Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erblasco
    • Mar 2018

Tiny House Solar, Wiring Inverter to AC Electric

I've built a tiny house and have 2 AC electric lines running in it. 1 for 2 led lights and 1 line for 3 receptacles.

I plant on running a 200w (2x 100watt panels) to a charge controller, to a two battery bank, to an inverter.

My issue is what is a safe way to wire the DC inverter to the AC system?

Is it necessary to have a breaker box for this minimal a system?

Can I go from a GFCI outlet on the inverter with an extension cord to a junction box with the 2 AC lines, instead?

• PNPmacnab
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2016

Before the dogs of safety are unleashed on you, why does everyone go lean on panels. 2x 100 watt panels is a joke and major mistake. Grid tie panels are cheaper than battery versions. Panels are the cheapest thing you will buy. You need at least 1KW to live successfully. OK, I warned you and you are doomed to make the same mistakes as any beginner.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

If you mean "tiny house" as something that could be dragged around like a travel trailer, then I would look into RV system wiring. They will show you that running a cord from the receptacel of an inverter and hard wired into an AC circuit breaker panel is not very safe.

Better to use an RV style inverter that is hard wired between it and the AC panel and has it's wire protected with overcurrent devicies.

As for using 100 watt panel....I think PNP has expressed most opinions that it is not cost effective to use them.

Comment

• Falsa_Nominis
        • Mar 2018

Most inverters have built in overload protection, does the same function as a breaker box.

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Falsa_Nominis
          Most inverters have built in overload protection, does the same function as a breaker box.
          That's . . . why people burn their houses down and electrocute themselves.

1) The inverter's overload protection protects the INVERTER not the wiring. You can easily start a fire by using thin gauge wire with a 3000 watt inverter. You need breakers or fuses that will open before the wiring is damaged.

2) Many inverters cannot be wired to permanent structures due to how they drive their neutral. You need an inverter that can have neutral commoned with ground at the appropriate location. (i.e. good sine wave inverter rated for direct wiring.)

3) To have any GFI breaker work (often necessary in structures people live in) you need the above-mentioned neutral-ground bond. This is done differently in permanent structures than in RV's or trailers; sometimes a relay is necessary to make it work correctly.

Comment

• Falsa_Nominis
            • Mar 2018

OP stated the inverter has a GFCI outlet that should cover protecting people, assuming all three lines are used. OP did not state what voltage the system is or the wire size, that is something that should be looked at.

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

It's similar to the main breaker in the "breaker box", but you still need breakers for the downstream wiring, i.e. branch circuits.

Comment

• Falsa_Nominis
                • Mar 2018

OP stated "2 AC electric lines running in it. 1 for 2 led lights and 1 line for 3 receptacles" clearly no down stream branching.

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

OP stated the inverter has a GFCI outlet that should cover protecting people, assuming all three lines are used.
                  The GFCI breaker has to come out, then go back in downstream of the commoning of neutral and ground.

Comment

• Falsa_Nominis
                    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by jflorey2
                    The GFCI breaker has to come out, then go back in downstream of the commoning of neutral and ground.
                    It is built in to the inverter, If you could relocate it, doing so would leave a branch unprotected. Are you trying to get the OP killed? However GFCI outlets would not be a bad idea.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

But a GFCI receptacle does not necessarily protect the wire in a cord if it is too small.

Look the OP can do whatever they want to do. They asked if it was ok to wire their tiny house panel using a plug and cord from an inverter receptacle and I stated it was not safe.

Comment

• Falsa_Nominis
                        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle
                        But a GFCI receptacle does not necessarily protect the wire in a cord if it is too small.
                        That is 100% correct. However I was addressing the OP not you. Also observe my statement on voltage and wire size, it is in agreement with your statement. Wire size is something that needs to be addressed in the initial design.
                        Last edited by Falsa_Nominis; 03-27-2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

That is 100% correct. However I was addressing the OP not you. Also observe my statement on voltage and wire size, it is in agreement with your statement. Wire size is something that needs to be addressed in the initial design.
                          Sorry for my confusion. I try to make sure others not experienced with electrical circuits do it as safely as possible.

Comment

• Falsa_Nominis
                            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle
                            Sorry for my confusion. I try to make sure others not experienced with electrical circuits do it as safely as possible.
                            No problem, I'm trying to draw out the OP for more information for the same reason. OP never stated the size of the inverter, the gauge of the cords or the power draw of the loads. At this time nobody can give a definite answer to his questions.

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

It is built in to the inverter, If you could relocate it, doing so would leave a branch unprotected.
                              GFCI's are ground fault interruptors. They are designed to be used after the neutral/ground bond, and work by measuring small common mode currents in the two power conductors. They work if you plug an extension cord into them. They WILL NOT WORK if you common the ground and neutral after them (which you often have to do for RV installations.) Relying on such absent protection could indeed get someone killed.

Perhaps learning more before giving bad advice on line would be wise. You'd probably regret it if your advice resulted in an injury or a fire.

Comment

Working...