Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapmaker
    replied
    Originally posted by shawnmich
    i want to increase the charging rate so am thinking maybe i use current booster to increase the solar panel amps by connecting the current booster to the solar panel, then the output of the current booster to the solar charger controller which will now increase the output amps
    The correct way to do what you want is to replace your charge controller with an MPPT type of controller. In your case, it will not be cost effective to do so.... it would be cheaper to just buy another solar panel, as 'livingincebu' suggested.

Also, unless your battery is an AGM type battery (which can handle higher charge currents), you already have an adequate charging rate.

Regarding your question about boosting amps... you will never be able to exceed the output watts of your panel. And you will rarely, if ever, get the rated power from your panel. Your panel will produce up to 18 volts and up to 8 amps. 18 volts X 8 amps = 144 watts. That represents the max power possible. Typically, you get about 75% of that.

If you use an electronic device to increase the output current (amps) it will come at the expense of reducing the output voltage. There is no way to get volts X amps to equal more than the 150 watt rating of your panel.

As I mentioned, you could use an MPPT controller to decrease the the input voltage a bit so it better matches the battery voltage. That would give you a corresponding increase in amps to the battery, but it is usually not cost effective to do so in a system as small as yours.

--mapmaker

Leave a comment:

• jony101
    replied
    I had a low voltage 120 watt kycora panel, I tried both a pwm and mppt controllers on it, with either controller I never got more than 7 amps charging. Mppt needs high voltage panels or lots of panels connected together to work efficiently.

With a low voltage panel your limited to amps. An mppt controller wont have the excess voltage to give you extra amps. Even with a current booster you wont get more amps than the panel is able to produce and 150 watts will never produce 18 amps, even a 240 watt panel connected to mppt (which I have maxes out at 12 amps but I seen it go as high as 15 amps).

Leave a comment:

• ILFE
    replied
    Um, crazy question. Why not just add more panels in parallel if you wish to increase your ampere output from the array?

Of course, if you are going to try to put 18 amperes into a 60AH battery, that is going to be a tad too much. So, you are going to need more AH of storage as well.

Leave a comment:

• shawnmich
    started a topic How to increase solar panel output amps

How to increase solar panel output amps

I am using 150 watt solar panel with 60ah deep cycle battery with 1.5 kw inverter with surge power 3.0kw..i want to increase the charging rate so am thinking maybe i use current booster to increase the solar panel amps by connecting the current booster to the solar panel, then the output of the current booster to the solar charger controller which will now increase the output amps to 18am.
    The solar panel is 18v 8.0 amp...but the current booster is 12v-24v, 10-19 amps...
    Can anyone give suggestion about this......is this possible?
    can it works?
    urgent response please.
Working...