Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdtruckn
    • May 2019

New Se 7600H inverter Drops out 1 to 5 times a day

Hello Everyone, I just had a 8.7kw solar system installed by a solar company. The spec are 29 300w panels, 29 p320 optimizers, and a se7600h HD wave inverter. The inverter is 4ft from my 200 amp meter breaker panel, the 40amp 240 inverter breaker is the last breaker in the panel. I have a monitoring instrument called sense that connects to my mains and solar with ct's so I can monitor usage and solar output in real time. The very first day I seen the inverter drop out for 1.5 minutes, the next day it drop out 5 times all 1.5 minutes. I'm in central California with cloudy rainy cool weather mix. It seems to be when the production comes close to max. one day I caught it when it drop out and seen the code
    18XB5. I called the installer with this. No reply so I called solaredge and made a ticket, called solaredge the next day
    and was told that code ment I had a harmonics problem and to call pg&e. So I research line harmonics. Them bought a multimeter with a oscillator and check my breaker panel.
    sine wave looked good smooth with no distortion, I noticed the neutral wire for the inverter was connected to the earth ground buss bar so I checked voltage L1 had 118v, L2 had 126v. so then I checked voltage with the neutral buss bar L1 was123v L2 123v 246v total, so moved the neutral to the neutral bus. I know earth ground and neutral can be tied together but in my panel that are not bonded other than attach to the panel that is painted, Still the inverter drops out. Then I found some have had luck with capacitor, surge protector. Well that didn't help. Any idea what could be the problem.
    also the inverter didn't store any codes

• J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

What did the installer and SolarEdge say when you told them all you've done and researched ?

Comment

• cdtruckn
      • May 2019

The installer said not to touch it.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Your line voltage seems reasonable. But I have had similar symptoms from high line voltage
        at times of peak PV production. One of your line to neutrals is a bit high a 126V, my inverter
        also monitored that. If your inverter connects to neutral it might have that monitor. With no
        current in the inverter lead, a transformer/variac could be wired to shift a balanced signal to
        the inverter. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cdtruckn
          The installer said not to touch it.
          Anything further to that, or are you S.O.L. ?

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

I noticed the neutral wire for the inverter was connected to the earth ground buss bar so I checked voltage L1 had 118v, L2 had 126v. so then I checked voltage with the neutral buss bar L1 was123v L2 123v 246v total, so moved the neutral to the neutral bus. I know earth ground and neutral can be tied together but in my panel that are not bonded other than attach to the panel that is painted, Still the inverter drops out. Then I found some have had luck with capacitor, surge protector. Well that didn't help.
            unless you are an electrician, stop messing with stuff. If that capacitor and surge protector are not rated for 600V, you are setting yourself up for a fire.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• cdtruckn
              • May 2019

Its rated for 100,000 amps, lsp 100k

Comment

• cdtruckn
                • May 2019

It is also on a 20amp 240v circuit breaker

Comment

• cdtruckn
                  • May 2019

Well it through a code today 03X6E meter comm. Error, it doesn't have a meter.

Comment

• JSchnee21
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2017

Are you saying the production amps from your inverter drops to near zero for ~1.5min and then resumes? Cloud passing in front of the sun?

IMHO, the HD's series of inverters seems to still have a lot of software bugs. I'd contact SE directly and have them check and verify that your unit has the latest firmware.

Also not an electrician, but if you only have a single load center, neutral bus and ground bus should be linked in the panel and tied into your grounding rod.

Keeping the solar out of the equation for now, I'm more concerned about your 8V differential between L1 and L2. Do you have 200amp service from your PoCo. What is the differential with your main breaker off? How does it change under load?

Unless the loads on your legs are VERY unbalanced, you shouldn't see an 8V differential between L1 and L2 from your PoCo. Generator maybe, under heavy unbalanced load. But there should be no sag (maybe 1 or 2 volts) coming from your PoCo. That might suggest a crack in your service cable. Or a heavy overloaded step down transformer on the pole.

Use the SE monitoring portal to inspect your DC volts/current, and AC volts/current during these "drop outs." It could be the Inverter is set "too fusy" and limiting production if the PoCo values are out of spec.

Comment

• cdtruckn
                      • May 2019

Yes production drops to 0 full sun only for a minute then full production with no warmup. The line voltage difference was measured on the earth ground side green. When measuring from the neutral thy are the same.that is why I moved the inverter neutral to the neutral buss from the earth ground. Even though both are attached to the breaker panel there must be some resistance. I'm at full production now with 254 meter volts. Thy may have pushed a update because it has not dropped out so far fingers crossed.
                      Last edited by cdtruckn; 05-28-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• cdtruckn
                        • May 2019

Screenshot_20190528-123029_Sense.jpg

Comment

• cdtruckn
                          • May 2019

Each line that hits the bottom is a drop out. This has happened every day except today at least not yet.

Comment

• JSchnee21
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • May 2017

Well, before drawing any conclusions from a third party product. I would still get your inverter hooked up to the internet (sounds like you may have already done this) and your system registered in the SolarEdge web monitoring portal. With ethernet connectivity (or Ethernet to Wifi bridge (3rd party), you'll get 15min updates with 5min resolution and any warnings errors from the inverter will be logged to the portal. If you have the newer "screenless" HD inverter design you can check your firmware versions with the App or in the Web Portal. But unfortunately, there is no change log (in the web portal, at least) to record when things were updated.

The other possibility could be a loose, cracked, or improperly torqued DC or AC connection. If it is flexing, expanding/contracting, or heating (due to increase resistance), you may get momentary breaks in the connection or enough line disruption for the inverter to briefly go into shutdown due to its "line reactive" circuity.

Comment

• cdtruckn
                              • May 2019

Talked to solaredge yesterday, thy tell me that the inverter is dropping out because of high voltage and line harmonics,
                              so I called pg&e to check my power. The guy showed up and I explain what needs to be checked. He said that the connection on my power lines at the house was not pg&e connection (someone else installed the 200amp service) so he ran a new lines from the pole to the house at that time we pulled the meter and check all the connections. All the connections are good. I asked about pg&e line voltage, he pulled out a book that showed max voltage on there lines 252v max. He also checked the meter volt reading to make sure it was calibrated
                              it was, I have seen my meter as high as 257v. So this morning
                              I checked the meter and the voltage is 247v before the solar system wakes up. around 930am the solar system is producing around 5,500 watts I look at the meter and it has a voltage of 253v already, so I go to my other neighbor's house
                              and check their voltage an it's the same I go two more houses down and is the same I come home and shut down my inverter and everyones including mine dropped to 247v .
                              I turned on the inverter and the voltage stayed at 247 v now at 11am the voltage is climbing is at 250v I believe that is why it drops out several times a day. Trying to get ahold of my installer no one ever gets back to me. Called solaredge with this information thy are fast tracking. I believe my system is over volting my neighborhood.
                              Last edited by cdtruckn; 05-29-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...