X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyberfast
    • May 2011

Diy

I started building my own panels and trust me it is not that fun but can be done. First off the cells are super easy to break. You need a super stead hand for the soldering plus a good soldering gun. You need allot of time. (not a few minute job) Last of after you get the cells together you need to make them water tight and protect them from outdoor elements. My recommendation is if you want to try this buy yourself a small kit first to test it out. don't do the mistake i did and order a huge bulk lot of cells. I'm gonna pay extra and order the built ones.
    Never under estimate the power of hard work. In time something magnificent happens. Dreams are only dreams if you don't push forward. Have a productive day. Tomek.

Comment

• SolarTekkie
      • Jan 2011

The biggest thing is that they can't be grid connected, and if/when they catch on fire your house is not insured if they aren't UL listed!

Comment

• cyberfast
        • May 2011

Originally posted by SolarTekkie
        The biggest thing is that they can't be grid connected, and if/when they catch on fire your house is not insured if they aren't UL listed!
        you right about that. i built mine on a trailer for that reason.
        Never under estimate the power of hard work. In time something magnificent happens. Dreams are only dreams if you don't push forward. Have a productive day. Tomek.

Comment

• rhjames
          • Nov 2010

The simple answer - No. Economically, I found that it's cheaper to buy good panels. This thread and others will give you good information. It's time consuming, and I found it difficult to get the all the air from under the cells when applying the sealant. Mine worked fine, but I could have purchased the same panel at a lower cost, and with a guarantee. I regard solar as a very expensive source of electricity, unless subsidised by tax payers (of which I'm one).

However, successfully making panels is a fun achievement, but it's best to regard it as an expensive hobby, rather than a cost saving exercise. Whether you build panels yourself, or buy them, it's still very expensive electricity in real terms. It's great if there's no alternative power source.

Comment

• jjohnson
            • Jun 2011

Catch fire? I've not heard of any DIY panels burning down the house?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Correctly done DIY won't - any more than commercial panels. The connections can be problematic in any electrical installation if not done correctly.

Unfortunately not all DIY is well done and by definition there is far less quality control than with commercial equipment.

Russ
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by jjohnson
                Catch fire? I've not heard of any DIY panels burning down the house?
                The problem really kicks into high gear, when you are stringing several panels into a 400v or so, array. Then the DIY insulation goes bad near a corner, or a bad solder joint gets flaky. The high voltage creates an arc, and it's all downhill from there.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• rhjames
                  • Nov 2010

400V array - that's quite a setup for DIY!!! There wouldn't be too many of those on a domestic roof. Surely this isn't DC before the inverter? Why would anyone want 400V DC

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

large grid tie inverters need 300-600VDC. Or to move power over longer distance, higher voltage is used
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• rhjames
                      • Nov 2010

300 - 600V DC is dangerous stuff. I wouldn't expect to see too many DIY at this scale.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by rhjames
                        300 - 600V DC is dangerous stuff. I wouldn't expect to see too many DIY at this scale.
                        ??? Why 'dangerous stuff'?

Russ
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• rhjames
                          • Nov 2010

DC voltage at this level is deadly - worse than AC. DC current contracts the muscles (eg hand) so they hang on. With AC there's more chance of letting go. However, both are pretty nasty, and anything over 50V either way should be avoided.

Being hit with 600V DC would be devastating.

Comment

• SolarTekkie
                            • Jan 2011

If you string a few together in series you end up with sometimes 20-50A running through questionable solder joints inside something that's already sometimes 200 degrees F inside due to the sunlight... it's a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

In particular if the soldered connection is DIY - factory done stuff is subject to quality control at least. Like joining aluminum wire to copper - done right it is OK while done wrong it is an invitation to disaster.

The main panel in my home is 380 volt 3 phase - I really don't tend to worry about voltage - I do take considerable care though. Anyone who has worked in industrial plants has probably been exposed to a safety culture where there are things you do and things you don't do.

I have fired people that didn't think safety rules applied to them. Even if one (or one hundred) gets away with the infraction the next guy may not.

Russ
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• rhjames
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by SolarTekkie
                                If you string a few together in series you end up with sometimes 20-50A running through questionable solder joints inside something that's already sometimes 200 degrees F inside due to the sunlight... it's a recipe for disaster.
                                I think you mean "parallel". Hopefully anyone dealing with these current levels would be experienced at correct wiring. Running undersized cables with doubtful connections in a hot roof space is high risk for fire.

Comment

Working...