X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by noeladdison
    If they are worrying about the expensive cost of installing Photovoltaic cells at you home or your business don't worry government is now offering incentives and subsidies to those people who wants to install solar power to their home.
    And coming to an end very soon thank God.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

panels factory built 40 years ago, have been measured to be 70% of original power. Wish I had the link to the article I read, but they do last when built right.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• rhjames
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
        panels factory built 40 years ago, have been measured to be 70% of original power. Wish I had the link to the article I read, but they do last when built right.
        I wonder how many would perform that well. Based on advertising of guarantees, I would expect at least 95% of those recently installed, to be operational after 25 years, but I question whether this has been properly evaluated. Have you seen any data on this?

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by rhjames
          I wonder how many would perform that well. Based on advertising of guarantees, I would expect at least 95% of those recently installed, to be operational after 25 years,
          I do not think so based on my experience with over 2000 panels installed. Failure rate is arounf 8% in the first 5 years

But there is a catch to the warranties. Look at all of them and they say something like 2/10/20.

2 years workmanship complete failure like a seal rupturing and moisture entering causing the panel to completely fail.

10 years @ 90% rated output

20 years @ 80% rated output.

So which warranty applies in the 3rd year if the panel fails?

None of them, it is your problem. The 2 year workmanship warranty expired.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• rhjames
            • Nov 2010

Sunking - thanks for the stats, and excellent warning on warranty. I think, as panels fail, and homeowners have to pay full price (no government subsidy) to replace them, it just won't happen. I'm tipping that within 15 years, there'll be a lot of dead solar systems on people roofs. Of course, there's the possibility that prices will come down to the level where they are cost effective, but I think there's a long way to go yet.

Comment

• badley
              • Jul 2011

.. far as prices coming down i wouldnt count on it in this economy. One thing is evident to me, and its only a personal view, but they dont want you to be self sufficient so i wouldnt count on 'free energy to the masses' ... ever. They will likely also regulate other things in the near future pertaining to self sufficiency like growing your own vegetable garden ect. Im more optimistic on panels though, and if a system is large enough to have alittle extra, even if a panel or two fails in your life-time you wont be out of business ..

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Of course, there's the possibility that prices will come down to the level where they are cost effective, but I think there's a long way to go yet.
                Not much room left for them to go down. The reason you are seeing prices so low now if the market is over saturated with sales slowing down. Many of the manufactures are near bankruptcy and selling panels at a discount or below cost. Like any product inflation will be applied as time goes on and prices will go up.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by badley
                  .. far as prices coming down i wouldnt count on it in this economy. One thing is evident to me, and its only a personal view, but they dont want you to be self sufficient so i wouldnt count on 'free energy to the masses' ... ever. They will likely also regulate other things in the near future pertaining to self sufficiency like growing your own vegetable garden ect. Im more optimistic on panels though, and if a system is large enough to have alittle extra, even if a panel or two fails in your life-time you wont be out of business ..
                  Totally off base - 'they' have little and no interest in what you are carrying on about.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• noeladdison
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
                    And coming to an end very soon thank God.
                    I don't think government subsidies and incentives will end that soon.

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Some governments are running out of cash, and when the surpluses are gone, so are the frills/incentives
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• john p
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2010

If I was in charge Heaven help us, BUT all solar rebates and incentives would be gone..
                        Governments should NOT be supporting private industries that cant keep them selves in business.

Comment

• rhjames
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by noeladdison
                          I don't think government subsidies and incentives will end that soon.
                          I just live in hope. Costs to support these subsidies are crippling.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

I just live in hope. Costs to support these subsidies are crippling.
                            More than crippling, there is no return to the government (peoples money). Here is a couple of interesting little facts

80% of all the USA money spent on renewable energy leaves the country, mainly China. What does stay here mostly goes to unskilled, temporary part time labor that pays no income tax.

All the power that is generated by solar does not generate and taxable income or excise tax.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by john p
                              If I was in charge Heaven help us, BUT all solar rebates and incentives would be gone..
                              Governments should NOT be supporting private industries that cant keep them selves in business.
                              Hi John, If you were in charge would Fosters be included in the daily 'must dos'?
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• john p
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Oct 2010

NO I not like . im a Queenslander and OUR REAL beer is XXXX (called fourex).. the nectar of the gods. Fosters is from the Mexicans(New South Wales..) the state just below Queensland..

Comment

Working...