X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    Just signed and submitted contracts and paperwork. Looking forward to a no hassle install commissioned by the end of July.
    Just curious how much they require up front for a purchase.

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by cyph
      My understanding is that PGE charges me based on the difference between the kwhr number from the beginning of the pay period to the end. If it counts backward, and the difference is say 20-30 kwhr instead of 850, then that's what they'd charge me. Since it's a partial month, the number shouldn't be negative. I think I will still get the benefit of a lower bill even without the net metering contract in place. I just won' get paid for excess power sold to them if it ever goes negative for the entire month.
      As long as the numbers are in fact going down while the meter is running backwards. You will be OK if they have changed your meter to one set up for net metering in preparation for the agreement being finalized.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• frizzlefry
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Ian S
        Just curious how much they require up front for a purchase.
        $1k upfront. Upon commencement, 50% (~$17k). Upon functional test passing 50%(~$17k). The others varied very slightly. I had hoped for balance at commissioning but understand why no one does that.

What I have requested is a performance bond be provided.

Comment

• Naptown
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2011

$1k upfront. Upon commencement, 50% (~$17k). Upon functional test passing 50%(~$17k). The others varied very slightly. I had hoped for balance at commissioning but understand why no one does that.

What I have requested is a performance bond be provided.
          that is pretty standard for Ca. Actually the most upfront is 1k
          The performance bond thing is a bit over the top If licensed and it seems they are since they seem to be complying with CA laws then they would be foolish to accept less than the draw schedule as stated. Bonds cost money are you willing to pay for it? A performance bond could add a grand or more to the cost of the project. So If I am to see this correctly you want the lowest price and performance bonds that you are unwilling to pay for.
          Good luck with that the contractor has not figured in these costs and will most likely tell you to have a nice day and find someone else. I know I would do the same thing. Perhaps it is 35 years in the contracting business and red flags are at full mast and turgid with a request like that. CA stacks the deck heavily toward the consumer when it comes to disputes. they are on your side you probably don't need the extra protection or cost.
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• frizzlefry
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
            The performance bond thing is a bit over the top If licensed and it seems they are since they seem to be complying with CA laws then they would be foolish to accept less than the draw schedule as stated. Bonds cost money are you willing to pay for it? A performance bond could add a grand or more to the cost of the project. So If I am to see this correctly you want the lowest price and performance bonds that you are unwilling to pay for.
            Good luck with that the contractor has not figured in these costs and will most likely tell you to have a nice day and find someone else. I know I would do the same thing. Perhaps it is 35 years in the contracting business and red flags are at full mast and turgid with a request like that. CA stacks the deck heavily toward the consumer when it comes to disputes. they are on your side you probably don't need the extra protection or cost.
            I completely agree with you on this one. Contract law is in my favor and i probably dont need the performance bond. Just overly cautious thinking on my part. I wasn't looking for lowest price initially but when it came down to the final two price became the deciding factor. Just so happens they were the lowest price.

Comment

• cyph
              • Apr 2013

I had 5 companies bid the project. I specified the new X21 series panel. Negligible price increase compared to E20. Suprising tidbit about the E20, no more black backing for future production.

Location Southern CA (Orange County)
              Utility = SCE

(24) Sunpower X21-345 Panels - 3 strings of 8 panels
              (1) SMA 8000US inverter
              System Cost = $37,100
              CSI Rebate = $1474
              Out of Pocket = $35,626
              Tax Credit = $10,687.80
              Incentive = $500 rebate after install complete
              Net Cost = $24,438.20

Rating = 7376 kWh
              First yr production = 12,785 kWh
              Current annual usage = 14,200 kWh

Gross Cost/kWh = $4.48
              Net Cost/kWh = $2.95

This is an all cash purchase. No financing. Just curious if any one has any comments or if I'm missing something here. 10% less than the next closest bid.
              I have to make a comment. Cost per kwhr is not standard and is misleading. Normally it should be calculated as Cost per AC watt. Your gross is actually 4.83 per kw AC and net is $3.31 per AC watt. As long as you're okay with that, then congrats!

Comment

• cyph
                • Apr 2013

I have to make a comment. Cost per kwhr is not standard and is misleading. Normally it should be calculated as Cost per AC watt. Your gross is actually 4.83 per kw AC and net is $3.31 per AC watt. As long as you're okay with that, then congrats!
                Sorry, I meant per DC watt not AC.

Comment

• frizzlefry
                  • Dec 2012

Sorry, I meant per DC watt not AC.
                  Actually that was my mistake.

DC STC Rating = 8280 kW
                  DC PTC Rating = 7685 kW
                  CEC-AC Rating = 7377 kW
                  CSI Rating = 7376 kW

Comment

• Ian S
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Naptown
                    Another thing I liked with my prepaid Sunpower lease - no money until system was up and running.

Comment

• bobfromnj
                      • Feb 2012

Question about Cost Per Watt?

Can someone explain the proper way of calculating the "cost per watt" and what are good numbers.
                      Seems that there is more then one way of doing this.
                      Thanks.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by bobfromnj
                        Can someone explain the proper way of calculating the "cost per watt" and what are good numbers.
                        Seems that there is more then one way of doing this.
                        Thanks.
                        System cost divided by DC watts
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bobfromnj
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by russ
                          System cost divided by DC watts
                          Sorry for the stupid question, but I still don't get it. Can you give an example.
                          Thanks.
                          p.s. also, if it matters I purchased my lease.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Installed system cost say = 5,000$
                            system DC watts = 1000

5.00$ per watt
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bobfromnj
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by russ
                              Installed system cost say = 5,000$
                              system DC watts = 1000

5.00$ per watt
                              Got it! Thank you. What's considered a good cost per watt?

Comment

• Noob
                                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by bobfromnj
                                Got it! Thank you. What's considered a good cost per watt?
                                Judging by what they tell me here it seems that reasonable prices run somewhere between $3/watt on the low end and $5-$6/watt on the high end. These are "all-in" prices for system, delivery, parts, labor, permits, fees, and (I think) tax. Please keep in mind that, as far as I understand, these are meant to be prices BEFORE any government incentives, tax rebates, or other discounts. The post-discount price/watt is often close to half the original price/watt

The expected $/watt depends on the equipment chosen, regulations, and the market in your area. I think in the northeast we're stuck on the higher side of things, which has given me pause.

[Please keep in mind I'm talking out my ass based only on what I've read here in the last few weeks.]

Comment

Working...