X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by bcroe
    Guess you mean, satellite view? Bruce
    Impressive picture of your system but yes I meant a satellite view.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle
    Too bad GE still shows a photo from Sept 2013. I would like to see the total array as it stands today.
    Guess you mean, satellite view? Bruce
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Hmm, there are 10 full grown turkeys wondering just outside the window now. This summer my
    PATHFINDER and I have been surveying my PV populated south acre. Earlier, I had often seen one
    PV half running at considerably less power than the other, because of shading. The relation between
    some of my panels and the trees is suboptimal.

Neither my southern lot line or anything else was square back there, as the satellite view shows.
    I spent a week surveying the area, and now can draw accurate N-S or E-W lines, and find things
    within an inch or so. A clump of trees in the NW corner was badly shading many strings from the
    setting sun. But there isn't much point trimming them unless they ALL are trimmed, and I wasn't
    sure whose land the 2 biggest trees were on. Well the new survey showed they were both on my
    lot by a couple inches, so now they are firewood. The extra sun is immediately obvious. Half a
    dozen other trees, small enough for me to control, will be trimmed.

Meantime the south border fence was rusting away and being replaced by weeds turning into real
    trees. That is stopping now, most of the 280' run is cleaned and a new fence is going up. Small
    mesh 6' high and electric fence up to 8' ought to keep out dogs, deer, and anything trying to climb
    over it. When all this is in order, relocation of existing panels can be accurate, shade free, and
    perhaps much easier to tilt for snow season. Won't be done this year. Bruce Roe
    Too bad GE still shows a photo from Sept 2013. I would like to see the total array as it stands today.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Hmm, there are 10 full grown turkeys wondering just outside the window now. This summer my
    PATHFINDER and I have been surveying my PV populated south acre. Earlier, I had often seen one
    PV half running at considerably less power than the other, because of shading. The relation between
    some of my panels and the trees is suboptimal.

Neither my southern lot line or anything else was square back there, as the satellite view shows.
    I spent a week surveying the area, and now can draw accurate N-S or E-W lines, and find things
    within an inch or so. A clump of trees in the NW corner was badly shading many strings from the
    setting sun. But there isn't much point trimming them unless they ALL are trimmed, and I wasn't
    sure whose land the 2 biggest trees were on. Well the new survey showed they were both on my
    lot by a couple inches, so now they are firewood. The extra sun is immediately obvious. Half a
    dozen other trees, small enough for me to control, will be trimmed.

Meantime the south border fence was rusting away and being replaced by weeds turning into real
    trees. That is stopping now, most of the 280' run is cleaned and a new fence is going up. Small
    mesh 6' high and electric fence up to 8' ought to keep out dogs, deer, and anything trying to climb
    over it. When all this is in order, relocation of existing panels can be accurate, shade free, and
    perhaps much easier to tilt for snow season. Won't be done this year. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Static Inverter Reset

New operational issue. The Fronius inverters have performed well for a couple years, running at
    clipping level much of every sunny day. The lower doors have a manually operated readout, and
    access a DC cutoff switch and some other stuff while running.

The other day I opened a door, and the inverter went into reset and power up cycle. It
    happened again, I don't need this. Lets see, the case is made of extruded aluminum, and
    the door is the same. A clever mechanical design allows the 2 to slide together without a
    separate hinge assembly. Well that is fine, except that aluminum likes to form a non
    conducting oxide coating. I theorize the door and case are no longer electrically connected,
    and static charge/discharge between them is disturbing the electronic controls.

Cure, I drilled & tapped some holes. Short wire jumpers were added at the top and bottom
    of the door hinge area, to keep the door securely connected to the case. Problem cured. I
    hope this doesn't mean radiation of radio interference will also be on the increase; it was in
    good shape initially. Otherwise, I will be adding more jumpers. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Climate's what you expect. Weather's what you get.
    +1. well said.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle
    Darn those unreliable weather patterns. It almost sounds like a gamble to put all my power generation into RE from the sun.
    Climate's what you expect. Weather's what you get.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Not only is the weather conspiring to keep PV production down. Now it seems smoke from the
    left coast fires is hazing up skies here in the Wild West (NW IL). Bruce Roe
    Darn those unreliable weather patterns. It almost sounds like a gamble to put all my power generation into RE from the sun.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Not only is the weather conspiring to keep PV production down. Now it seems smoke from the
    left coast fires is hazing up skies here in the Wild West (NW IL). Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    2015/16 Energy Reserve

Here is the energy reserve to date for next winter, with the 2 previous years. Generation isn't any
    better than a year ago; probably a little worse (more clouds). Its got a jump on last year, because
    this year I was heating with a new heat pump in the spring. Bruce Roe
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Originally posted by inetdog
    What surprised me,
    is after the heavy rain and the inverters came back on, the readings for the day were
    carried through, not reset.
    I guess it knows the difference between "not enough power to operate" and "no power".
    I wonder what would happen if you cover the panels well?
    It might have a clock that needs 6 hours of darkness to pass before it declares a new day. Or
    possibly could still detect a level of energy of panels running at under 0.2% but not zero. No
    way will all those panels get covered, but a power supply could be connected to emulate a very
    low light level. Or ask Fronius how they do it? Bruce Roe
    Last edited by inetdog; 07-17-2015, 03:38 AM. Reason: fixed nested QUOTE tags

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    [QUOTE=bcroe;164414]What surprised me,
    is after the heavy rain and the inverters came back on, the readings for the day were
    carried through, not reset. Running at 30%, managed 44 KWH, but the prediction is
    for 2 all out sunny days. QUOTE]
    I guess it knows the difference between "not enough power to operate" and "no power".
    I wonder what would happen if you cover the panels well?

Leave a comment:

• DanS26
    replied
    And the rain goes on......

It was already heavily overcast, but in the afternoon the sprinkles got really serious.
    It got so dark, the inverters shut down, which rarely happens days. What surprised me,
    carried through, not reset. Running at 30%, managed 44 KWH, but the prediction is
    for 2 all out sunny days. We shall see. Bruce Roe
    Same thing happened to me for the first time. It got so dark in the middle of the day that the inverters shut down. Very unusual for SE Indiana.

We had a hail storm...3/4 inch hail..no damage but I was on pins and needles as we took a pounding. Kyocera panels rated for 1" hail and came through with flying colors.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Rain

And the rain goes on......

It was already heavily overcast, but in the afternoon the sprinkles got really serious.
    It got so dark, the inverters shut down, which rarely happens days. What surprised me,
    for 2 all out sunny days. We shall see. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.
    ...... At this time however, propane storage seems a much more settled proposition than electrical energy storage in spite of all Mr. Musk seems to be doing to convince us to the contrary.
    That is because he has not invested in either the natural or bottle gas industry (yet).

Leave a comment:

Working...