Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=Falsa_Nominis;n374003]The National Electrical Code is not a fedural law, it a set of guidelines. /QUOTE]

Correct. And why it is not federal law is covered and by the 10th amendment to the Constitution of the United States. So what ? Lots of things are not mandated or controlled by the fed. gov.

Theoretically and as a practical matter, if something ain't covered in the Constitution, it devolves to the states, or the people.

Besides, Who said anything about federal law ? I've been through this thread 2X looking and can't find such a ref. Maybe my Alzheimer's is acting up again.

There are however, such things that are called National Standards. The National Electrical Code is one of them. Another one is the A.S.M.E. Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. There are others. Such standards are administered (and internally enforced) by governing (not governmental) bodies made up of people knowledgeable in each particular area.

FWIW, most National Standards have also been adopted by federal procurement agencies in one form or another, or by reference.

Example: The Nuclear Regulatory commission is the national (federal) agency that licenses/oversees nuclear power plants. Having done it for a good part of an engineering career, I know that it is impossible to design, build, install and operate most any pressure vessel in nuclear service without conforming to the appropriate sections of the A.S.M.E. Boiler and Pressure Vessel code that pertain to Nuclear Service vessels. The NRC says so. The A.S.M.E. administers the code. Everyone uses it, but that does not make it a law, except by reference. Just makes it unsafe to not use it, and stupid besides.

Many, if not most states and municipal jurisdictions in the U.S. (and a substantial number of other countries BTW), have adopted such National standards in part or in whole as recognized and orderly ways to keep things safe, orderly and consistent from one jurisdiction to another. Those actions are not however, mandated in a blanket fashion as part of the Code of Federal Regulations.

That would be federal law.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Falsa_Nominis
      The National Electrical Code is not a fedural law, it a set of guidelines. The legal requirements are set by the State, County or city. Often the local government adopts the NEC in whole or part as law, sometimes none at all, sometimes with conditions.

If the OP was in my county he could not be in violation because there are no State or county electrical codes for self-built, self-occupied units. I can do whatever I want, as long as I do not rent or sell the place ... If you want to put yourself at risk that your business but you are not allowed to decide the risk for somebody else.

The point is, there is no way Mike can say the OP is in violation or would be in violation because, none of us knows where the OP is ... Mike and Sun King included.

Mike: My handle on Solar Talk is Falsa Nominis not Nullum Nominis. If cannot get the joke, perhaps somebody else will explain it to you.
      Just ban this fool and get it over with. He is a moron. C'mon mods enough political correctness. just nuke the SOB and get it over with. No one will care or miss him. You have a good reason, HE IS DANGEROUS. Mike you already know he lied with his location, you know where he lives.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...