other day I opened a door, and the inverter went into reset and power up cycle. It
    happened again, I don't need this. Lets see, the case is made of extruded aluminum, and
    the door is the same. A clever mechanical design allows the 2 to slide together without a
    separate hinge assembly. Well that is fine, except that aluminum likes to form a non
    conducting oxide coating. I theorize the door and case are no longer electrically connected,
    and static charge/discharge between them is disturbing the electronic controls.

Cure, I drilled & tapped some holes. Short wire jumpers were added at the top and bottom
    of the door hinge area, to keep the door securely connected to the case. Problem cured. I
    hope this doesn't mean radiation of radio interference will also be on the increase; it was in
    good shape initially. Otherwise, I will be adding more jumpers. Bruce Roe
    Bruce, I have the exact same issue with the older of my two Fronius inverters. The older model has the hinged door but the newer model is bolted closed and they moved the DC cutoff switch is mounted on the bottom externally, thus no need to oped up the swinging door.

Well I called Fronius and they will, under warranty of course, replace the door and include a plug in module. Maybe I'll try your fix first.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250
    Deer will not even notice a 6' fence. Week old fawns can make a
    standing hop over a 3' fence, an adult at trot can easily clear 8'

We use 6' fencing, with 2 tension wires above it at 7' & 8' with flags on both wires so the deer can see the wires.
    Yes I know that those really wild area deer do such numbers. But experimentation here with
    these zoned AG deer indicates they generally will not attempt a 7', let alone an 8' fence. And
    the doe isn't going to go where the fawns can't follow. I'm thinking the first electric will be just
    barely above the 6' mesh, so anything trying to crawl over won't get under it. 3 more runs
    extending up to 8'. Not sure it really matter if the top are electric since the deer would be off
    the ground anyway. Not so a climber though.

I'm not so concerned if the deer see the wire or not. If they end up breaking it, I'll probably
    try barbed wire instead.

There are 10' T posts sticking up 8'. If those aren't enough, I have been known to clamp on a
    piece of rebar to add a couple more feet. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    ....... a new fence is going up. Small
    mesh 6' high and electric fence up to 8' ought to keep out dogs, deer, and anything trying to climb
    over it. When all this is in order, relocation of existing panels can be accurate, shade free, and
    perhaps much easier to tilt for snow season. Won't be done this year. Bruce Roe
    Deer will not even notice a 6' fence. Week old fawns can make a standing hop over a 3' fence, an adult at trot can easily clear 8'

We use 6' fencing, with 2 tension wires above it at 7' & 8' with flags on both wires so the deer can see the wires.

Leave a comment:

Working...