New Se 7600H inverter Drops out 1 to 5 times a day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cdtruckn
    He said that the connection on my power lines at the house was not pg&e connection (someone else installed the 200amp service) so he ran a new lines from the pole to the house at that time we pulled the meter and check all the connections. All the connections are good. I asked about pg&e line voltage, he pulled out a book that showed max voltage on there lines 252v max.

I checked the meter and the voltage is 247v before the solar system wakes up. around 930am the solar system is producing around 5,500 watts I look at the meter and it has a voltage of 253v already, so I go to my other neighbor's house
    and check their voltage an it's the same I go two more houses down and is the same I come home and shut down my inverter and everyones including mine dropped to 247v .
    I turned on the inverter and the voltage stayed at 247 v now at 11am the voltage is climbing is at 250v I believe that is why it drops out several times a day.
    Did you get better balance between halves? I thought the legal limit was 120V/240V, not 247V?
    One fix to excess voltage tripout is to reprogram the inverter V monitors higher. Bruce Roe

Comment

Pg&e says 252v is max on there side. Normal here is 247v +- 2
      my inverter brought it up from 247 to as high as 257v when I shut it down it goes back to 247v

Turn the inverter back on and it stay at 247v for a while 40 to 60 minutes then start to climb.

Solaredge must have called my installer because thy called me about what pg&e did. Thy are going to install a 40amp disconnect. I don't see what that will fix

Comment

Originally posted by cdtruckn View Post

Solaredge must have called my installer because thy called me about what pg&e did. Thy are going to install a 40amp disconnect. I don't see what that will fix
        bring it up to code. You also mentioned it was on a 20amp breaker which is not right either. It should be on a 40a breaker and disconnect and the wires should be rated for 40a as well.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

bring it up to code. You also mentioned it was on a 20amp breaker which is not right either. It should be on a 40a breaker and disconnect and the wires should be rated for 40a as well.
          That was the capacitor. Sorry for the confusion 1st time on a forum. Still learning
          Last edited by cdtruckn; 05-29-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Any one here have admin access to a solaredge inverter know if my installer can confirm voltage before and after a dropout?

Comment

Any one here have admin access to a solaredge inverter know if my installer can confirm voltage before and after a dropout?
              you can graph the AC line voltage as well as almost all other aspects.
              Your installer should give you owner access and you can do that yourself on the web portal.

Comment

you can graph the AC line voltage as well as almost all other aspects.
                Your installer should give you owner access and you can do that yourself on the web portal.
                Thy have, It shows panel layout and production every 4 or 5 hrs.
                worthless. I have sense with solar ct's it shows inverter output and usage watts not voltage though.

Comment

I'm seriously considering purchasing a new se7600hd and have a license electrician install it and register as a installer
                  or a different model inverter with optimizers. Just to bypass this solar company.

Comment

Thy have, It shows panel layout and production every 4 or 5 hrs.
                    worthless. I have sense with solar ct's it shows inverter output and usage watts not voltage though.
                    I said "owner" level which lets you graph everything including Grid AC voltage

and it shows data every 15 minutes but with cellular connection only updates it every 5 hours...

Comment

I said "owner" level which lets you graph everything including Grid AC voltage

and it shows data every 15 minutes but with cellular connection only updates it every 5 hours...
                      I believe I only have cellular , my installer will not give me any higher access.

Comment

I believe I only have cellular , my installer will not give me any higher access.
                        these are two different things.
                        Your access level should be owner. You should insist on that from the installer to give it or you can create your own installer account and take it over but if you are trying to get things from the installer you might not want to do that at this time.

The inverter can be either wired in or cellular connection, both will have 15 minute resolution but cellular would update every 5 hours.

Comment

I know it is not wired Just cellular, I have a plan to switch installers with a family friend when and if thy fix it. I am digging into solaredge PDF files on the setup and you can configure all the grid settings,output amps, volts, all kinds of parameters, just to educate my self on this inverter. I checked the output amp setting and it is set at 54.5 and it is suppose to be 32 continuous.
                          I watched him commission the inverter when he replaced it with the first one with the card.

Comment

Correct. On the older models you could select from different USA power profiles, e.g. USA1, USA2, USA3, etc. to address PoCo over voltage, to some degree. Perhaps the newer HD models are even more configurable (I don't know). Attached are screen shots of AC line voltage by day/time from the SE Monitoring portal for my 11.4kW A-series. You can see voltage varies widely (depending on inverter output and residential usage, e.g sags in the afternoon due to lots of HVAC, etc.).

But I agree your voltage is too high if it is rising above 250-252V. That's >125V for single phase 120 equipment. If this is effecting everyone in your neighborhood, the PoCo should be able to "tap down" your local distribution transformer (likely a 4K to 240V step down).

In order to minimize local voltage increase during high production, you'll want to ensure minimal resistance between your inverter and pole. You've already replaced your service line so that's great. If you're using a load side breaker (40amps in your load center) next thing to check is inverter AC wiring gauge, etc. If you have a small thermal imaging camera or IR gun you can check for thermal heating under heavy output.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
                              Correct. On the older models you could select from different USA power profiles, e.g. USA1, USA2, USA3, etc. to address PoCo over voltage, to some degree. Perhaps the newer HD models are even more configurable (I don't know). Attached are screen shots of AC line voltage by day/time from the SE Monitoring portal for my 11.4kW A-series. You can see voltage varies widely (depending on inverter output and residential usage, e.g sags in the afternoon due to lots of HVAC, etc.).

But I agree your voltage is too high if it is rising above 250-252V. That's >125V for single phase 120 equipment. If this is effecting everyone in your neighborhood, the PoCo should be able to "tap down" your local distribution transformer (likely a 4K to 240V step down).

In order to minimize local voltage increase during high production, you'll want to ensure minimal resistance between your inverter and pole. You've already replaced your service line so that's great. If you're using a load side breaker (40amps in your load center) next thing to check is inverter AC wiring gauge, etc. If you have a small thermal imaging camera or IR gun you can check for thermal heating under heavy output.
                              It is a load side 40amp breaker on the last spot away from the meter on the panel.

I believe the 40amp fused disconnect that thy say there going to install is so thy can run a larger wire, it looks like a #8 now the run is only 5ft.

With the run so close I don't see how the disconnect would help. I just don't trust these guys work.

Comment

A friend has a 10kW SMA inverter with similar issues. Drops out ~2-5 times per day but it's almost always in the mornings and rarely on the weekends. Due to how the drops cluster in terms of timing I'm ~95% confident it's a grid issue. Is there any pattern to when yours trips?

Originally posted by JSchnee21 View Post
                                I agree that's a little high but anything <264 is still 'in spec' and shouldn't cause problems.
                                Last edited by nwdiver; 06-07-2019, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X