"Re-deployed" solar panels (Tesla) and Tesla tiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Re-deployed" solar panels (Tesla) and Tesla tiles

Hi, I am new here and new to solar. Started to research solar panels recently. I thought I was going to need a new roof soon, so I was considering the Tesla tiles. Any thoughts on those? My roof is not leaking, and after an opinion from someone, it could last a few more years.

Secondly, I did contact Tesla about their Panasonic panels and the price was high at $4.22/Watt, and that was after the tax credit for California. Thanks to this site I learned that I should be looking for around $3/watt.

I hesitated on the Tesla panels and on Friday he sent me an offer to purchase re-deployed panels. They are panels that were taken off existing customers for defaulting on lease payments. They come with a 10 yr warranty. He said it's cash customers only and my cost would be about $4062 for 8 panels. The new panels would produce 5,598 kWh per year so I am assuming the used ones would do the same. I think I've learned enough to know that large company installers is not the way to go. I am also getting someone to come give me an estimate on a new A/C system to decide if I should replace the old one instead.

So my three questions are: (1) what is your opinion on re-deployed panels; (2) on the Tesla tiles? and (3) I plan to buy the Solar Your Home for Dummies Second Ed. That was published in 2010. Is all or most of the info still relevant today, eight years later?

TIA

used panels carry no warranty. Poor/rough handling of panels can damage them, and it may not appear for a year or 3.

Coordinate your roof replacement with the solar install, let the roofer seal stuff up as the solar folks bolt the brackets in.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Used panels also do not qualify for the 30% federal tax rebate. Even if you get 30% off the panels you also lose the rebate on the inverters and install cost

Save your bucks and wait until you install a new roof and have the roofer install the brackets for panels.If you can swing both, have the roofer install WR Grace Ice and Water shield under the new roofing where the panels go in. It makes adding roof brackets after the roof goes on a lot easier to seal up.
      Last edited by peakbagger; 12-04-2018, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Tesla's solar roof is pretty cool, but it's also outrageously expensive. And as you have noticed, large chain installers are not the way to go.
        Forget Tesla, and find a small reputable local installer or 3 and get quotes from each of them.

As far as the used panels, if you can get them super cheap, they may be worth it. But they price you mentioned doesn't seem like that great a deal. Impossible to tell without the full info though, since you didn't say what size the panels are.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitt View Post
          I plan to buy the Solar Your Home for Dummies Second Ed. That was published in 2010. Is all or most of the info still relevant today, eight years later?TIA
          Most of the basics are still valid. There may be some information about panel sizes and efficiencies that need updating, and info about inverters/optimizers has evolved a bit as well as a few tidbits about NEM and tax credits, but overall it's still a pretty good primer.

BTW, it's back online as a free download if you root around a bit.

Comment

I put my 3 "...for Dummies" books on Evil Bay for a giveaway price, no buyers. Am
            contemplating tossing them. Bruce Roe

Comment

Hi, I am new here and new to solar. Started to research solar panels recently. I thought I was going to need a new roof soon, so I was considering the Tesla tiles. Any thoughts on those?
              I'd wait. They are expensive and unproven.
              I hesitated on the Tesla panels and on Friday he sent me an offer to purchase re-deployed panels. They are panels that were taken off existing customers for defaulting on lease payments. They come with a 10 yr warranty. He said it's cash customers only and my cost would be about $4062 for 8 panels.
              WAY too expensive for used panels.

Comment

Thank you. Lots of good information here. I think I'll hold off and look into replacing the roof and try to time them together. Great advice.

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Most of the basics are still valid. There may be some information about panel sizes and efficiencies that need updating, and info about inverters/optimizers has evolved a bit as well as a few tidbits about NEM and tax credits, but overall it's still a pretty good primer.

BTW, it's back online as a free download if you root around a bit.
                Thanks! I'll look around.

bcroe, if I can't find the online download I might take one off your hands. Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Vitt

bcroe, if I can't find the online download I might take one off your hands. Where are you located?
                  In Northern IL, email me at bcroe@juno.com

Comment

I found a copy online. Didn't take much looking around...

Comment

I found a copy online. Didn't take much looking around...
                      Guess that is why no one wants mine. Into the recycling. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post
                        Tesla's solar roof is pretty cool, but it's also outrageously expensive.
                        Only cool if you are a stock holder, or the retailer. Otherwise only people who like anything Tesla are fools who like being parted from their money.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                          Only cool if you are a stock holder, or the retailer. Otherwise only people who like anything Tesla are fools who like being parted from their money.
                          There's over a hundred thousand people driving Model 3s that would disagree with you.
                          I totally agree that they are way more hype than substance, but the cars are quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post

There's over a hundred thousand people driving Model 3s that would disagree with you.
                            I totally agree that they are way more hype than substance, but the cars are quite nice.
                            Opinions vary, but fools and their money are soon parted.

Add: To perhaps put some perspective on the numbers, there's probably > 10 EE5 readers of my mental spoor on this forum that have disagreed with my opinions, and probably fewer who agree with them, but that says nothing about my or their opinions' validity or relevance to reality or even common sense.

Opinions are like noses - or other body parts - everyone has their own and most of them smell at least most of the time.
                            Last edited by J.P.M.; 12-07-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Opinions vary, but fools and their money are soon parted.
                              You failed to mention "LOTS of money" for them fancy cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X