Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NukeEngineer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2017

SE replaced this inverter as well. Probably a bad manufacturing batch, as these were the first 6Ks off the line.

I did kinda think Butch's "installer" comment was a jab, but it's sometimes hard to read intention through text. I have 100% confidence in my install, all equipment was treated like the expensive newborn babies they were (ever seen 40 newborns get pulled up a ladder one at a time with a rope? maybe this is a bad analogy), and I checked and double-checked everything. I even purchased $400 worth of MC4 to H4 adapter/jumpers to connect my H4 panels to the MC4 P400s. Probably wasn't necessary, but I didn't want to risk the inspector claiming H4 to MC4 is not a UL-listed mating, and definitely didn't want to risk connector failure and a meltdown/fire.

As for these LCD-free inverters, I would really really prefer a screen! I physically check my inverters several times a week for odd sounds, error codes, temperature (hand on fins, not whats on the display, temp probes can fail and read whatever), and just general output and operation/responsiveness to buttons. I feel like a local LCD on a device is much less likely to "lie" or otherwise display incorrect/old data than a networked connection, particularly if its going out to a cloud service first. I thought I saw where they were replacing the LCD with OLED displays, which won't have cold issues since it's basically an array of LEDs anyway.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by JSchnee21
      Hi motorcyclemikie,

"anybody want to buy my new SE7600H, it's brand-new without Wi-Fi, I want to buy a new one with Wi-Fi."

So far, I have not seen any convincing evidence that the new, LCD display free, HD-series can actually connect to your home WiFi access point (even with an extra external antenna). It seems as this may be planned going forward, but not available yet.
      There has been several internal about it that I can't give out yet but SolarEdge itself has made the statement that the Wifi is coming as well as home automation support with zigbee. You can watch it yourself from SPI. Just like with the other devices you mentioned, the capability is there and they just need to add the setup (they already have the physical antenna as it is the same as the one they used before).

Originally posted by JSchnee21
      Hi motorcyclemikie To be fair -- I'm a very tech savy user -- IT, Automation, and Robotics is a big part of my professional career. But my home wifi is and has always been the biggest PIA of any IT project I've ever managed. I've completely scrapped it and replaced it at least 5 times over and it is still garbage for the most part.

From a reliability standpoint -- which is what you'd really want for all of your smart home and automation components, ideally, there's nothing better than Ethernet.
      not to mention getting monitoring reset up every time a homeowner changes the wifi, router,etc. wired is much more problem free.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by NukeEngineer
        SE replaced this inverter as well. Probably a bad manufacturing batch, as these were the first 6Ks off the line.

I did kinda think Butch's "installer" comment was a jab, but it's sometimes hard to read intention through text. I have 100% confidence in my install, all equipment was treated like the expensive newborn babies they were (ever seen 40 newborns get pulled up a ladder one at a time with a rope? maybe this is a bad analogy), and I checked and double-checked everything. I even purchased $400 worth of MC4 to H4 adapter/jumpers to connect my H4 panels to the MC4 P400s. Probably wasn't necessary, but I didn't want to risk the inspector claiming H4 to MC4 is not a UL-listed mating, and definitely didn't want to risk connector failure and a meltdown/fire.
        It was not a jab. just pointing out that no matter who the installer is and how careful they might be, they were a common element and might have made the same mistake (unknowingly or through inexperience etc)

The MC4 to H4 adapter/jumpers is also a common element and could be a part of the communication problems, essentially doubling the connectors and noise on the lines.

As for these LCD-free inverters, I would really really prefer a screen! I physically check my inverters several times a week for odd sounds, error codes, temperature (hand on fins, not whats on the display, temp probes can fail and read whatever), and just general output and operation/responsiveness to buttons. I feel like a local LCD on a device is much less likely to "lie" or otherwise display incorrect/old data than a networked connection, particularly if its going out to a cloud service first. I thought I saw where they were replacing the LCD with OLED displays, which won't have cold issues since it's basically an array of LEDs anyway.
        You will still have the ability to check the inverter locally for odd sounds, error codes, temperature etc. It has a nice color coded LED that you can quickly sight as well.
        check near the end of this video..

SolarEdge has always had a cold climate version for more money but now there will be one version without the cold limitation.
        Last edited by ButchDeal; 02-22-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• NukeEngineer
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

It was not a jab. just pointing out that no matter who the installer is and how careful they might be, they were a common element and might have made the same mistake (unknowingly or through inexperience etc)

The MC4 to H4 adapter/jumpers is also a common element and could be a part of the communication problems, essentially doubling the connectors and noise on the lines.

You will still have the ability to check the inverter locally for odd sounds, error codes, temperature etc. It has a nice color coded LED that you can quickly sight as well.
          check near the end of this video..

SolarEdge has always had a cold climate version for more money but now there will be one version without the cold limitation.
          The MC4 to H4 adapter are from panel to P400, not between P400s. They are not in the communication line between optimizers and inverter at all.

I watched the video, and the SetApp sounds neat, but they should have added that as a feature and left the LCD in place. This is cost savings 100%! No LCD, no IR emitter/sensors for the touch window buttons, less comms board space needed for these, and slightly less complicated firmware as they can remove the polled or interrupt driven window button inputs and the thread in their RTOS for driving the display updates (the one positive thing here, less complicated software for them).

At least add a power output meter, either an analog gauge (awesome!) or an LED bargraph!

When you shutdown, how will the user know when safe voltage is achieved? With the LCD, there's a message and DC voltage display.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

I thought I saw where they were replacing the LCD with OLED displays,
            which won't have cold issues since it's basically an array of LEDs anyway.
            Interesting, my Fronius rated at -4F did just fine for our new record -31F, but maybe that rating
            was for the display. In the shed, they had been running all day when I took a reading, had time
            to warm the display some. I did not think to check the panel voltage, no problem since I only
            string 12 instead of the 13 some do. Bruce Roe

Comment

• NukeEngineer
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by bcroe

Interesting, my Fronius rated at -4F did just fine for our new record -31F, but maybe that rating
              was for the display. In the shed, they had been running all day when I took a reading, had time
              to warm the display some. I did not think to check the panel voltage, no problem since I only
              string 12 instead of the 13 some do. Bruce Roe
              If they are running, then their internal temps will be elevated high enough to let the LCD function. I don't believe cold destroys LCDs, though I guess the liquid has a freezing point, but they definitely cause them significant delay in darkening their pixels. For a display with changing values, it makes them useless. If it's a static display message, then eventually the message will show up.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

The MC4 to H4 adapter are from panel to P400, not between P400s. They are not in the communication line between optimizers and inverter at all.
                You are absolutely right. my mistake there. Though they are an additional failure point on the DC conductivity,

I watched the video, and the SetApp sounds neat, but they should have added that as a feature and left the LCD in place. This is cost savings 100%! No LCD, no IR emitter/sensors for the touch window buttons, less comms board space needed for these, and slightly less complicated firmware as they can remove the polled or interrupt driven window button inputs and the thread in their RTOS for driving the display updates (the one positive thing here, less complicated software for them).

At least add a power output meter, either an analog gauge (awesome!) or an LED bargraph!
                Well for now it is an option. It is a pain in the ass though to maintain all the different models.
                You have RGM models common in the north east where SOME of the north east has climate temperatures requiring the cold weather screens, and toss in EV charger options

standard HDWave
                RGM HDWave
                Low Temp HDWave
                Low Temp RGM HDwave
                EV HDWave
                RGM EV HDWave
                Low Temp EV HDWave
                Low Temp RGM EV HDWave

Now with Set app they just have:
                SetApp HDWave
                RGM SetApp HDWave
                EV SetApp HDWave
                RGM EV SetApp HDWave

I have no doubt that it cost came into the equation but I am explaining that other matters came in as well.

They have a low cost smaller inverter line that is sold outside the US for systems with under 8 PV modules. This is where the SetApp comes from.

When you shutdown, how will the user know when safe voltage is achieved? With the LCD, there's a message and DC voltage display.
                They are still in compliance with full rapidshutdown. The SolarEdge inverters since the HDWave models have automatic rapid shutdown, that activates when AC is disconnected.

Also on this video at around 3:02 you can see the wifi communications option along with lan etc... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfw1yxMsaNY

Comment

• JohnnyAirtime
                  • May 2019

Looks like one of my inverters is failing. It was reporting a 18xBF HW error over and over. The cycle was: begin producing (clicks), 1 to 2 seconds later it would stop and report the error, then do a 30 second wakeup and start the cycle over.

I powered it completely down on AC and DC side for a few minutes, but that didn't help. However, I noticed it didn't error out as long as the clouds had the output down to about 400w or less. As soon as it tried to go over 500w it would trip off again.

A Google search showed nothing for this error code. Anyone else seen this? My other inverter seems to be working fine.

Solaredge gets an early call from me tomorrow, woooo!
                  Searched good ol' google and found your post....
                  Signed up, and had to wait to be granted access to reply...
                  So, here I am;

With the same error code, and a dead inverter (SE7600). 1 of 2, so at least I have 50%.

The system (17.4kw) has been in service since Nov of 2018. I got about 6mo of use before it died.

The good; Solaredge logged in to my system, and made a quick decision to RMA the inverter and send me another. Not sure yet whether it's the same model or the newer, without LCD display. We shall see... supposed to arrive tomorrow. No longer do they do "expedite" delivery or overnight. That was kind of a bummer. Sad to see so much sun here... when it's been raining for weeks on end, or gloomy and my production low. Now that I have 1 dead inverter, of course it's bright and sunny EVERY day since.

Anyway... thought to report back to the original poster and let you know... same issue here, resulted in a replaced inverter under warranty from Solar Edge.

... good day folks!!

PS: I'm a self installer (my wife and I, even with a lower back pain slowing me down). (56) panel ground mount array. Did everything from plans/permit up to the final (PTO) in under 30 days. Even used my 50yr old Case tractor (with backhoe or gannon attachments) to dig the 225' trench and clear a huge area on my property by moving yards and yards of dirt. Assisted by my skidsteer with auger to dig the 60 post holes. The worse, was 140 bags of concrete to mix and hand pour via bucket. I used to be in the I.T. field (Voice PBX and VoIP), so running a Cat5E for network connection back to the inverters was a no-brainer. Too far for Wifi and no cellular where I live. So I take a bit of offense to ButchDeal's comment, even though it may not have been meant as to belittle any "self installers". I did have my licensed electrician friend come in and do the final tie-in (before inspection of course) just to make sure I didn't do something so critical incorrectly. Other than one optimizer failing (and it too being replaced under warranty), it's been a great system!!! Just wish I had installed battery backup capable inverters at the time of install, since I've thought about going off-grid lately.

My array;
                  2018-11-01 11.12.15 (small).jpg
                  Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 06-02-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JohnnyAirtime

The system (17.4kw) has been in service since Nov of 2018. I got about 6mo of use before it died.

PS: I'm a self installer (my wife and I, even with a lower back pain slowing me down). (56) panel ground mount array. Did everything from plans/permit up to the final (PTO) in under 30 days. Even used my 50yr old Case tractor (with backhoe or gannon attachments) to dig the 225' trench and clear a huge area on my property by moving yards and yards of dirt. Assisted by my skidsteer with auger to dig the 60 post holes. The worse, was 140 bags of concrete to mix and hand pour via bucket. I used to be in the I.T. field (Voice PBX and VoIP), so running a Cat5E for network connection back to the inverters was a no-brainer. Too far for Wifi and no cellular where I live. So I take a bit of offense to ButchDeal's comment, even though it may not have been meant as to belittle any "self installers". I did have my licensed electrician friend come in and do the final tie-in (before inspection of course) just to make sure I didn't do something so critical incorrectly. Other than one optimizer failing (and it too being replaced under warranty), it's been a great system!!! Just wish I had installed battery backup capable inverters at the time of install, since I've thought about going off-grid lately.
                    That looks very nice, perhaps you will not have so many failures once it has been running
                    a while. I cannot see why it was necessary to move yards and yards of dirt, but I would cut
                    down that tree. Your numbers sound a lot like mine.

Where would you put 17KW if you went off grid? Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Searched good ol' google and found your post....
                      Signed up, and had to wait to be granted access to reply...
                      So, here I am;

With the same error code, and a dead inverter (SE7600). 1 of 2, so at least I have 50%.

The good; Solaredge logged in to my system, and made a quick decision to RMA the inverter and send me another. Not sure yet whether it's the same model or the newer, without LCD display. We shall see... supposed to arrive tomorrow. No longer do they do "expedite" delivery or overnight. That was kind of a bummer. Sad to see so much sun here... when it's been raining for weeks on end, or gloomy and my production low. Now that I have 1 dead inverter, of course it's bright and sunny EVERY day since.

Anyway... thought to report back to the original poster and let you know... same issue here, resulted in a replaced inverter under warranty from Solar Edge.

... good day folks!!

My array;
                      2018-11-01 11.12.15 (small).jpg
                      I'm with Bruce on the tree. If your array is mostly equator facing and if the photo was taken around one of the equinoxes or so, the shadow from the tree will be cast on the array from ~ noon onward when the sun shines on most every day of the year. Optimizers will help, that tree will still cost output.

Comment

• JohnnyAirtime
                        • May 2019

Thanks for the concern over the "tree" shading... Even though it's not why I posted, I appreciate the info and knowledge. Yet, I know it's not doing good for my generation numbers. Since the solar went in, the trees that are doing the shading have been cut back considerably. Also, my plan is to eventually move a string to the other side of the array. Which, would be 6 post holes more to dig. The reason it didn't go in that way in the first place... was due to the granite vein that runs across my property. With time... I'll get those 6 posts dug, and move the shaded string.

And Bruce... I'd not have such a battery size to utilize the 17.4kW. Of course, that'd be an incredible cost and take up some room. Another reason I decided against it and went simple... grid tied solar.

... back to topic. I'm eager to get the new replacement inverter in place. Supposed to be sunny for a long while now.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Thanks for the concern over the "tree" shading... Even though it's not why I posted, I appreciate the info and knowledge. Yet, I know it's not doing good for my generation numbers. Since the solar went in, the trees that are doing the shading have been cut back considerably. Also, my plan is to eventually move a string to the other side of the array. Which, would be 6 post holes more to dig. The reason it didn't go in that way in the first place... was due to the granite vein that runs across my property. With time... I'll get those 6 posts dug, and move the shaded string.

And Bruce... I'd not have such a battery size to utilize the 17.4kW. Of course, that'd be an incredible cost and take up some room. Another reason I decided against it and went simple... grid tied solar.

... back to topic. I'm eager to get the new replacement inverter in place. Supposed to be sunny for a long while now.
                          One more off topic: That location, terrain and array look familiar. I can see a good portion of n. county San Diego from my house. What's your zip ? Just curious.

Comment

• JohnnyAirtime
                            • May 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.

One more off topic: That location, terrain and array look familiar. I can see a good portion of n. county San Diego from my house. What's your zip ? Just curious.
                            It's familiar... because I'm in San Diego County. Alpine to be specific. However, guarantee you can't see the house/array... we're in a canyon, and you can't see my house from the road. Only my 20k gal water tank. My backyard, ends Alpine to the East. Backed up against Cleveland National Forrest. Which then, if your a hunter or a hiker... with great eyesight or some binos... you can see the array from a local trail. About 600+ yards away.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

It's familiar... because I'm in San Diego County. Alpine to be specific. However, guarantee you can't see the house/array... we're in a canyon, and you can't see my house from the road. Only my 20k gal water tank. My backyard, ends Alpine to the East. Backed up against Cleveland National Forrest. Which then, if your a hunter or a hiker... with great eyesight or some binos... you can see the array from a local trail. About 600+ yards away.
                              Thank you. Understood. I'm aware you're in S.D. county from your sign up data and then looked at the photo. The array and terrain look similar to that about 2 miles NE of me in Valley Center.

I'm At ~ 1,400 + ft. el. and can see about 1/2 of S.D. north county. Fun to watch how arrays have blossomed in the last 10-12 years, especially in the evening when they randomly reflect light for a few minutes and look like beacons popping on/off randomly for 10-15 minutes about 1/2 hr. or so before sunset.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

• JohnnyAirtime
                                • May 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.

I'm At ~ 1,400 + ft. el. and can see about 1/2 of S.D. north county. Fun to watch how arrays have blossomed in the last 10-12 years, especially in the evening when they randomly reflect light for a few minutes and look like beacons popping on/off randomly for 10-15 minutes about 1/2 hr. or so before sunset.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
                                Very cool. I'm at 3200', and my 9 acres butts up (as I mentioned) to CNF. So, my view is not of the neighbors or anyone for that matter, but the lovely hillside. And we're treated to snow a few times a year;

58444747_10219268625293175_8969914476140691456_n.jpg52744625_10218769819823350_2351171643084111872_n.jpg

Installed the new (LCD less) SE7600H yesterday, and am overly happy to say I'm again at full capacity! I wasn't too happy that the newer inverter mounts at the top differently. It took me a few extra minutes to get'er properly installed using my unistrut. The sticker came off the old cover well, so I was able to re-use it.

2019-06-03 18.02.31-1 (small).jpgimage_12402.jpg

I hope NukeEngineer has had the same success!!!
                                Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...