Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

A policy overview piece published last week, utilitydive.com/news/war-peace-and-innovation-solar-policy-in-2016/435991 , mentions that SWEPCO in Texas is also proposing a buy-all, sell-all tariff.

(I really like utilitydive; they seem to present a levelheaded, thorough overview of events in the power utility industry.)

Comment

• DanS26
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by J.P.M.

A quick perusal into the bill's latest update, dated 02/21/2017, and subject to me missing something (which is likely), leads me to wonder if, depending on just how a "net metering facility" is defined in "170 IAC 4 - 4.2 - 1(k)" , whatever that is, such facilities are not, or may not be considered to be "distributed generation facilities" per pp. 8 & 9, of Senate bill 309, under Chap. 40, Sec.3, (3),(b),(2) ,

(b),(2) says: "(b), the term does not include electricity produced by the following",

and : " (2), A net metering facility as defined in (170 IAC 4 - 4.2 - 1(k)) operating under a net metering tariff."

So, if a PV system is on a net metering tariff, it looks like it may not be a considered a "distributed generation facility" and therefore not subject to the requirements of Sec. 15.

Also, Secs. 13 and 4 of the bill look to me like they deal with grandfathering.

Been reading customer and gov. specs for a long time. I haven't torn this one apart because I don't live in IN, but there seems more to it than a simple read might lead one to conclude.

But, like I wrote, maybe and probably I'm missing something.
      The bill phases out net metering and replaces with the "buy all, sell all" provisions of Sec 15.

We need a term for this hybrid "net billing" system so that more people can easily understand where the utility industry is moving. Maybe "buy all, sell all billing" is the best we can do.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanS26
        The bill phases out net metering and replaces with the "buy all, sell all" provisions of Sec 15.
        I missed that. Can you point me in the correct direction in the bill where it says that , or how I can make sense of it ?

Thanx

Edit: Compared to CA net metering, that phaseout looks pretty generous in terms of how long it can last, especially, as I just read, for the 1,000 or so currently net metered customers in IN. The rest of the phaseout also looks pretty gradual to me Also, if that 1,000 cust. figure is close to correct, the 1.5 % cap looks a little larger. Hell, I can probably see 1,000 rooftop installations from my kitchen window. Viewed from ~ 1,500 miles away, it doesn't look like IN is rushing headlong into rooftop PV, at least not so far.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-21-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• GRickard
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2016

It looks like the power companies are hitting this from more than one angle. I found a House Bill 1188 that looks to be the exact same bill. Not sure if this is common practice or not.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by GRickard
            It looks like the power companies are hitting this from more than one angle. I found a House Bill 1188 that looks to be the exact same bill. Not sure if this is common practice or not.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2017/...ument-d09221a2
            Kind of like U.S. congress and other some bicameral bodies. Each chamber writes its own bill and then the two are compared/adjusted until the bills are the same and then passed or not by each chamber. I'd wait for the fin al signature and court challenges before pronouncing gloom/doom. I've heard it said that making legislation is a lot like making sausage. Kind of messy until it gets to market.
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-21-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Looking a bit further into this, it's beginning to look, to me anyway, a lot like what IN is doing is not unlike what's happening elsewhere - getting away from net metering in a somewhat gradual way. The CA net metering of the future is similar but certainly not identical. I just read that ~ 1,000 IN homes currently are on net metering. That doesn't look like a tidal wave assault by solar for IN, especially when considering PV's been around in a serious way for ~ 10 years or so. Hell, I bet I can see that many installations from my kitchen window.

Looks like those folks in IN who are already on net metering, and those who install prior to 07/01/2017 will get ~ 30 years net metering grandfathering. If you install between 07/01/17 and 07/01/22 you'll be grandfathered until 2032. If you install after 07/01/2022, you're SOL. That doesn't seem like a tidal wave of roof top solar assaulting the state, particularly after PV being a lot more viable after having been around for ~ 10 years or so. The 1.5 % cap which looks kind of low compared to other states' rules looks some, or a lot different when considered in the light of the relatively small IN solar utilization rate thus far.

FWIW, I'd still wait and see what the final, signed bill looks like before I got my knickers in a bunch over it. Then, the court challenges will begin. From 1,500 miles away, that bill doesn't look all that much different in sense than CA's current situation, and a hell of a lot better than NV. It also looks, to me at least, and pretty much like most other places, like more than a little fear mongering going on in IN from the solar interests and tree huggers.

Comment

• DanS26
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2011

I don't have a dog in this hunt, since this bill only affects public utilities and I deal with a private Coop. I really don't care how the public utilities bill their customers. I also don't care if IN is a solar friendly state or even if residential solar collapses in IN in the future.

What I do care about is the preservation and protection of private property rights.........and I think the utility interests in promoting this scheme are overstepping the line between private property and corporate property.

Comment

• sensij
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                  Looking a bit further into this, it's beginning to look, to me anyway, a lot like what IN is doing is not unlike what's happening elsewhere - getting away from net metering in a somewhat gradual way. The CA net metering of the future is similar but certainly not identical. I just read that ~ 1,000 IN homes currently are on net metering. That doesn't look like a tidal wave assault by solar for IN, especially when considering PV's been around in a serious way for ~ 10 years or so. Hell, I bet I can see that many installations from my kitchen window.

Looks like those folks in IN who are already on net metering, and those who install prior to 07/01/2017 will get ~ 30 years net metering grandfathering. If you install between 07/01/17 and 07/01/22 you'll be grandfathered until 2032. If you install after 07/01/2022, you're SOL. That doesn't seem like a tidal wave of roof top solar assaulting the state, particularly after PV being a lot more viable after having been around for ~ 10 years or so. The 1.5 % cap which looks kind of low compared to other states' rules looks some, or a lot different when considered in the light of the relatively small IN solar utilization rate thus far.

FWIW, I'd still wait and see what the final, signed bill looks like before I got my knickers in a bunch over it. Then, the court challenges will begin. From 1,500 miles away, that bill doesn't look all that much different in sense than CA's current situation, and a hell of a lot better than NV. It also looks, to me at least, and pretty much like most other places, like more than a little fear mongering going on in IN from the solar interests and tree huggers.
                  FWIW, I'm seeing the same thing...

Originally posted by DanS26

I don't see a phase-out anywhere in the text. Everything I'm seeing in Sections 15-21 relating to the tariff that will eventually replace net metering is applicable only to "excess distributed generation"... whatever is delivered to the grid in excess of what is consumed.

Sec. 5. As used in this chapter, "excess distributed generation" means the difference between: (1) the electricity that is supplied by an electricity supplier to a customer that produces distributed generation; and (2) the electricity that is supplied back to the electricity supplier by the customer.
                  The grandfathering looks good, almost generous.
                  Sec 10 - Sets a 1.5% cap, or a July 1, 2022 deadline for new net metering customers.
                  Sec 11 - Protects the terms and conditions of net metering for 30 years (July 1, 2047), but ends new offers of the tariff after June 30, 2022. Customers eligible for the tariff are defined in sec 13 and 14.
                  Sec 12 - Creates the 1.5% cap, and reserves 40% of it for residential customers
                  Sec 13 - Says that as long as the customer owns, occupies, and resides at the premises, and installs after June 30 2017 and before the Sec 10 deadline, the net metering is protected for 15 years (July 1, 2032).
                  Sec 14 - Says that as long as the customer owns, occupies, and resides at the premises, and installs before July 1 2017, the net metering is protected for 30 years (July 1, 2047).

Sec 18 indicates that the credits are accrued monthly and can be carried forward.

So, with all this, I guess I'm reading a different bill than the one that contains the buy all, sell all provisions. The current net metering policy allows full retail credit to be carried forward indefinitely. (for example, see NIPSCO's net metering rider here) This bill specifies that excess generation will eventually be paid out at a roughly wholesale rate. That isn't very different than what CA does (and has been doing under NEM 1.0) at the annual true-up.

I guess the issue could be the language in Sec 11 that after June 30, 2022, "an electricity supplier may not make a net metering tariff available to customers" i'm not sure that means what we think it means. The definition of net metering tariff is in Sec 7.

Sec. 7. As used in this chapter, "net metering tariff" means a tariff that: (1) an electricity supplier offers for net metering under 170 IAC 4-4.2; and (2) is in effect on January 1, 2017.
                  It looks to me that any new net metering tariff that comes into effect after January 1, 2017 is not necessarily prohibited.
                  Last edited by sensij; 02-21-2017, 06:29 PM.
                  CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• GRickard
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2016

I just watched the Indiana Senate session online and they promptly voted down every proposed amendment. Back to the original language. Not sure when it will be back for a vote now.

Comment

• DanS26
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2011

I just reviewed the latest version of Senate Bill 309 and it appears that the "buy all, sell all" provisions of Section 15 have been removed. It's a small but significant victory for individual property rights.

Section 15 now reads:

"Sec. 15. An electricity supplier shall procure the excess distributed generation produced by a customer at a rate approved by the commission under section 17 of this chapter. Amounts credited to a customer by an electricity supplier for excess distributed generation shall be recognized in the electricity supplier's fuel adjustment proceedings under IC 8-1-2-42"

Compare that to the original language:

"Sec. 15. To ensure that a customer is properly charged for the costs of the electricity delivery system through which an electricity supplier provides retail electric service to the customer:

(1) all distributed generation produced by the customer shall be purchased by the electricity supplier at the rate approved by the commission under section 13 of this chapter; and

(2) all electricity consumed by the customer at the premises shall be considered electricity supplied by the electricity supplier and is subject to the applicable retail rate schedule"

Comment

• solar pete
                        Administrator
                        • May 2014

Sanity prevails, thanks DanS26

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solar pete
                          Sanity prevails, thanks DanS26
                          FWIW, reference the 1st paragraph of the 3d paragraph of my 02/21/2017, 2:06 P.M. post.

Comment

• GRickard
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2016

I did some searching yesterday and found that my home state of Kentucky also has a bill in committee that affects the solar industry.

While it's nowhere near as bad as Indiana's, if I'm reading it right, it would give the utilities the ability to set a whole different rate structure for customers with solar. That concerns me. Maybe someone here can make sense of it better than I can.

Greg

Comment

• DanKegel
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2014

There seems to be some controversy, and harsh words, about the Indiana bill:
                              ​​​​​​pv-magazine-usa.com/2017/02/27/lies-provoke-backlash-on-indiana-solar-bill/

Comment

• cebury
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2011

Interesting, but figures. Of course the author has to be an ass and throw in political party name calling. Everywhere I turn, the more divisive and polarizing comments I see. We are identifying less by our American values and more by political. Maybe it's me as I age or the technology which makes it more visible.

Comment

Working...