X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimqpublic
    • Oct 2014

I paid a licensed solar installer to pull the permit, deal with the utility, and install the system. If I were doing it again I would do it myself and hire an electrician to do the final hookup. I used microinverters but with a big inverter it would make sense to have the electrician "install" the inverter to protect your warranty. In 7 years I haven't had a hiccup from any of 22 Enphase microinverters or Solarworld panels. I think your risk of substantial loss due to warranty-covered failure is low with microinverters and panels because each individual unit is fairly inexpensive vs. a big string inverter.

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

I have had had to replace a Solaredge inverter and an Enphase Microinverter. Both were self installed and there was no issue. In both cases they did not even ask if a licensed contractor did the install. Perhaps electronics can be diagnosed remotely so that may be all those manufacturers need.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• chrisski
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2020

My AC to DC converter I just bought has the “must be installed by licensed electrician on it” and went bad. THe company is processing the warranty now.

I bet this is in a lot of electronic components which a company could use to void the warranty if they get something was fishy with the return, or just void any warranty if they wanted to.

Comment

Working...