X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rollandelliott
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2011

this sucks

I was gun hoe on making my own, but if I cant get the tax credits, that makes it uneconomical to make them myself. Better to just buy from sunelec.com

Comment

• SolarTekkie
      • Jan 2011

For sure, the canadian solar ones are well priced and UL listed...

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Do a search on the net - you have shown you are good at that. Many companies sell at reasonable prices.

The trick is to know what all is required including how to go about getting the OK from the utility for a grid connection.

Is there a feed in tariff in SC? Net metering? Start with your utility - maybe they will be helpful.

Russ
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• rollandelliott
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2011

What companies have been around enough to honor a 25 year warranty?

I read in another thread that some companies will probably go bankrupt and never honor a 25 year warranty. What companies are recommended that will probably be around in 25 years?
          Sharp, BP, Sanyo, and Kyocera were mentioned in another thread.

How about:
          Evergreen
          Sun
          Dupont Solar
          Canadian Solar
          NBsolar
          SunAli
          EPV Solar?

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by rollandelliott
            I read in another thread that some companies will probably go bankrupt and never honor a 25 year warranty. What companies are recommended that will probably be around in 25 years?
            Sharp, BP, Sanyo, and Kyocera were mentioned in another thread.

How about:
            Evergreen
            Sun
            Dupont Solar
            Canadian Solar
            NBsolar
            SunAli
            EPV Solar?
            Well do a little homework and look at the stock performance and financial on each and see what you think.

Evergreen has had negative earnings since Jan 2008. They just recently changed their ticker symbol from ESLR to ESLRD and had a reverse stock split to keep from being de-listed on NASDAQ. They shut down all manufacturing in th eUSA and Germany and in a last ditch effort is building a manufacturing plant in China with Massachusetts residence tax payers money subsidy. If you take the reverse split out they peaked in 2007 at around $300 per share down to less than 50 cents per share a few weeks ago before the state of Massachusetts bailed them out to allow them to reverse split and hold off the bond holders from taking over and sell it off. Tax payers are getting robbed, Evergreen will go under. There is no reason to bail any company out, even GM.

Dupont has been around forever and solar is a micro-fraction of their product line. They will survive.

So just do a little digging and you will get a better idea. Solar is a bubble and will bust. Governments cannot keep throwing money away.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• rollandelliott
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2011

hard to research

Some of these companies are hard to research
              Sun Electronics Inc. for example
              It seems like the only mention of them is through the internet.
              The only link/source of information is the distributor, www.sunelec.com
              I doubt the distributor makes the panels, but I could be wrong. The distributor has been in business for 37 years and their warranty is pretty similar to other companies and they are 8 hrs away which is a lot closer than china. But honestly their prices seem a little bit TOO good to be true. So I'm being cautiously optimistic.

Comment

• rhjames
                • Nov 2010

Sh
                I wonder how many panels have been tested for 25 years to demonstrate life expectancy. I think a lot of companies won't be around to honour their warranty (except the well established ones). What concerns me is all the installations done with government assistance. As panels fail, and have to be replaced at full expense to the owner, they will be too expensive (certainly not cost effective), and we'll end up with masses of government waste again, in unrepaired solar systems.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by rhjames
                  I wonder how many panels have been tested for 25 years to demonstrate life expectancy. I think a lot of companies won't be around to honour their warranty (except the well established ones). What concerns me is all the installations done with government assistance. As panels fail, and have to be replaced at full expense to the owner, they will be too expensive (certainly not cost effective), and we'll end up with masses of government waste again, in unrepaired solar systems.
                  Problem is the government should have never given a dime to anyone in the first place. The government or I should say us will never see a dime return on what has already been invested.

It is not like say students loans where the government actually makes money. The student borrows the money at low interest rate, and then pays it back in which the government makes a little on interest. But the big long term kicker is that student now makes a lot more money and thus pays much higher taxes. The money being thrown into alternate energy is a big black hole. Most of which is going to overseas manufactures boosting their economies. Just read economic history, no subside program has ever worked.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• rollandelliott
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2011

I see your point and agree with it to a certain degree, but anyone would be silly not to take advantage of the program and I doubt you get much sentiment from a forum full of solar fanatics like me, who thinks the system is so awesome.

I'm still trying to figgure out why CA and AZ have it better than the rest of us. On top of the 50% state and govt tax credits they also get a reduced utility rate or what?

Comment

• rhjames
                      • Nov 2010

Sunking - I fully agree. I don't regard solar as a realistic alternative or supplement to our existing grid. Of course, it has application in remote areas, and specialty circumstances.I totally disagree with my hard earned taxes being given away to subsidise solar, with zero return or benefit.

Now, I'm about to pour my first Sylgard on my first solar panel. Hope i can get the bubbles out. I've been waiting for a cool day - I thought 42 degC was a bit hot to do it.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

I'm still trying to figgure out why CA and AZ have it better than the rest of us. On top of the 50% state and govt tax credits they also get a reduced utility rate or what?
                        No, no, no, CA and AZ do not get lower rates. CA is the highest utility rates in the lower 48. CA has a noose around their neck. CA State environmental policies have prevented any new power plants to be built in I think 15 years. Since they started perusing RE incentives 10 years ago they went from importing roughly 19% of their electricity, to almost 30% today and falling further behind with each day. If AZ who supplies 25% of So Cal electricity were to say have a problem or say FU CA, Southern Ca goes dark, and there is no way around it.

I wouldn't say CA has it better off, it is just a matter of time when creditors default on their debt, and step in and take control of the state. CA is in so much dept they cannot possible pay it off. The interest payment on its debt, is just about as much as state taxes bring in. That is insolvable Bankruptcy. What is really scary is the USA is right behind CA.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• PerfectReign
                          • Sep 2010

I want to thank all who've posted on this thread.

With my first 2kW installed by a contractor, I wanted to begin the work of expanding. (I have micro-inverters so can conceptually expand as much or little as I want.)

I was thinking of going "cheap" and building my own. However, I see prices in in the $2.00/kW range already. Add the 40% federal rebate and the recently reduced California rebate and that prices goes well down into the $1.10/kW range.

I don't think there is any way to make a panel for those prices.

I've been looking at ebay for panels and also inverters. I see the panels already - UL listed but maybe blemished or off-brand - for $1.30-$1.50/kW. Those would still be eligible for the federal rebate. I don't know if I'd trust them on my roof, but conceptually it is a great idea.
                          kai ponte

[url]http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/EJpk11639[/url]

Comment

• americanssolar
                            • Mar 2011

Do it yourself can be very overwhelming for a whole system and not reliable.
                            Need to install solar or maybe you have already solar but something is wrong with it ? Contact American Sunlight Solar to get help.
                            [URL="http://www.americansunlightsolar.com"] American Sunlight Solar | Installation and Troubleshooting of solar panels [/URL]

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by americanssolar
                              Do it yourself can be very overwhelming for a whole system and not reliable.
                              Yes, but if one has a template to follow, and gathers enough info beforehand, it can be a rewarding experience. As for reliablilty, I'd rather trust my work, than that of a day laborer.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• rhjames
                                • Nov 2010

Now that I've built my own panel, and fully costed it, I know I can buy them cheaper. I'm happy with my result, and it's working as expected. The only problem I can see is that the resin didn't exclude all the air on a couple of cells. After pouring the resin I tried to squeeze out an air bubble and the cell cracked - hell if a job replacing it with the resin on it. I may find these cells with air under them fail early.

It's a lot of work, and not cost effective. However, my panel is of to a remote part of Cambodia where women are now giving birth in the dark. It least it can give some light when needed.

Comment

Working...