X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

You failed to mention "LOTS of money" for them fancy cars.
    Well, I tend to agree with you, but the word "lots" is a relative term, as is the adjective "fancy".

Comment

• DiddlyD
      • Dec 2018

I did a lot of research before I decided on what I felt was the best solar panel which is the Panasonic HIT PV N320K -3 (awesome looking too) with 25 year warranty and as high a rating as Sun Run panels @ cost of 3.00 per Watt installed. I contacted Panasonic for an certified installer. I have a Solar Edge inverter with optimizer which is a must in my opinion so one panel doesn't cause the whole system to under perform and allows you to monitory your system online in real time too. I received my first bill from my grid supplier and it was 25.00 with taxes included; last year this time is was 192.00. Our rate plans in my state make summer vs winter scenarios due to demand rates verses how much daylight and cloud cover etc. so there are variances to consider and manage. I wasn't a fan of solar until I did the research and learned more about it so I could make an informed decision and not be raked over the cools by solar companies. My recommendation is to do a purchase not a lease. Good luck to your new adventure.

Comment

• Vitt
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by DiddlyD
        I did a lot of research before I decided on what I felt was the best solar panel which is the Panasonic HIT PV N320K -3 (awesome looking too) with 25 year warranty and as high a rating as Sun Run panels @ cost of 3.00 per Watt installed. I contacted Panasonic for an certified installer. I have a Solar Edge inverter with optimizer which is a must in my opinion so one panel doesn't cause the whole system to under perform and allows you to monitory your system online in real time too. I received my first bill from my grid supplier and it was 25.00 with taxes included; last year this time is was 192.00. Our rate plans in my state make summer vs winter scenarios due to demand rates verses how much daylight and cloud cover etc. so there are variances to consider and manage. I wasn't a fan of solar until I did the research and learned more about it so I could make an informed decision and not be raked over the cools by solar companies. My recommendation is to do a purchase not a lease. Good luck to your new adventure.
        Thanks. Yes, based on what I've read so far I plan to purchase, not lease.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

..... I have a Solar Edge inverter with optimizer which is a must in my opinion so one panel doesn't cause the whole system to under perform and allows you to monitory your system online in real time too.......
          With a properly designed string inverter system, loosing one panel, only causes the loss of that panel's production, exactly the same thing that happens with optimizers.

At some point, you can have enough failed panels that the inverter shuts down, with either system

With either system, by monitoring the daily performance, you can easily detect a module failure - by keeping a record of the DC input voltage to the inverter.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Vitt
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
            With a properly designed string inverter system....
            Even though I will ask, I assume a competent installer knows how to, correct?

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Vitt

competent installers make mistakes. Once in a while, a car leaves a service garage and a wheel without any lug nuts, falls off. They made a mistake. so I always make "qualified" statements.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Well, I tend to agree with you, but the word "lots" is a relative term, as is the adjective "fancy".
                Very true. Call me a fool and a Tesla Fanboy if you like. I spent more on my Tesla than I spent on my first home. I have obtained tremendous value and driven 66,000 miles in the past 30 months and I have never felt safer. At the end of a 400 mile journey I am more relaxed than in any other car I have driven. Some of that is because of the adaptive cruise control and auto pilot. I am 74 and have to pee every 100 miles so stopping to charge is not inconvenient, and it gives me a chance to stretch and rest my eyes. I also have a low cost of funds so as J.P.M. says, lots is a relative term. Utilitarian is the term I would use instead of "Fancy". Your mileage may vary.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• DiddlyD
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Vitt

Mine is on a string with optimizers. The optimizers enhance the individual panels which allows you to monitor each panels generation separately. If you only have an inverter alone on a string, if one panel falls the whole system shuts down and you have no production where as not true if you have the optimizers which allows each panel to be independent. Those that didn't understand that and or elected not pay for that upgrade maybe be minimizing their importance. So do your homework and verify before you make your own informed decision. Also don't go with these big Solar outfits that may come and go all over the US like Sun City did and Tusla has all but shut down. I seriously recommend figuring out the quality solar panel you want to install and contact the manufacture for a reputable installer in your region.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster

Very true. Call me a fool and a Tesla Fanboy if you like. I spent more on my Tesla than I spent on my first home. I have obtained tremendous value and driven 66,000 miles in the past 30 months and I have never felt safer. At the end of a 400 mile journey I am more relaxed than in any other car I have driven. Some of that is because of the adaptive cruise control and auto pilot. I am 74 and have to pee every 100 miles so stopping to charge is not inconvenient, and it gives me a chance to stretch and rest my eyes. I also have a low cost of funds so as J.P.M. says, lots is a relative term. Utilitarian is the term I would use instead of "Fancy". Your mileage may vary.
                    I am happy a Tesla has been working out for you.

Unfortunately they are above my financial threshold for a car but I am hoping other manufacturers will create new EV's that will meet my sticker price limit.

Comment

• solar pete
                      Administrator
                      • May 2014

Mine is on a string with optimizers. The optimizers enhance the individual panels which allows you to monitor each panels generation separately. If you only have an inverter alone on a string, if one panel falls the whole system shuts down and you have no production where as not true if you have the optimizers which allows each panel to be independent. Those that didn't understand that and .
                      Hi DiddlyD, this bit you wrote .....well ....its just plain wrong in reality. Read what Mike wrote above, while its true its possible to take down a string entirely, it wont be a bit of shade on one panel that takes down a string. Look its fine to go optimisers if you want to and there is a valid argument if shade is an issue but having been in the solar biz for many a year now I will always and everytime and twice on Sundays go with a nice ol String inverter, sittin in the shade, with no optimisers to go wrong and need replacing. End of rant
                      Last edited by solar pete; 12-12-2018, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Mine is on a string with optimizers. The optimizers enhance the individual panels which allows you to monitor each panels generation separately. If you only have an inverter alone on a string, if one panel falls the whole system shuts down and you have no production where as not true if you have the optimizers which allows each panel to be independent.
                        Optimizers can help out with difficult shade situations. But I have over 2.5 million operational panel
                        hours here with ZERO failures, how good a record do optimizers have? Panels are more likely to
                        lose a section than totally fail, which will only slightly affect the output of a string, meanwhile other
                        strings are unaffected. If even a section of a panel failed, let alone a whole string, I certainly would
                        very soon discover it. I have 2 inverters which almost perfectly match in good sun, if they do not my
                        clamp on ammeter and voltmeter soon locate the problem. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe

Optimizers can help out with difficult shade situations. But I have over 2.5 million operational panel
                          hours here with ZERO failures, how good a record do optimizers have? Panels are more likely to
                          lose a section than totally fail, which will only slightly affect the output of a string, meanwhile other
                          strings are unaffected. If even a section of a panel failed, let alone a whole string, I certainly would
                          very soon discover it. I have 2 inverters which almost perfectly match in good sun, if they do not my
                          clamp on ammeter and voltmeter soon locate the problem. Bruce Roe
                          All that plus, to my experience anyway:
                          1.) Most folks seem to lose interest in their array's output and operation shortly after installation.
                          2.) Even if they look at their output, most of those folks are clueless about what it means.
                          3.) In the meantime, for non shade impacted arrays, to the degree their data reporting capabilities are ignored/wasted, all the extra electronics which are mostly on a roof, be they optimizers or micros are doing little more than creating more opportunities for failure. Maybe I'm off the mark here, but maybe as an anecdotally indication, that increased problem occurrence may be evidenced around here by what seems to be an inordinate number of posts and threads particularly related to optimizer problems.

The way I was taught and learned/confirmed by experience, KISS is a good way to reduce problems. More stuff than essential for safe and cost effective operation that has a temp. sensitive nature and operating in a hot/cold, somewhat severe environment such as a roof doesn't seem to be following that principle.

Comment

• DiddlyD
                            • Dec 2018

For that person that thinks you can't be on a string inverter and also have optimizers etc. please read this: Like micro-inverters, power optimizers are located at each panel, usually integrated into the panels themselves. However, instead of converting the DC electricity to AC electricity at the panel site, they condition the DC electricity and send it to a string inverter. Their also suppose to help solar panels when the temps get hotter boost performance and that's important in AZ.

Also, I am on what is called a demand rate plan so between 3-8pm I want to be on solar and not on the grid so the date I get from Solar Edge via the optimizers gives me real time info hourly, day, week and month plus history on self consumption, export and import from the grid which I am paid more than I am charged for KWH's. This information will help me tailor my usage, program my thermostat and pool pump to maximize the benefits of being on solar. I find it an invaluable tool.

Some equipment might not work with them depending on manufacturer and age of panels.
                            Last edited by DiddlyD; 01-03-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Like micro-inverters, power optimizers are located at each panel, usually integrated into the panels themselves. However, instead of converting the DC electricity to AC electricity at the panel site, they
                              Your web browser or editor is inserting some unusual characters into your posts, and the forum software is rejecting the rest of the message. You can try using a very plain text editor (like Notepad or something) to compose the message, then copy the text into the browser window (if you are posting from a PC.)

Comment

• DiddlyD
                                • Dec 2018

Good advice thank you! I also discovered if I took out the quote marks I was able to paste and be saved.
                                Last edited by DiddlyD; 01-03-2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...