X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    Installation was completed yesterday with city inspection passing today. Still need to connect monitoring to the router but now really just waiting for SCE to come out. Currently they're saying two weeks average time... Let's hope so.

We had the system running for a few hours today... Too bad I couldn't run it all day. Temps hit near 90F today. WTH happened to our fall, winter and spring? Felt like summer.
    Pretend it's Indian summer. It'll chance a lot next 1-2 days.

Sunpower , right ? Enjoy the monitoring, especially at 5 min. intervals. Too bad its always about 20 min. behind and seems to need to reset overnite if you turn the computer off. Help is via e-mail and pretty lame but could be worse, IMHO.

Comment

• frizzlefry
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      Pretend it's Indian summer. It'll chance a lot next 1-2 days.

Sunpower , right ? Enjoy the monitoring, especially at 5 min. intervals. Too bad its always about 20 min. behind and seems to need to reset overnite if you turn the computer off. Help is via e-mail and pretty lame but could be worse, IMHO.
      Options for monitoring you would suggest? They're putting a powerline setup... I've been researching options but don't know what to go with.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Options for monitoring you would suggest? They're putting a powerline setup... I've been researching options but don't know what to go with.
        In all honesty, I'm pretty much of a Luddite in such matters. I know as much about monitoring as my deceased grandmother (rest her soul) knew about automobile engineering - she turned the key, the car started and she accomplished her task. I get the data from the monitor and accomplish my task - get a lot of information to analyze and guess at my system performance. The monitoring is from Sunpower, came with my purchase and has a black box thingy hooked up to an electrical outlet near my computer and a line from the black box thingy to my router. I think there is another black box thingy inside the inverter or near it and the two thingys talk to one another. Other than that it's magic. I was an engineer prior to retirement, not a computer person. I think Ian may be much better informed about Sunpower monitoring than I.

Comment

• bruno
          • Nov 2013

Need Sullivan referral code

This message is to frizzle fry...

Thanks for posting such an informative topic.

I have been researching companies for a 7kw DC install in Orange County. I also met with AMECO and almost went with them; however, after reading your post, it seems like I can get a much better deal with Sullivan.

I noticed there was talk about referral rebates. Would love to use you as my referral so that you can get credit. Do I get a discount as well? Hope so! I tried to PM you but couldn't since I am a new member.

Is there a particular sales person you recommend working with? If so, what is his name and number?

I hope you are enjoying your new Sunpower system. I originally planned on getting a Sunpower system but since I have room, I may end up going with a less expensive panel, still not completely sure yet. Decisions, decisions!

Anyways, thanks again and look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bruno

I have been researching companies for a 7kw DC install in Orange County. I also met with AMECO and almost went with them; however, after reading your post, it seems like I can get a much better deal with Sullivan.

I noticed there was talk about referral rebates. Would love to use you as my referral so that you can get credit. Do I get a discount as well? Hope so! I tried to PM you but couldn't since I am a new member.

Is there a particular sales person you recommend working with? If so, what is his name and number?

I hope you are enjoying your new Sunpower system. I originally planned on getting a Sunpower system but since I have room, I may end up going with a less expensive panel, still not completely sure yet. Decisions, decisions!

Regards,
            From San Diego:

Go to the "Go Solar California" website & download the latest data set. It has info about solar systems sold in CA since 2007 or so. LOTS of good, useful info for decision making. Prices & more. Add col. to the spreadsheet for price/Watt or whatever you want. Sort by zip code, vendor, date, equipment, price/Watt or whatever. See what your neighbors paid and who did their work. In Orange co. you'll probably find good (non-Sunpower) equip. for about $3.40 - $3.75/Watt. Sunpower about $4.50/Watt. More than that, you're probably overpaying. Sunpower's good stuff; a Mercedes. You may need a Ford or a Toyota. You're buying an appliance, not a lifestyle. If not space limited, less may be more, depending on location, type of roof, etc. Also, FWIW, I'd suggest considering a (electrical) contractor who has been around a while & has a reputation. Sullivan seems good, but there are others probably equally qualified w/similar or less pricing.Again, check the CSI data set. Get quotes & ask a lot of questions.

Comment

• bruno
              • Nov 2013

From San Diego:

Go to the "Go Solar California" website & download the latest data set. It has info about solar systems sold in CA since 2007 or so. LOTS of good, useful info for decision making. Prices & more. Add col. to the spreadsheet for price/Watt or whatever you want. Sort by zip code, vendor, date, equipment, price/Watt or whatever. See what your neighbors paid and who did their work. In Orange co. you'll probably find good (non-Sunpower) equip. for about $3.40 - $3.75/Watt. Sunpower about $4.50/Watt. More than that, you're probably overpaying. Sunpower's good stuff; a Mercedes. You may need a Ford or a Toyota. You're buying an appliance, not a lifestyle. If not space limited, less may be more, depending on location, type of roof, etc. Also, FWIW, I'd suggest considering a (electrical) contractor who has been around a while & has a reputation. Sullivan seems good, but there are others probably equally qualified w/similar or less pricing.Again, check the CSI data set. Get quotes & ask a lot of questions.
              Thanks J.P.M!

Just downloaded the data set...wow, talk about a wealth of information! I need to brush up on my spreadsheet skills just to condense that list to a manageable level! I know what I will be doing during this Thanksgiving break...

You seem to be very well informed...do you have any recommendations on solar panels that are not as expensive as SunPower but still are considered good panels?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• bruno
                • Nov 2013

I had 5 companies bid the project. I specified the new X21 series panel. Negligible price increase compared to E20. Suprising tidbit about the E20, no more black backing for future production.

Location Southern CA (Orange County)
                Utility = SCE

(24) Sunpower X21-345 Panels - 3 strings of 8 panels
                (1) SMA 8000US inverter
                System Cost = $37,100
                CSI Rebate = $1474
                Out of Pocket = $35,626
                Tax Credit = $10,687.80
                Incentive = $500 rebate after install complete
                Net Cost = $24,438.20

DC STC Rating = 8280 kW
                DC PTC Rating = 7685 kW
                CEC-AC Rating = 7377 kW
                CSI Rating = 7376 kW
                First yr production = 12,785 kWh
                Current annual usage = 14,200 kWh

Gross Cost/kW DC = $4.48
                Net Cost/kW DC = $ 2.95

This is an all cash purchase. No financing. Just curious if any one has any comments or if I'm missing something here. 10% less than the next closest bid.
                frizzlefry..

I am reposting my earlier post just in case I didn't do it correctly the first time...sorry for the redundancy!

Comment

• frizzlefry
                  • Dec 2012

frizzlefry..

I am reposting my earlier post just in case I didn't do it correctly the first time...sorry for the redundancy!

Yes there is a referral program and you and I would both get credit. You can PM me your email address and I'll send you mine.

As for the salesperson involved, it will most likely be Hans. Nice friendly guy. No pressure. They're pretty busy these days but if you want to just submit your judo in their site they should get back pretty quick.

I know I got a pretty decent pricing on the system and I haven't heard of anyone else getting the same deal. But they should be competitive with Ameco.

Comment

• bruno
                    • Nov 2013

Yes there is a referral program and you and I would both get credit. You can PM me your email address and I'll send you mine.

As for the salesperson involved, it will most likely be Hans. Nice friendly guy. No pressure. They're pretty busy these days but if you want to just submit your judo in their site they should get back pretty quick.

I know I got a pretty decent pricing on the system and I haven't heard of anyone else getting the same deal. But they should be competitive with Ameco.

Unfortunately, I cannot PM yet as I only have 3 (now 4) posts. Is it possible for you to PM me and then I can send you my email?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Thanks J.P.M!

Just downloaded the data set...wow, talk about a wealth of information! I need to brush up on my spreadsheet skills just to condense that list to a manageable level! I know what I will be doing during this Thanksgiving break...

You seem to be very well informed...do you have any recommendations on solar panels that are not as expensive as SunPower but still are considered good panels?

Thanks in advance!
                      Thank you. I'm probably only informed enough to be dangerous to myself and hopefully unscrupulous peddlers.

I'm not in a position to make recommendations. However, There are probably several good manufacturers and contractors in combination that can sell you an adequate system such that you'll not regret it later. Opinions vary. LG, Kyocera, Canadian Solar, Solarworld and others come to mind. There are others. I keep an eye on solar installs for the HOA around here. I don't like being so cynical and usually bite my tongue, but it's sad to see how badly informed most folks are and thus how badly most folks get completely screwed. One neighbor just got rushed into a Sunpower sytem that is IMHO inappropriate for the situation. They paid $6.25/Watt and are as happy as slopped hogs. !I'm quite certain that given a concrete tile roof and reasonable location you can get a good system for $3.40-$3.60/Watt with one or more of the above names. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• bruno
                        • Nov 2013

Thank you. I'm probably only informed enough to be dangerous to myself and hopefully unscrupulous peddlers.

I'm not in a position to make recommendations. However, There are probably several good manufacturers and contractors in combination that can sell you an adequate system such that you'll not regret it later. Opinions vary. LG, Kyocera, Canadian Solar, Solarworld and others come to mind. There are others. I keep an eye on solar installs for the HOA around here. I don't like being so cynical and usually bite my tongue, but it's sad to see how badly informed most folks are and thus how badly most folks get completely screwed. One neighbor just got rushed into a Sunpower sytem that is IMHO inappropriate for the situation. They paid $6.25/Watt and are as happy as slopped hogs. !I'm quite certain that given a concrete tile roof and reasonable location you can get a good system for $3.40-$3.60/Watt with one or more of the above names. Caveat Emptor.
                        Thanks J.P.M!

When you say $3.40-$3.60/Watt, are you talking before (Gross) or after (Net) discounts/rebates/fed tax write-off?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Thanks J.P.M!

When you say $3.40-$3.60/Watt, are you talking before (Gross) or after (Net) discounts/rebates/fed tax write-off?
                          That's gross paid to the vendor. Take any CSI rebate off that and then 30% off the remainder for the net price, bottom line drive off, dealer prep, freight. title, taxes, goofs & giggles. Some other resident (neighbor) I know of, with my information input, paid $3.40/Watt for a 6760 Watt LG system w/ Enphase inverters ($22984). Net cost will be like $15,300 +/- some after CSI rebate and 30% fed. tax credit or about $2.26/Watt or so. One or 2 other folks on this forum I spoke w/ via PM did similar - $3.60/Watt for Kyocera and another LG sys. for $3.64/Watt including a panel update.

Shop around and get quotes. I'd respectfully suggest keeping in mind you're probably after most bang for your buck as you define it, not necessarily low price. It's terrible to pay too much, but in the end it may be worse to pay too little. 10 years from now you may not remember what you paid, but you'll probably remember a troublesome system that underperformed that some vendor cheapened up on because you squeezed his gonads too hard.

Conserve first. Don't oversize and buy smart.

Comment

• silversaver
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2013

If you call Sullivan, I think they have some Bosch 245W panels for under $3 per Watt. How do I know? Because they accidentally drop off 26 panels at my door instead of the 255W panels. I got the 255W panels for $2.84 per Watts (Gross)

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by silversaver
                              If you call Sullivan, I think they have some Bosch 245W panels for under $3 per Watt. How do I know? Because they accidentally drop off 26 panels at my door instead of the 255W panels. I got the 255W panels for $2.84 per Watts (Gross)
                              That's a great deal. Congrads. I'd bet part of that price had to do w/ Bosch pulling out of the U.S. market or going belly up as discussed about a month ago on this forum.

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

That's a great deal. Congrads. I'd bet part of that price had to do w/ Bosch pulling out of the U.S. market or going belly up as discussed about a month ago on this forum.
                                Bosch exiting the solar market. I have read many people worry about which the solar manufactures might belly up, I don't have to worry about that. They are still under Bosch warranty and made in Germany. I first thought of using a Bigger brand name with micro inverters, later discovering a central inverter works the best for me which all panels on same roof without shading issue. If you believe in less part with lesser failure, then I pick the SMA 6000TL which has the highest efficiency with single MPP tracker. I know they are more futures on other inverters such as dual MPP tracker, emergency power outlet when grid is down, individual monitoring, 25 years warranty...etc Oh well, I'm not going to argue which is the best setup. I like mine and price is great. I'll get my money worth in 6 years.

Comment

Working...