Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approx. Cost for 10m Wide, 1KM Solar Roof on Road

Hi Experts,

I found 1 of the creative Idea over internet i.e.

"Solar Roof on Road With Advertisements & Rain Water Harvesting System"

Mod note - link removed

I like to know, whats the Approx. Cost for building such 10 meter Wide, 1KM long, Road.

because, i think with such approach, we'll able to get maximum benefit from solar energy in Every City/Village/Country & also with much lesser time.

& also like to know, what are the Drawbacks of such system, if any,

as 1 drawback i noticed,
    ads will create disturbance, but i think, that disturbance will be only at initial level, but when its fully implemented, distraction will also be minimal.

Thanks in Advance
    Ashish
    Last edited by russ; 02-03-2015, 09:50 AM.

Congratulations on finding one really useless idea. The advantages listed are not advantages at all really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Why Useless

Originally posted by russ View Post
      Congratulations on finding one really useless idea. The advantages listed are not advantages at all really.
      Dear Russ,

Kindly explain in details, how its useless ???

Comment

Originally posted by erashish14 View Post
        Dear Russ,

Kindly explain in details, how its useless ???
        Explain why BS is BS? In detail? No thanks however - To start with land for solar farms is not the problem - it is the least of the problem. This idea comes up with a couple of very small plus points and lots of negatives.

Most of your costs will be local ones - land, permits, structures (major), interconnections and on. The panels will be a small part and the commercial size no one here can comment on. You would have to spend some money and talk to an engineering firm.
        Last edited by russ; 02-05-2015, 05:13 AM. Reason: added
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Explain why BS is BS? In detail? No thanks however - To start with land for solar farms is not the problem - it is the least of the problem. This idea comes up with a couple of very small plus points and lots of negatives.

Most of your costs will be local ones - land, permits, structures (major), interconnections and on. The panels will be a small part and the commercial size no one here can comment on. You would have to spend some money and talk to an engineering firm.
          Dear Russ,

Solar Panels are above Roads, which is under government control (i think), so there will be no issue of land, permits, etc.

for structure & interconnection, cost is the major issue, which can be provided by advertisers,

Check the below link once
          http://www.gizmag.com/solar-rail-tun...mpleted/18881/

Comment

Dear Russ,

Solar Panels are above Roads, which is under government control (i think), so there will be no issue of land, permits, etc.

for structure & interconnection, cost is the major issue, which can be provided by advertisers,

Another wacko idea with government money carrying the day. All this is silly green BS. The cost of the land is not that big of a deal.

Not one of those 245 watt panels is oriented in an optimal direction - they are far less than what they should be - cleaning is a really big deal.

The advertising is eye candy for the green fools to support.

All in all, really a stupid idea.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

For the Gizmag thing - Say 50,000 m2 of panels operating at 10% efficiency (which is very high considering orientation) for an average of 3 sun hours per day (it is Belgium and that may be excessive) 365 days a year = 50,000*.1*3*365/1,000 = 5,475 mW generated. Maybe 150,000$ to 300,000$ US worth of power generated per year - for that investment wow NOT
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Dear Russ,

The real issue here is cost. There are lots of cheaper places to put solar arrays than over roads.

Consider that a solar array over a road needs to be elevated above the traffic on a structure strong enough to withstand windstorms, snow, etc., and in a way that it won't cost huge amounts of money to fix every time someone crashes into a pole, and you begin to appreciate the challenges. That solar railroad, for example, cost about $5/watt according to the article you linked, which is substantially more expensive per watt than putting the same number of panels on the roof of a warehouse.

Maybe once all the suitable flat roofs, parking lots, billboards, etc., have been covered in solar panels, then roads would be worth considering.
                16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

Originally posted by pleppik View Post
                  The real issue here is cost. There are lots of cheaper places to put solar arrays than over roads.Consider that a solar array over a road needs to be elevated above the traffic on a structure strong enough to withstand windstorms, snow, etc., and in a way that it won't cost huge amounts of money to fix every time someone crashes into a pole, and you begin to appreciate the challenges. That solar railroad, for example, cost about $5/watt according to the article you linked, which is substantially more expensive per watt than putting the same number of panels on the roof of a warehouse.Maybe once all the suitable flat roofs, parking lots, billboards, etc., have been covered in solar panels, then roads would be worth considering.
                  That 5$ per watt is just a number some fool at Gizmag pulled out of his backside (or some Belgian did). I quit Gizmag long back due to their loony reporting.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Approx Cost Please

Dear All,

Thanks for presenting the issues behind solar roads, but just for a time, if somebody plans solar roof on roads, than what would be the cost per KM,

You all are experts in this industry, so kindly give me some rough idea of Approx cost.

Thanks in Advance
                    Ashish

Comment

Dear All,

Thanks for presenting the issues behind solar roads, but just for a time, if somebody plans solar roof on roads, than what would be the cost per KM,

You all are experts in this industry, so kindly give me some rough idea of Approx cost.

Thanks in Advance
                      Ashish
                      The solar part would cost no more than putting it on any flat roof. What we can't estimate is the structure that it would take to span the road to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf View Post
                        The solar part would cost no more than putting it on any flat roof. What we can't estimate is the structure that it would take to span the road to support it.

I agree.

Don't forget about the cost to install the required lighting under the solar roof. You would now have a tunnel and not be able to light a large area of the road with the standard tall 1000 watt pole mounted fixture so it would require many more lighting fixtures to get the appropriate foot-candle level for drivers to safely see other vehicles.

There probably would be all types of requirements (safety & construction codes) set by the Department of Transit (or whatever they are called in other Countries) for the installation and maintenance of that system which adds costs to the project.

Just too many variables to consider to pin down an accurate cost /KM for a solar roadway roof.

Comment

Dear All,

This is really the wrong place to try to get a question like that answered. A lot will depend on the road, local labor and material rates, the exact design of the system, etc. This is a significant engineering project, and a bunch of random yahoos on the Internet won't have a clue about the answer.
                          16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

Originally posted by pleppik View Post
                            This is really the wrong place to try to get a question like that answered. A lot will depend on the road, local labor and material rates, the exact design of the system, etc. This is a significant engineering project, and a bunch of random yahoos on the Internet won't have a clue about the answer.
                            Plus it is a large commercial installation which is totally out of the scope of all here - except possibly Sunking. This is typical for India - try to get someone to do your work for free.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Installing solar panels over the roads is not very practical.
                              Quality Solar Panels and Lights at Grecosolar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X