No announcement yet.

HD Wave inverter failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have had the same issue with over 8 HD wave inverters, at multiple locations. We have error codes 181 and 183 internal errors. Solaredge tells us it is our grid that is causing the issue. We have had to replace 8 inverters under warranty. Not to mention we also have had 9 optimizers failure. All of this has happened in under 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

are the serial numbers close?

There is a common element between the two inverters..... The installer..
      That was a cheap shot.
      There seems to be a lot of animosity on here towards DIY installers why is that?
      I read a lot about installers that have gone out of business, or are too busy to honor their warranty for their customers, who else is going to take care of it except the homeowner? it's not like you can just throw it in your car and take it to the closest shop for repairs like you would a non-functioning computer system.

DIY installs may not always be a good choice but sometimes they're the only logical choice, since 85% of installers are out of business within five years what's up with that?
      Better to test for 8, use 16, than have to buy 24!

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie View Post

That was a cheap shot.
        There seems to be a lot of animosity on here towards DIY installers why is that?
        Not a cheap shot at all and not directed at DIY directly either.

This would be the same with DIY or installers. My experience has been that when we have multiple failures of optimizers/inverters, it was the installer making install and/or handling mistakes.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Not a cheap shot at all and not directed at DIY directly either.

This would be the same with DIY or installers. My experience has been that when we have multiple failures of optimizers/inverters, it was the installer making install and/or handling mistakes.

I have noticed that the failures also can be affected by the date of manufacture (on the optimizers )and also where they are produced. solaredge sells their optimizers with various upgrades that they label as a new series and not a new model number.

I recently purchased a set of optimizers for my upcoming system build. I chose European built optimizers as opposed to chinese-built and I chose new ones with a relatively current build date. hopefully this will minimize failures, I will have to let you know at some later date.

I also understand that getting warranties for solaredge products is a little bit involved.

So, do the turnkey buyers get the capability of choosing parts with a better survival rate, or are they at the mercy of their installers in their knowledge of the products?
          I believe that the knowledge I have gained through the process of being a DIY 'er gives me an advantage over a "Larry with a ladder" type of bang it out installation.
          Last edited by motorcyclemikie; Yesterday, 05:53 PM.
          Better to test for 8, use 16, than have to buy 24!

Comment

We just replaced all the Powerboxes (now they are called Optimizers) at an 8 year old Solar Edge site. The MC4 connectors were falling apart. Of course this is in Arizona dry climate but all the connectors were in the shade underneath the PV panels. I've never seen this happen to solar connectors and chalk it up to bad design in their choice of connector manufacturer. SolarEdge replaced all of them under warranty and even paid us to do the service, but I just can't tolerate this kind of problem and now avoid using this brand.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, >1700kW installed

Comment

Granted the "HD" line is a newer product. But it seems like this series has had / is having a lot more hardware / firmware / configuration related issues than the older A'series. Simultaneously it's strange to me that their big new upgrade is to remove the LCD diagnostic and configuration panel on the new models.

Still no Wifi internet connectivity in the USA
              Removal of diagnostic display (what does this save $100?)
              Lower reliability?
              Reduced inverter capacity for some nameplates
              Units run very hot given no fans. Perhaps this will make them "more reliable" But I think not. Fan failures are easily diagnosed and replaced. Cooked electronics not so much.

Cheaper, faster, better. -- pick 2.

Comment

Working...
              X