Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jflorey2
    replied
    Originally posted by solisd2020
    I'm sorry I am new at this, I also plug in a jigsaw with same results, I've got two (12v) batteries connected in such a way to stay with 12v. My two solar panels are worth 200 watts. and I have a 3000 watt Power inverter. Thanks.
    As a guess your batteries and/or wiring isn't cutting it.

Let's assume some numbers. Your grinder might take 1500 watts to start up. 1500 watts is 125 amps. That requires two good (fairly new 100ah or so batteries) with at least 2 gauge wiring if the wiring run is short. If it's long you need closer to 1/0.

If you are using lesser batteries or thinner wire, the voltage is probably dropping too low and the inverter is cutting out.

Also not sure of what inverter you are using, but if it's the cheapest 12V inverter you could find on Amazon, it is likely not really a 3000 watt inverter.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    I'm sorry I am new at this, I also plug in a jigsaw with same results, I've got two (12v) batteries connected in such a way to stay with 12v. My two solar panels are worth 200 watts. and I have a 3000 watt Power inverter. Thanks.
    Well unless those batteries are rated for your system it is probably not providing enough power to run your grinder. The batteries may also not being fully charged although with 400 watts they should provide about 33 charging amps unless you really don't have a true MPPT CC. And the 3000 watt inverter will slowly drain your battery even without a load.

Leave a comment:

• solisd2020
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Hello,
    I have a basic solar panel system consisting of two solar panels with charge controller (MPPT) and inverter, everything was working fine until today I started the angle grinder and then the inverter shuts off, I touch the back of the solar inverter and it's somewhat warm, then I turn on the grinder again and it shuts off again, any advise?

Thanks.
    MY guess is that the grinder pulls down the battery voltage (you did not mention the size of the battery or panel wattage) below what the inverter is looking for.

Leave a comment:

• solisd2020
    replied
    Hello,
    I have a basic solar panel system consisting of two solar panels with charge controller (MPPT) and inverter, everything was working fine until today I started the angle grinder and then the inverter shuts off, I touch the back of the solar inverter and it's somewhat warm, then I turn on the grinder again and it shuts off again, any advise?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Fordtrucksforever
    replied
    Sorry to bring this thread back up. It was entertaining to read tho. But what was the guy actually trying to do? Was he reinventing what nasa already has a patent for? This nasa page was last updated in 2015.
    https://www.nasa.gov/ames-partnershi...or-solar-cells
    Another similar article was printed in the Green Optimist back in 2009.
    Georgia Tech researchers have developed a system that uses dye-sensitized (Grätzel) solar cells wrapped around optical fibers to increase their overall efficiency, since it's known Grätzel cells are not very efficient. The fiber solar cells they obtained are 6 times more efficient than zinc-oxide solar cells having the same area.
    Last edited by Fordtrucksforever; 10-31-2019, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by waqar85
    Greetings!
    Please can anyone explain to me that battery bank charging time depends on panels power?
    if i increase days of anatomy in PVSyst why only battery bank capacity increase not the panels power?
    Thank....
    Lead Acid batteries, generally want to be charged at about 10% of their capacity. If it's a 200ah battery, you should be able to provide 20A for charging.
    With solar, you may not have enough hours in a day to do a "preferred gentle" charge, and have to charge with more amps in the short winter days. Or use a generator to assist the charging.
    So, actually, a larger battery bank does need more charging capacity.

Leave a comment:

• waqar85
    replied
    Greetings!

Please can anyone explain to me that battery bank charging time depends on panels power?
    if i increase days of anatomy in PVSyst why only battery bank capacity increase not the panels power?
    Thank....

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Glock24
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and I've been reading many threads with a lot of useful information.

And then I got to this one and I just cannot resist to comment.

This guy "EX for U" is just like the homeopathy loons, trying to convince people that they have a huge "secret" and that "conventional" science (which is real science in normal people speak) cannot explain it. And he or his "corporation" may also be scammers too.

The guy's blog is full of stuff like "free energy", "eternal batteries" and conspiracy theories about corporations not wanting your to know about those wonderful things.

My guess is this guy did not come seeking any advise, he just wanted to spread his "knowledge" and talk about his "secret" so it appears on google searches.

Sorry to be offtopic, but the pseudoscience people get on my nerves.
    Hello Glock24 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I would not worry about EX to U since their last post was almost a year a go. They are gone along with the BS they were peddling.

Leave a comment:

• Glock24
    replied
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and I've been reading many threads with a lot of useful information.

And then I got to this one and I just cannot resist to comment.

This guy "EX for U" is just like the homeopathy loons, trying to convince people that they have a huge "secret" and that "conventional" science (which is real science in normal people speak) cannot explain it. And he or his "corporation" may also be scammers too.

The guy's blog is full of stuff like "free energy", "eternal batteries" and conspiracy theories about corporations not wanting your to know about those wonderful things.

My guess is this guy did not come seeking any advise, he just wanted to spread his "knowledge" and talk about his "secret" so it appears on google searches.

Sorry to be offtopic, but the pseudoscience people get on my nerves.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by sunking

i read your blog and all i see is junk science and poppycock. That is not teaching, that is fraud.
    +1

j.p.m.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by Ex to U

I am not qualified to even say that I am a teacher, on the same statement I am teaching
    I read your BLOG and all I see is Junk Science and Poppycock. That is not teaching, that is Fraud.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    while we're all entitled to our own opinions, we're not entitled to our own facts

Well, I'm a gonna weigh in with my standard debunking statement:
    When you cut the power lines going to your house/shop/school and I see the lights are still on after 2 rainy days, you will have my attention.

Increasing amps, electronics terminology gibberish, fiber optic batteries, and substandard english in your blog, don't inspire hope in my heart for your students, who will get schooled quite quickly in real life, when they leave your presence, and if they really wake up, they are likely to be quite angry, as I would be.

Leave a comment:

• Ex to U
    replied
    Originally posted by J.P.M.

While being as or more guilty as anyone else of bloviating, I'd suggest all this is off the topic of things related to the sign over the door that says "Solar Panel Talk".
    I have to totally agree but the day I stepped on to this board everyone let me have it, I have to say I just wanted to ask questions to see if anyone was experimenting with new ideas, I think I may just go elsewhere I think I'm being too disruptive just from asking the questions I'm asking, I think you guys anyway I'll be seeing you around

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Ex to U

I am not qualified to even say that I am a teacher, on the same statement I am teaching Are Young people in a workshop to have imagination and to think outside the box, I tell them it doesn't matter if it didn't work it's all about the attempt which teaches us what we can and cannot do. I also say do not accept what people say is impossible, for the day you do that there is nothing new they can ever be invented
    While being as or more guilty as anyone else of bloviating, I'd suggest all this is off the topic of things related to the sign over the door that says "Solar Panel Talk".

Leave a comment:

Working...