X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would go for the bigger panel even if you have to derate it. I like the simplicity of not having a line side tap but that is not a professional opinion.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

I ideally want to use the 225 amp panel as well because, if all goes well, I plan to expand the system next year. I need about 15 kW to offset my usage and Duke allows net metering for you to 20 kW, but their rebate is only up to 10 kW. So I’m doing the 10 now and thinking of another 5 next year. I would imagine having line side taps with two arrays wouldn’t be fun.

Comment

@CycloneFW, question did you only pay $10,500 (net) for your 28 panel system? That is an amazing price!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBinotto View Post
          @CycloneFW, question did you only pay $10,500 (net) for your 28 panel system? That is an amazing price!
          Overall, a bit more, but basically yes. $10,750 after the Duke Energy rebate and ITC for the solar itself, but I also had to remove a big tree, trim others, and do a panel upgrade. With everything so far, net is $13,500. But looking at the solar install itself, I've noticed pricing become much more competitive in the past few months. The next best quote was for $14,250 (different local installer) using SunPower panels on a 10.4 kW system. Third best was $15,250 for a 10.08 kW system using REC panels.

I was very tempted to go with the SunPower system, but as I read this forum, the mantra lately has been that "tier 1 panels are a commodity, don't pay a premium". Hence I saved a few thousand to go with the Solaria panels. Also, the Solaria's are higher rated, so I needed fewer panels now, leaving room on the optimal roof for expansion next year.

Comment

Originally posted by CycloneFW View Post
            .......I plan to expand the system next year. I need about 15 kW to offset my usage and Duke allows net metering for you to 20 kW, but their rebate is only up to 10 kW. So I’m doing the 10 now and thinking of another 5 next year.......
            When you say the rebate, do you mean the end of year true up or the month to month crediting of power that you generate?
            Has there been any erosion in the TOU time periods (if you have Time of Use pricing) or other trends that might influence your next phase?

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
              When you say the rebate, do you mean the end of year true up or the month to month crediting of power that you generate?
              Has there been any erosion in the TOU time periods (if you have Time of Use pricing) or other trends that might influence your next phase?
              Install rebate of $0.60 / W up to $6,000 available in 2018 - 2022 for up to a certain dollar amount for all applications of the rebate each year. Expansion of systems is permitted under the rebate terms.

There is a Time of Use rate schedule. I can switch to, but unless I’m offsetting most of my usage, the demand charges won’t make it be worth it. There is also a Critical Loads rate schedule I could switch to that doesn’t have demand charges, but net metering is not permitted on that plan. Also, the install rebate requires signing up for NM.

Meanwhile, there is not a true-up with my POCO. May 31st (or the bill a few days later as my meter is usually “read” in the 4th) there is a wipeout of any carryover credits.

Comment

[QUOTE=CycloneFW;n418563]

Overall, a bit more, but basically yes. $10,750 after the Duke Energy rebate and ITC for the solar itself, but I also had to remove a big tree, trim others, and do a panel upgrade. With everything so far, net is $13,500. But looking at the solar install itself, I've noticed pricing become much more competitive in the past few months. The next best quote was for $14,250 (different local installer) using SunPower panels on a 10.4 kW system. Third best was $15,250 for a 10.08 kW system using REC panels.

I just installed 16 Solaria PowerXT 365R-PD panels with SE-6000H. Its a 5.8Kw system which will produce ~9800 annual kWh (which is a bit less than yours but I have no shade and live in southern California) for net price of $12,100. I am blown away that you got a cheaper price for 28 panels! Must be the California cost of living! I looked at SunPower too. I decided against them. The Solaria PowerXT are great and look amazing!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBinotto View Post
                  I just installed 16 Solaria PowerXT 365R-PD panels with SE-6000H. Its a 5.8Kw system which will produce ~9800 annual kWh (which is a bit less than yours but I have no shade and live in southern California) for net price of $12,100. I am blown away that you got a cheaper price for 28 panels! Must be the California cost of living! I looked at SunPower too. I decided against them. The Solaria PowerXT are great and look amazing!
                  That looks great! Nobody I know has Solaria panels, so I had no local opinions. That said, mine face the backyard, so nobody will see these nice looking panels.

Those estimates production numbers look amazing! If I didn’t have so much shade, the expected output (per PVWatts) is around 15k kWh, which would potentially offset everything once net metering and maybe ToU apply. Your system being almost half the size of mine will only roughly a 1k kWh/year difference is great.

All the companies I seriously considered have production guarantees, but the one I went with provides either a check for the difference or additional panels to make up for the difference. One of the other two offered such a choice, but the extra panels would be at materials cost vs. no-cost. The panels themselves from wholesalers online don’t seem too bad at $335 each, but if multiple panels would be needed to make up for the difference, that would add up fast.

That said, the company doing my install had the most pessimistic production estimates of all, so I doubt I will need to make use on the guarantee.

This is the expected layout now. Ignore the conduit comment, they are changing it to be all inside except for that gap between the panels on the main roof.
                  Last edited by CycloneFW; 08-01-2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Question for everyone. Given that I’m likely to expand on the system next year, I was poking around. I believe I can get another 5 panels on these roofs before I then have to go on the other side and get NE facing panels (these are SW facing). The 5 would be another 1.8 kW nameplate. Should I ask the installer to put in the SE11400H instead of SE10000H so it has more room for the extra panels in a year? I don’t particularly mind oversizing the array to the inverter, especially given my shade, but on the DIY side, the inverters are only about $300 apart in price. Even if they increase my price by $300, would it be worth it to get the larger inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by CycloneFW View Post
                      Question for everyone. Given that I’m likely to expand on the system next year, I was poking around. I believe I can get another 5 panels on these roofs ............ inverters are only about $300 apart in price. Even if they increase my price by $300, would it be worth it to get the larger inverter?
                      If that won't mess with your paperwork with Duke Energy I would go for it. It is a good hedge. If you found that Duke has already approved the inverter size dont worry about it too much. Many of the Solaredge inverters can be run at DC to AC ratios of 1.5 to 1.

Comment

What did you decide to do and how did it work out?

Comment

Upgraded to the SE11400H-US for $350. My panel upgrade is essentially complete. Rough-in inspection next week, then button up.

Meanwhile, the solar installer submitted my paperwork. The county approved the permit and we are waiting on Duke Energy’s approval of system. After that, we can schedule the install. Expected to be late August/early Sept.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Glad to see it didn't cost much. I assume it did not mess with your rebate from Duke?
                            Speaking of the rebate, I know you have some time to think about this before you file, what is your interpretation of the effect of the rebate on the amount that the ITC is figured at? I have seen interpretations that rebates have no effect and other opinions that the rebate lowers the basis for ITC. You gave some net cost on another thread but I did not do the math to see what your assumption was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
                              Thanks for the update. Glad to see it didn't cost much. I assume it did not mess with your rebate from Duke?
                              Speaking of the rebate, I know you have some time to think about this before you file, what is your interpretation of the effect of the rebate on the amount that the ITC is figured at? I have seen interpretations that rebates have no effect and other opinions that the rebate lowers the basis for ITC. You gave some net cost on another thread but I did not do the math to see what your assumption was.
                              The inverter didn’t affect the Duke rebate. It’s capped at the inverter being 10 kW and anything extra just doesn’t get the $0.60/W discount.

My solar installer’s guidance is the rebate doesn’t impact the ITC. Also, the Duke rebate isn’t guaranteed (which may be part of why the installer gives that guidance) as it is a first-come, first-serve thing that typically gets filled up for the year within the first few hours of the first business day in January.

Comment

So you might not know if you got the rebate until after January.

Comment

Working...
                                X