Imagine if you had just bought a solar system in Iowa..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwdiver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by TexasGEEK
    In my location in Texas the utility pays 1/2 of what they sell power at for solar installations. So no 1:1 here. When I priced solar their contractor only would quote a 9.4 Kwh system for home, so it appears that magic "10" number in play here also. Looks to be all to their advantage without battery storage for off peak sun hours.

I then asked about wind/solar hybrid system to take advantage of an option for dark hours, but they did not want to talk about auxiliary wind options. Many of the solar companies also seem to double as roof companies, surprise!

Quite disillusioned getting an installer to meet all needs, looking at DIY and other plans. Definitely going ground mount for ease of access/cleaning as well as Fire, EMI safety.
    What part of Texas are you located in? Did you mean 9.4kW or is it a small system that generates ~9.4kWh/day?

Wind is generally not worth the cost. If you want energy when it's not sunny batteries and more solar will be cheaper than small scale wind in TX. You really need a wind turbine >100kW for wind to make any sense. Wind doesn't scale down like solar does.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Seems like most off griders have a big perpetual firewood project, and many give up
      on air conditioning. I am net metering because the PoCo provides me a 15,000KWH
      storage, free, 100% efficient, zero cost virtual battery storage to carry my summer KWH
      over to winter heating. Same plant provides AC and of course power at night.
      NO FIREWOOD. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...