Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stringpark
    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.

At one time I settled on a bypass to the plumbing similar to what's often done in industrial applications around the check valve so as to be able to remove/service the valve without shutting the system down.
    My current setup uses a motorized ball valve with power passing through the differential controller; pump on = valve open. pump off = valve closed. Fit for purpose.
    Nice! I like both of those ideas! I have an add-on actuator on the ball valve for the water main coming into the house that works really well, and I thought of using the same setup for exactly what you described. Guess I'll first see how well the check valve functions after installing the strainer.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Stringpark

Nice! I like both of those ideas! I have an add-on actuator on the ball valve for the water main coming into the house that works really well, and I thought of using the same setup for exactly what you described. Guess I'll first see how well the check valve functions after installing the strainer.
      Depending on how thorough the cleaning was, etc. and because things like check valves tend to be catch-alls for debris in a system, expect to be either cleaning a check value quite often of at least checking it - which is pretty much the same thing.

Comment

• LucMan
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2010

I have used bag filters in the past to clean up piping contamination with excellent results, never had much luck with Y strainers for cleanup just for stopping the large chunks that could lodge in the impeller of a pump. The replacement bags come in different micron capable sizes to remove even the finest particulate and are washable for reuse.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LucMan
          I have used bag filters in the past to clean up piping contamination with excellent results, never had much luck with Y strainers for cleanup just for stopping the large chunks that could lodge in the impeller of a pump. The replacement bags come in different micron capable sizes to remove even the finest particulate and are washable for reuse.
          If I needed to strain I'd use both to to keep shavings/filings away from the fine mesh and perhaps tearing/cutting/impairing the mesh efficacy.

Comment

• Stringpark
            • Jan 2019

Great info! Thx LucMan and J.P.M.! I don't have any experience with bag filters. Would you guys be able to point me toward a specific product that you have had success with in the past? Google is steering me toward large, whole home type filters that look to be pretty expensive.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Stringpark
              Great info! Thx LucMan and J.P.M.! I don't have any experience with bag filters. Would you guys be able to point me toward a specific product that you have had success with in the past? Google is steering me toward large, whole home type filters that look to be pretty expensive.
              Outside of any industrial applications in use before I retired that are still in use, I'm ignorant of current products. But, I'd guess a regular filter would get most/all harmful particulates out of a PV system. I'd be more concerned about the chemistry of any old/aged heat transfer fluid.

Comment

• LucMan
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2010

East Coast Filter, Inc. strives to make your Filtration Needs our Highest Priority and it is our Mission to help our Clients improve Efficiency and Business Profitability Today and Tomorrow.

You will need the steel version, they are expensive. You could make one easily enough with some scrap 4" D x 16" long steel pipe after you purchase a filter for sizing. Water flows into the bag and out the sides and bottom.

Comment

• Stringpark
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by LucMan
                  https://www.eastcoastfilter.com/
                  You will need the steel version, they are expensive. You could make one easily enough with some scrap 4" D x 16" long steel pipe after you purchase a filter for sizing. Water flows into the bag and out the sides and bottom.
                  Good deal. Thx!

Comment

Working...