Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worlds Biggest Battery

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Worlds Biggest Battery

    Elon Musk kept his promise:
    The SolarCity chairman successfully built the world

    https://www.fastcompany.com/40499949...ust-two-months

    EDIT: Added URL to webpage ...

    Nice photo here...
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/23/...ttery-100-days


    The Lyon Group recently began construction on a project northeast of Adelaide that will involve 3.4 million solar panels (with a capacity of 330 MW) alongside 1.1 million batteries, or [B]100 Megawatt/ 400Megawatt-Hour [/B]worth - the world
    Last edited by NEOH; 11-30-2017, 04:15 PM.

  • #2
    Wow, vBulletin needs to get this problem fixed.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

    Comment


    • #3
      [FONT=comic sans ms]Maybe the forum software feels that anything to do with Musk must be spam. [/FONT]

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
        Wow, vBulletin needs to get this problem fixed.
        What is the problem? Punctuation?

        Here's a test; the original article:
        ========
        Elon Musk kept his promise: The SolarCity chairman successfully built the worlds biggest lithium-ion battery in South Australia ahead of schedule.

        In July, Tesla and French renewable energy company Neoen were awarded the contract to help the country deal with its energy problems following a 2016 statewide blackout. The Tesla founder was so enthusiastic about the effort that he even tweeted this summer, "100 days from contract signature or its free."

        According to a local state government website, the 100-megawatt Tesla Powerpacks set has now been fully installed and will be energized in the next few days as it enters a phase of regulatory testing. Tesla said it will be able to power more than 30,000 homes, approximately equal to the amount of homes that lost power during the blackout period.

        The Verge reported that the battery is estimated to have cost $50 million.

        "The worlds largest lithium-ion battery will be an important part of our energy mix, and it sends the clearest message that South Australia will be a leader in renewable energy with battery storage," said South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill in a statement. He also acknowledged that "an enormous amount of work has gone in to delivering this project in such a short time."
        ========

        Yep, punctuation. It looks like the forum SW can't handle Unicode, so anything other than straight ASCII gets truncated. In the original, the quotes, hyphens and apostrophes were Unicode characters.

        BTW to get around this, you can use a converter tool. Google "UTF-8 to ASCII converter" for web tools that do this.
        Last edited by jflorey2; 11-30-2017, 03:33 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
          What is the problem? Punctuation?

          Here's a test; the original article:
          ========
          Elon Musk kept his promise: The SolarCity chairman successfully built the worlds biggest lithium-ion battery in South Australia ahead of schedule.

          In July, Tesla and French renewable energy company Neoen were awarded the contract to help the country deal with its energy problems following a 2016 statewide blackout. The Tesla founder was so enthusiastic about the effort that he even tweeted this summer, "100 days from contract signature or its free."

          According to a local state government website, the 100-megawatt Tesla Powerpacks set has now been fully installed and will be energized in the next few days as it enters a phase of regulatory testing. Tesla said it will be able to power more than 30,000 homes, approximately equal to the amount of homes that lost power during the blackout period.

          The Verge reported that the battery is estimated to have cost $50 million.

          "The worlds largest lithium-ion battery will be an important part of our energy mix, and it sends the clearest message that South Australia will be a leader in renewable energy with battery storage," said South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill in a statement. He also acknowledged that "an enormous amount of work has gone in to delivering this project in such a short time."
          ========

          Yep, punctuation. It looks like the forum SW can't handle Unicode, so anything other than straight ASCII gets truncated. In the original, the quotes, hyphens and apostrophes were Unicode characters.

          BTW to get around this, you can use a converter tool. Google "UTF-8 to ASCII converter" for web tools that do this.
          Thanks for the info on the battery system as well as some insight as to how to get our posts to stay.

          Comment


          • #6
            I added URL to message #1

            Comment


            • #7
              It looks like computer art, not a photo, to me. Besides an actual battery, what about all the
              AC-DC-AC equipment to connect it all, and a control system to make it useful? Bruce Roe

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                It looks like computer art, not a photo, to me. Besides an actual battery, what about all the
                AC-DC-AC equipment to connect it all, and a control system to make it useful? Bruce Roe
                From abc.net.au:
                ================================================== ============
                [SIZE=14px]South Australia's Tesla battery called on a day ahead of schedule as hot weather takes hold
                Nick Harmsen
                Posted yesterday at 11:28pm

                South Australia's giant Tesla battery has begun dispatching stored wind power into the electricity grid a day ahead of its scheduled switch-on.

                Premier Jay Weatherill will visit the battery site alongside the Hornsdale windfarm near Jamestown in the state's mid north on Friday, to mark its official opening on the first day of summer.

                But with temperatures across South Australia and Victoria hitting the mid 30s, and output from the state's wind farms low, the battery was called upon early to help meet Thursday afternoon's peak demand.
                ================================================== ==============[/SIZE]

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was talking to a sparky mate of mine who was wiring it up they finished last friday he was quite impressed with the way the project was run

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                    It looks like computer art, not a photo, to me. Besides an actual battery, what about all the
                    AC-DC-AC equipment to connect it all, and a control system to make it useful? Bruce Roe

                    Most recent [U]photo[/U] of the Worlds Largest Battery (installed) ...
                    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...nto-power-grid

                    100 Megawatt / 129 Megawatt-Hour
                    Supplies power during Peak Load times
                    Supplies "stabilizing" power when Wind Turbines are turning too slowly
                    Last edited by NEOH; 12-01-2017, 11:03 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The $50 mill subsidy represents a $166 annual fee to the 30,000 households it can supply for one hour at any one time. I wonder how many cycles they can get out the system and how fast it will degrade? Sounds like at least a ten year life but it will probably be technologically obsolete before reaching end of useful life.

                      Its a great if not costly start, but it puts the utility industry on notice......do not ignore this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
                        What is the problem? Punctuation?

                        Here's a test; the original article:
                        ========
                        Elon Musk kept his promise: The SolarCity chairman successfully built the worlds biggest lithium-ion battery in South Australia ahead of schedule.

                        In July, Tesla and French renewable energy company Neoen were awarded the contract to help the country deal with its energy problems following a 2016 statewide blackout. The Tesla founder was so enthusiastic about the effort that he even tweeted this summer, "100 days from contract signature or its free."

                        According to a local state government website, the 100-megawatt Tesla Powerpacks set has now been fully installed and will be energized in the next few days as it enters a phase of regulatory testing. Tesla said it will be able to power more than 30,000 homes, approximately equal to the amount of homes that lost power during the blackout period.

                        The Verge reported that the battery is estimated to have cost $50 million.

                        "The worlds largest lithium-ion battery will be an important part of our energy mix, and it sends the clearest message that South Australia will be a leader in renewable energy with battery storage," said South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill in a statement. He also acknowledged that "an enormous amount of work has gone in to delivering this project in such a short time."
                        ========

                        Yep, punctuation. It looks like the forum SW can't handle Unicode, so anything other than straight ASCII gets truncated. In the original, the quotes, hyphens and apostrophes were Unicode characters.

                        BTW to get around this, you can use a converter tool. Google "UTF-8 to ASCII converter" for web tools that do this.
                        So, A$ (?) 500/kWh ? I appreciate economies of scale, but what's a powerwall going for these days ?

                        As DanS26 writes, I guess it might be a shot across the bow in some sense. We'll see what happens once the Musk hype settles and day/day operations proceed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                          The $50 mill subsidy represents a $166 annual fee to the 30,000 households it can supply for one hour at any one time. I wonder how many cycles they can get out the system and how fast it will degrade? Sounds like at least a ten year life but it will probably be technologically obsolete before reaching end of useful life.

                          Its a great if not costly start, but it puts the utility industry on notice......do not ignore this.
                          What would it cost to Build, Operate & Maintain a Natural Gas 100 MW Peaker Plant ?
                          $67,000,000 = The Cost to build Natural Gas 100MW Peaker Plant
                          $5,000,000 = 10 Employees x $50,000/year x 10 Years
                          ===========
                          $72,000,000 + repairs + the cost of the Natural Gas = ???

                          You [U]cannot[/U] buy a Residential Powerwall for $1,666 = 10 years x $166/year
                          Last edited by NEOH; 12-01-2017, 12:33 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NEOH View Post

                            What would it cost to Build, Operate & Maintain a Natural Gas 100 MW Peaker Plant ?
                            $67,000,000 = The Cost to build Natural Gas 100MW Peaker Plant
                            $5,000,000 = 10 Employees x $50,000/year x 10 Years
                            ===========
                            $72,000,000 + repairs + the cost of the Natural Gas = ???

                            You [U]cannot[/U] buy a Residential Powerwall for $1,666 = 10 years x $166/year
                            I'm pretty much on that page, but where did the $67 million come from ? Or the NPV (?) of the employment cost ? While we're at it, even using moron payback methods, what would a per kWh LCOE for peak power need to be to break even on that $166/yr. ?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                              So, A$ (?) 500/kWh ? I appreciate economies of scale, but what's a powerwall going for these days ?
                              $5500 for 13.5kwhr, so $407/kwhr for just the battery.



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X