Solar Makes Sense With Highest Electric Rates in the Country (SDG&E)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slinthicum
    • Apr 2022

Solar Makes Sense With Highest Electric Rates in the Country (SDG&E)

5 years ago, when I decided to install a solar rooftop system, that decision was easily made, given the fact that San Diego Gas & Electric Company had the highest rates in the Country. Nothing has changed. The cost of electricity for peak consumption during the summer months for TOU-EV2 was $0.68/kWh. This year that cost is increasing to $0.83/kWh. That represents a 20% increase in the cost. Not as bad as natural gas, with what is tantamount to a 100% increase since last January ($2.36/therm [1/2022] to $5.11/therm [1/2023]}.
  • davidcheok
    • Dec 2022

I live in a country with probably the lowest electricity rates in the world and yet i decided to install my solar. Our first 600 kWh is 0.01 cts, 601-2000 is 0.08 cts, 2001-4000 is 0.10 cents and 4001 upwards is 0.12 cts. Its all heavily subsidised. It takes 12 yrs to recover my system at these rates. However, all the energy we use isnt subsidised by nature. All the CO2 produced by each kWh generated contributes to our childrens' suffering going forward. My view is we shouldnt be looking at all this simply from a selfish monetary point of view but from our ability to make a difference in our own way moving away from burning fossils. Its easy to make that decision when energy hurts our pockets and we view it just to save money but its a lot harder to invest in a better future for our kids.

Comment

• slinthicum
      • Apr 2022

While I'm not sold on the argument, perhaps your utility provider is partially responsible for the failure of providing an incentive for customers to move over to solar, by providing energy costs that are simply too low, failing to justify a reason for its customers to move over to installing solar systems and exercise behaviors that focus on conservation.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by davidcheok
        I live in a country with probably the lowest electricity rates in the world and yet i decided to install my solar. Our first 600 kWh is 0.01 cts, 601-2000 is 0.08 cts, 2001-4000 is 0.10 cents and 4001 upwards is 0.12 cts. Its all heavily subsidised. It takes 12 yrs to recover my system at these rates. However, all the energy we use isnt subsidised by nature. All the CO2 produced by each kWh generated contributes to our childrens' suffering going forward. My view is we shouldnt be looking at all this simply from a selfish monetary point of view but from our ability to make a difference in our own way moving away from burning fossils. Its easy to make that decision when energy hurts our pockets and we view it just to save money but its a lot harder to invest in a better future for our kids.
        Unfortunately until all countries decide to stop using fossil fuel (which IMO will never happen) a few home solar installs will not help my grandchildren. But how I spend my money will help them.so until I can financially justify installing panels I will just sit by.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by slinthicum
          While I'm not sold on the argument, perhaps your utility provider is partially responsible for the failure of providing an incentive for customers to move over to solar, by providing energy costs that are simply too low, failing to justify a reason for its customers to move over to installing solar systems and exercise behaviors that focus on conservation.
          Given that Brunei (where Davidcheck lives) derives most of its revenue from oil and natural gas, I'd guess the country is not big on subsidizing alternate energy.

Comment

• solardreamer
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2015

5 years ago, when I decided to install a solar rooftop system, that decision was easily made, given the fact that San Diego Gas & Electric Company had the highest rates in the Country. Nothing has changed. The cost of electricity for peak consumption during the summer months for TOU-EV2 was $0.68/kWh. This year that cost is increasing to $0.83/kWh. That represents a 20% increase in the cost. Not as bad as natural gas, with what is tantamount to a 100% increase since last January ($2.36/therm [1/2022] to $5.11/therm [1/2023]}.
            One thing that has changed is NEM3.

Comment

• davidcheok
              • Dec 2022

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Given that Brunei (where Davidcheck lives) derives most of its revenue from oil and natural gas, I'd guess the country is not big on subsidizing alternate energy.
              Unfortunately we have even less incentives than the rest of the world to make the shift.

Comment

• davidcheok
                • Dec 2022

Originally posted by SunEagle

Unfortunately until all countries decide to stop using fossil fuel (which IMO will never happen) a few home solar installs will not help my grandchildren. But how I spend my money will help them.so until I can financially justify installing panels I will just sit by.
                Its ok. Its usually the people that use the least amount of energy that suffers first.. out of sight, out of mind.

Comment

• davidcheok
                  • Dec 2022

Provider is the State. Honestly, its not the subsidies that I have a problem with but the lack of interest in pursuing a vision of a country that is low carbon or carbon free. Everyone just sits and waits for **** to hit the fan because scrambling to find an umbrella. While we have the resources to do so, we should invest in the technology and infrastructure to reduce both our cost and footprint. Anyway, maybe when the costs of silicon drops further.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Its ok. Its usually the people that use the least amount of energy that suffers first.. out of sight, out of mind.
                    I have no idea what you are talking about but if you want to go green and don't care what it cost you then have at it.

Comment

• davidcheok
                      • Dec 2022

I have no idea what you are talking about but if you want to go green and don't care what it cost you then have at it.
                      I mean that people in developed nations consume the most amount of power and contribute the most to global emissions but people in poor and developing countries are the ones who are worst affected. Case in point, Pakistan.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

I mean that people in developed nations consume the most amount of power and contribute the most to global emissions but people in poor and developing countries are the ones who are worst affected. Case in point, Pakistan.
                        Yet both China and India burn more coal than any other nation. So while countries like Pakistan may suffer those are not the ones I am concerned of.

Comment

• davidcheok
                          • Dec 2022

Yet both China and India burn more coal than any other nation. So while countries like Pakistan may suffer those are not the ones I am concerned of.
                          Shifting the blame doesnt do any good for anyone. No country is free from blame including mine. If we dont change our mindsets, we are simply digging humanity's own grave.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Shifting the blame doesnt do any good for anyone. No country is free from blame including mine. If we dont change our mindsets, we are simply digging humanity's own grave.
                            I appreciate the sentiment and probably agree with some of it but it's an exercise in futility as it amounts to little more than naive and ignorant daydreaming.
                            Reason: Changing the collective planet mindset will involve changing human nature.
                            Good luck on that one.

Seems to me that according to those with little historical perspective and/or those who make money with a desire to derive power off human ignorance and fear have always portrayed the world as having one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Comment

• vnatale
                              • Jun 2016

$.83hWh??!!!! I thought the recent 20% increase in Western Massachusetts to $0.362 must have been among the highest in the country. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Comment

Working...