Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which panel and system would be best for us? How to decide btw competing quotes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A is $22,400
    B is $20,100

Not sure if the 3 panels more on A justify the increase on price.

Comment

Originally posted by casan View Post
      A is $22,400
      B is $20,100

Not sure if the 3 panels more on A justify the increase on price.

Well
      A is $3.07/w
      B is $3.01/w

Not that much difference in price. I am sure that company A could do a smaller system as well, or company B a larger system.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I'm really not sure.
        Last edited by BigK321; 11-01-2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

When the OP suggests he wants less dependence on the grid...if this is grid tied will it work if the grid is down? Most systems don't and yet many people don't realize this.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofbanff View Post
            When the OP suggests he wants less dependence on the grid...if this is grid tied will it work if the grid is down? Most systems don't and yet many people don't realize this.
            No standard grid tie system will work when the grid goes down. Some will partially work if the string inverters have the Secure Power option like SMA.

The only other type of grid tie would be a hybrid that includes a battery system which will cost a lot more that the prices the OP is getting.

Less dependence can mean a lot of things. It could mean just reducing their electric bill by generating a % of their own power. It does not necessarily mean being off grid or being able to generate power when the grid goes down. Most cost efficient way to do that is use a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by BigK321 View Post
              I would go with Company A personally, but that's just me.
              Care to share why?

Comment

We went with B, upgraded the whole electrical service to 200 amps.

SolarWorld 290W panels with Enphase S280 microinverters.

It took a long time, we signed the contract at the beginning of February, panels where finally installed at the end of March and utility installed the Net meter at the end of April, in fact 2 days ago. So almost 3 months before having the system up and running. The installer advised us that they were busy and it'd take a while before they could get to us but we didn't expected the utility to take so long before installing the net meter. Of course all the work was permitted and inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofbanff View Post
                  We knew that. We have a generator. Still wish there was a way to use your panels without recurring to batteries when the grid is down.

Comment

for SPR-E20-327, what is the cost/pane for microinverters vs edge optimizer with Solar Edge SE7600A-US.. 21 panels? I was quoted about $4000 higher for microinverters.. is that correct?

To tag on to previous conversation, I have heard I may be able to install a "switch" to power home when grid is down... true?

Comment

Originally posted by Yamabu View Post

To tag on to previous conversation, I have heard I may be able to install a "switch" to power home when grid is down... true?
                      Some systems can be configured for bimodal operation. Generally the inverter is much more expensive and batteries need to be added. It is much more than just "a Switch".
                      Also it is unlikely to power the WHOLE home. I have just a small sub panel powered by solar though it is the things I care about.
                      The SE7600 can be upgraded to the StorEdge and you can then add a battery for backup capabilities.
                      Most systems are much more difficult to add backup to though.

Comment

Thanks Butch-- I wasn't clear... I received two quotes, one with microinverters, the other with edge optimizers... I was just wondering what the cost/panel is for the solar company to put microinverters on each panel --21 panels if quantity matters... thanks

Comment

Thanks Butch-- I wasn't clear... I received two quotes, one with microinverters, the other with edge optimizers... I was just wondering what the cost/panel is for the solar company to put microinverters on each panel --21 panels if quantity matters... thanks
                          I was commenting on your statement about being able to add a switch to run the home on solar without the grid and how inaccurate that is.

You keep calling them edge optimizers. The company name is SolarEdge and they are just optimizers or SolarEdge optimizers.

Enphase micro inverters run about $130 to $150 each. but you also have an expensive cable that is required so add another $20 each

Comment

got it, thanks Butch.. appreciate the correction on terminology. Back to the "switch," sounds like it is good to have the SE-7600 for possible future upgrade with StorEdge. SE-6000A was in a previous quote, I am not quite sure why the company changed the inverter.. I am assuming the 7600 is more expensive.

Appreciate your time on this board..

Comment

got it, thanks Butch.. appreciate the correction on terminology. Back to the "switch," sounds like it is good to have the SE-7600 for possible future upgrade with StorEdge. SE-6000A was in a previous quote, I am not quite sure why the company changed the inverter.. I am assuming the 7600 is more expensive.

The upgrade path from the base 7600 to Storedge isn't clear. For now, SolarEdge offers a $608 credit toward the purchase of a Storedge inverter when trading in a 7600A base model.

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/filed...3&d=1492186097

(Courtesy of DanKegel)
                              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Yes the SE7600 costs more. A whole $200 more.

We have stopped selling the SE6000 all together.

Comment

Working...
                                X