Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

JPM I am with you. Standardized batteries have been discussed. At best we can hope for is a standardized charging which is in the works. But that is even going to require some flexibility having the charger communicate with the vehicle to determine the requirements. Kind of like saying Ford, Chevy, and Dodge will use the exact same engine. Not going to happen.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      JPM I am with you. Standardized batteries have been discussed. At best we can hope for is a standardized charging which is in the works. But that is even going to require some flexibility having the charger communicate with the vehicle to determine the requirements. Kind of like saying Ford, Chevy, and Dodge will use the exact same engine. Not going to happen.
      But they mostly have 4 wheels and a similar driver's position, and perhaps more to the conversation, mostly the same thermodynamic cycle for power production, namely the Otto cycle. So to me, there's hope.

at the end of the day, just like modern auto advertising techniques, simply convince everyone (guys anyway) that they'll all get more guilt free and responsibility free sex by driving an EV and POOF - EV's will be everywhere and flying off new car lots. But seriously folks, In the end, kit's all about perceptions. Reality has little to do with it for most everyone.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Well JPM I am an advocate for EV's. Just take away the subsidies from Elon and all manufactures.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• GRickard
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2016

Aaaand....... back to the original topic. The news tonight said that this bill was advanced to the whole Senate with an 8 to 2 vote in committee. I was looking around on the Indiana government site and found the same bad bill had been introduced as House Bill 1188. The power companies are really pushing this one.

Greg

Comment

• DanS26
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by GRickard
            Aaaand....... back to the original topic. The news tonight said that this bill was advanced to the whole Senate with an 8 to 2 vote in committee. I was looking around on the Indiana government site and found the same bad bill had been introduced as House Bill 1188. The power companies are really pushing this one.

Greg
            The coal interest and utility self interest have won this battle......it will be decades before the citizens of Indiana will recover from this travesty if ever.

In the mean time the dirty stuff will be burned......and mercury levels will continue to accumulate around these stinkers in SW Indiana. Its really sad.

Solar, at the residential level, is dead in Indiana.

Comment

• GRickard
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2016

Not yet. It still has to get through the whole Senate and House.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                Well JPM I am an advocate for EV's. Just take away the subsidies from Elon and all manufactures.
                +1. And all subsidies for conventional energy producers, farmers, R.E. and everyone else, including anything that skews the free market through the tax system.

I'm done.

Comment

• solar pete
                  Administrator
                  • May 2014

I find it hard to fathom that men and women of good faith in the State of Indiana would allow such a blatant theft of property (produced solar power) from one of their own constituents. How corrupt would the legislature have to be to allow such an act of treachery.

Comment

• GRickard
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2016

8 out of 10 on the utilities committee voted to do it yesterday.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by solar pete
                      I find it hard to fathom that men and women of good faith in the State of Indiana would allow such a blatant theft of property (produced solar power) from one of their own constituents. How corrupt would the legislature have to be to allow such an act of treachery.
                      Well the legislators did vote for the action. At least they will allow anyone that has installed a pv system by June of this year to be grandfathered in with the higher net meter payment. And If you install after that you get a good Net rate for 10 years. After that the credits drop to pretty low numbers.

Comment

• solar pete
                        Administrator
                        • May 2014

So does that mean this "sell all/ buy all" rubbish was removed from the bill? I know I should go read it, cheers.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by solar pete
                          So does that mean this "sell all/ buy all" rubbish was removed from the bill? I know I should go read it, cheers.
                          I am not sure what the total bill said but what I did read was that people can still sell their kWh produce at the same price they started and will be locked in for at least a decade.

I think the idea was to phase out the net metering payments after X years but not shut them down immediately.

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

I am not sure what the total bill said but what I did read was that people can still sell their kWh produce at the same price they started and will be locked in for at least a decade.

I think the idea was to phase out the net metering payments after X years but not shut them down immediately.
                            There is still a world of difference among net metering, metering with separate net buy and net sell meter counters at different rates and "buy all, sell all".
                            Which will it end up being?
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• DanS26
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by inetdog

There is still a world of difference among net metering, metering with separate net buy and net sell meter counters at different rates and "buy all, sell all".
                              Which will it end up being?
                              Section 15 (1) and (2) are still in the bill as written. That section is the "buy all, sell all" provision.
                              Last edited by DanS26; 02-19-2017, 10:20 AM. Reason: It is section 15 not section 16

Comment

• DanS26
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Dec 2011

Here is the language in the bill that is offensive......

" 15. To ensure that a customer is properly charged for the costs of the electricity delivery system through which an electricity supplier provides retail electric service to the customer:

(1) all distributed generation produced by the customer shall be purchased by the electricity supplier at the rate approved by the commission under section 13 of this chapter; and

(2) all electricity consumed by the customer at the premises shall be considered electricity supplied by the electricity supplier and is subject to the applicable retail rate schedule."

I interpret that language as confiscation of private property without adequate compensation.

Comment

Working...