X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonvr
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by silversaver

I do use 2 main data: solar annual production vs SCE usage after your net 12 months. Since I drive less distance to work now and I am only withdraw 1k kwh from SCE after my net 12 months bill. Without the EV, my solar still cover 100% usage (2021 were not hot as 2020). You just need to collect as much data you can. I know my EV's eMPG (or miles per kWh). Driving EV isn't that same as before anymore. Your cost will be now $0.26 depends on your solar size, but mostly in $0.34 per kWh range. Too bad SCE only allow 100% coverage when start a new solar.

Good news is your TOD-D-A credit will be in your account until your 12 months end after your switch to Tier plan.
    Kinda stinks for me because I didn't size for 100% due to the promise of NEM and TOU rates. Now, being a net consumer absolutely means I will have a bill at my true up. I do have the ability to increase by up to 1kW or 10% (whichever is greater) and can remain under NEM 1.0, so I'll have to see if that makes financial sense (and if my inverter can handle it)

Comment

• nomadh
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Ward L
      I think since I have been an exporter of kWh over the year, it doesn't matter much if I am on the TOU or tiered rate. I have an excess of kWh and they pay me 4 cents/kWh or less for my excess power. The off peak power rate is 13 cents with TOU and 26 cents with tiered. At the end of the relevant period year I have an excess of kWh and it doesn't matter if I used expensive kWhs or cheap kWhs, they pay me the same 4 cents for the kWhs I gave them.
      Maybe make a deal with a neighbor to hook up to an extension and charge him a discount for some electricity?

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jasonvr

Kinda stinks for me because I didn't size for 100% due to the promise of NEM and TOU rates. Now, being a net consumer absolutely means I will have a bill at my true up. I do have the ability to increase by up to 1kW or 10% (whichever is greater) and can remain under NEM 1.0, so I'll have to see if that makes financial sense (and if my inverter can handle it)
        I'm NEM 1.0, never left tiered rates and will probably - depending on what the CPUC and SDG & E do with rates - stay that way as long as possible. even though I've got an array, given my use and usage pattern, for any reasonable scenario, T.O.U. rates are more expensive for me.

Comment

• silversaver
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2013

Yes, check with your solar size vs inverter. I originally have 2 X13 panels of 255W. I end up adding one panel to each array and still using the same inverter. I am running a SMA 6K

Comment

• gvl
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2015

With the 05/15 PTO SCE hasn't kicked us out from the TOU-D-A as of yet but likely will soon. I previously looked into the numbers the tiered plan would work better, fortunately I'm on NEM 1.0 so that is an option. We have an aging EV that will likely need to be disposed of in the near future and I'm not yet sold on the idea of getting another, without an EV we will be close to 0-offset, so I think it will work out well overall. Technically I can add about 1kW without violating my NEM agreement, will need to see if it makes any financial sense after they switch me over.

Comment

• jasonvr
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by gvl
              With the 05/15 PTO SCE hasn't kicked us out from the TOU-D-A as of yet but likely will soon. I previously looked into the numbers the tiered plan would work better, fortunately I'm on NEM 1.0 so that is an option. We have an aging EV that will likely need to be disposed of in the near future and I'm not yet sold on the idea of getting another, without an EV we will be close to 0-offset, so I think it will work out well overall. Technically I can add about 1kW without violating my NEM agreement, will need to see if it makes any financial sense after they switch me over.
              I'm really surprised you haven't been kicked off. I'm assuming you mean May 2015 PTO. You only were guaranteed 5 years, not to exceed 2022. So if they haven't done it yet, it'll be done this year.

Comment

• gvl
                Solar Fanatic
                • Mar 2015

I'm really surprised you haven't been kicked off. I'm assuming you mean May 2015 PTO. You only were guaranteed 5 years, not to exceed 2022. So if they haven't done it yet, it'll be done this year.

Yes it is May 2015 PTO and I'm surprised as well, I was expecting to be kicked off starting June last year but it didn't happen. No complaints though, I'll ride it as long as they let me

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

I'm with SDG & E and an NEM 1.0 user. When T.O.U. was made "mandatory" several years ago as part of the 5 yr. grandfathering on old T.O.U. times, SDG & E NEM 1.0 customers were told (but rather cryptically) they must "actively decline" to accept a T.O.U. rate. Otherwise, T.O.U. rates wound happen. The decline form was available but while not hidden, was not immediately apparent.

The few of my neighbors who had not yet succumbed to T.O.U. and who even bothered to read the notice of the opt out requirement mostly ignored it or didn't understand what was going on and wound up on T.O.U. The wording was cryptic and vague, but the fact was (at the time) that NEM 1.0 users could stay on tiered rates by such an "active decline" for 20 years from original P.T.O. which would mean they would stay on tiered rates. I made such a written declaration and am still on the same tiered rate tariff I started on in 2003 (Schedule DR).

I'll be interested to see if/when the CPUC gets around to voting on the latest NEM 3.0 proposals whether or not NEM 1.0 users who are still on tiered rates will be forced to T.O.U.

Comment

• gvl
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2015

^^ Last time I spoke to SCE about the grandfathered TOU-D-A being discontinued they indicated I can switch to the tiered plan at any time given I'm a NEM1.0 customer. I can see they may be willing to switch me over to a new solar-unfriendly TOU plan by default, but I hope what they told me was correct and the tiered plan remains an elective option.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by gvl
                      ^^ Last time I spoke to SCE about the grandfathered TOU-D-A being discontinued they indicated I can switch to the tiered plan at any time given I'm a NEM1.0 customer. I can see they may be willing to switch me over to a new solar-unfriendly TOU plan by default, but I hope what they told me was correct and the tiered plan remains an elective option.
                      If/until MEM 3.0 comes along and changes things, I believe a tiered rate tariff is still available for I.O.U. customers.

The last rate sheet for schedule DR for SDG & E (Sheet # 35702 - E) was issued 12/30/21 making tiered rates still available as of that date and if so, I'd suggest still available on that date.

Even though they are not my POCO, I've talked to SCE in the past and found them hit/miss on ease of dealing with I'd suggest you give them a call and get what you've been told confirmed.

Comment

• steachj
                        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by J.P.M.

I'm with SDG & E and an NEM 1.0 user. When T.O.U. was made "mandatory" several years ago as part of the 5 yr. grandfathering on old T.O.U. times, SDG & E NEM 1.0 customers were told (but rather cryptically) they must "actively decline" to accept a T.O.U. rate. Otherwise, T.O.U. rates wound happen. The decline form was available but while not hidden, was not immediately apparent.

The few of my neighbors who had not yet succumbed to T.O.U. and who even bothered to read the notice of the opt out requirement mostly ignored it or didn't understand what was going on and wound up on T.O.U. The wording was cryptic and vague, but the fact was (at the time) that NEM 1.0 users could stay on tiered rates by such an "active decline" for 20 years from original P.T.O. which would mean they would stay on tiered rates. I made such a written declaration and am still on the same tiered rate tariff I started on in 2003 (Schedule DR).

I'll be interested to see if/when the CPUC gets around to voting on the latest NEM 3.0 proposals whether or not NEM 1.0 users who are still on tiered rates will be forced to T.O.U.
                        Is this what your looking for:

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by steachj

Is this what your looking for:
                          https://pages.email.sce.com/toutransition/en/
                          gvl:

If you still want to stay on tiered rates, that sure looks like the form you need. I'd still call SCE to confirm and make sure to get the name of the person you speak with.

Comment

• jasonvr
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

gvl:

If you still want to stay on tiered rates, that sure looks like the form you need. I'd still call SCE to confirm and make sure to get the name of the person you speak with.
                            I was able to move over to tiered from TOU-D-A over the phone when TOU-D-A got eliminated

Comment

• gvl
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Mar 2015

gvl:

That looks like a form to stay on a tiered rate. Frankly I'm afraid to call, who knows maybe they kept me on TOU-D-A for so long because I slid under the radar due to a software glitch. From that point of view it's probably best to keep quiet, and maybe they'll let me stay on TOU-D-A forever

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

My solar start in Dec 2013 and the TOU-D-A end on Dec 2021. I just use sce.com switch to Domestic (tier plan)

If you size your solar 100% coverage, the additional is really the EV or other appliances as electric water heater which some of my friend use.

Comment

Working...