No announcement yet.

Getting the best out of my system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a nice idea but since they would be hanging 3" over my batteries I'm gonna pass. Doesn't seem safe when working around my bank. The 2 hole connectors are a must though. So I've ordered the fittings and a new bar. I'm having a hard time finding a new compression tool for these heavier gauge fittings though, as everything I can find under $50 is metric based. Would someone recommend one that will work with 00, 2 and 6 awg?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Put that bus bar on Cherry Isolators silly and save the woody for your wife. Note buss bars are made for two hole connectors. Single hole is asking for a failure and fire, If mobile like an RV, single hole is just begging for trouble and fire to come visit you. Where are the washers and locking hardware?
      True. A single point attachments can (and usually does) find a way to loosen up after a time. Probably why lock washers were invented along with torque wrenches.

Comment

Originally posted by -TX- View Post

Would you expound on that? I have wired my bank to Method #3

thanks.
        I tied the 2- 6 volts in series and tied it to a bus bar as I did to the other 4.

Comment

It's a nice idea but since they would be hanging 3" over my batteries I'm gonna pass. Doesn't seem safe when working around my bank. The 2 hole connectors are a must though. So I've ordered the fittings and a new bar. I'm having a hard time finding a new compression tool for these heavier gauge fittings though, as everything I can find under $50 is metric based. Would someone recommend one that will work with 00, 2 and 6 awg?
          Go to a Electric Supply House and Rent a TNB8S tool. Or rent one from Thomas and Betts here. Or you can buy one for $600.

Also get you a tube of Sanchem No-Ox-A Special. You can buy it from here. Lightly coat the wire skinner before crimping, and lightly coat the buss bar, nuts, bolts, washers, compression terminal, and battery term post. It will last for 50 years after you die. Without it maybe a year or two. .

Last edited by Sunking; 03-09-2017, 03:07 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Looks like a Thomas & Betts TBM-8
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

This is directed to sunk....Before I join this help net I did some reading and I did find this man has a habit of getting a little sarcastic with help answers. Your talking to a 79 year old man that been a advance class Ham operator for more then 40 years and I am also a retired aerospace engineer who worked on a unit that cost 55 million dollars and had 17,000 blue prints to build it. Please don't think that you know it all. I have some of my work on the moon for the last30 years.
              Now, lets get to my system. I use about on the average 250 amp hours a month. I am not planning to go completely off the grid but to cut down my cost of electric as I am being charge 17.4 cents per kwhr. I know that I don't need a 3,000 watt inverter b ut I got a good price on it and also I had to get a sine wave because the square wave makes a ceiling fan sound like hell. Someone ask how I smoked a 80 amp inverter, the answer to that is one solar panel had or develop a short in it and it smoked the inverter. How that happen ....I don't know but it shattered the glass into little pieces and burned a hole in the back. I notified the company about it and have not as yet heard from them.

Comment

That's a good looking bus bar you made, its on the same order that I made but yours is so much better built.

Comment

And if you buy a car that has just enough power to get you to the speed limit and then come to a large hill ...............

Comment

Originally posted by ufoexpert View Post
                    This is directed to sunk....Before I join this help net I did some reading and I did find this man has a habit of getting a little sarcastic with help answers. Your talking to a 79 year old man that been a advance class Ham operator for more then 40 years
                    I am 60 and KF5LJW of 46 years. i am also a PE of 40 years.

73's
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

And if you buy a car that has just enough power to get you to the speed limit and then come to a large hill ...............
                      Unless you live on a pool table, that sounds more like a like a case of poor planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        Go to a Electric Supply House and Rent a TNB8S tool. Or rent one from Thomas and Betts
                        That's a 5 hour drive. Trust me, such things are not available here, even for sale not that I'd buy one.

I need a practical solution or there's no point. I've had to crimp a heavier gage terminal for my kill switch and my compression tool struggled mightily with it.

I do use dielectric.

Comment

Sunking's point, and it's valid, is that in your car meets hill scenario your car would blow up halfway up it.

He's got good info, look at the message.

Comment

That's a 5 hour drive. Trust me, such things are not available here, even for sale not that I'd buy one.

I need a practical solution or there's no point. I've had to crimp a heavier gage terminal for my kill switch and my compression tool struggled mightily with it.

I do use dielectric.
                            OK I got more. Lots of on-line cable shops that will make you any cable you want to your specifications. Or make that 5-hour drive and take all your materials with you and make the cables in the parking lot, then do your shopping in the city you cannot obtain where you live.

Or find a local electrician with the tooling and have him make the cables for you. Hell pay me enough and I will make them and ship them from Panama, but I am not cheap. If you follow me I always recommend DIY's buy terminated cables by a pro. I do that because I know a DIY does not have a $1000 tool and experience to use them. My 16-ton electric Hydraulic Tool cost $5000. Once you ge tlarger than 10 AWG cable, the tools get expensive to do wright with UL Die Codes inspectors are looking for. You canot buy them at wally world of an auto parts store.

Use Google you can find a lot of places in TX. RV, Marine, and Golf Cart guys will do it. Look for custom cable shops. Click what you want and pay. A week later they arrive. .

Hint, search for Marine Battery Cables and you might see something like this.

Good luck, I wil help you, but you gotta do the work.
                            Last edited by Sunking; 03-09-2017, 09:38 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

NW.png

Yeah, I'll pass. That was the 5th site I checked out too, and no 2 hole options (add $10, no doubt).

Before having some unknown boob do this for me at a premium price I'd rather https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hammer-...+cable+crimper Looks as solid as any combiner block, of which I already have one.

Comment

Those will not do a proper job on large cable and lugs which have to be crimped with force measured in tons. They effectively fuse the strands in the cable into a solid unit. Those crimpers work by hitting them with a hammer, not very precise. Just because you can fit 4/0 cable in there doesn't mean it will crimp properly. That's asking for a high resistance point in your system in the worst possible location, right where a whole bunch of metal vaporizing amperage originates.
                                Last edited by littleharbor; 03-09-2017, 10:26 PM.
                                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...
                                X