Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY installs and warranty? Only valid if installed by a licensed electrician?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY installs and warranty? Only valid if installed by a licensed electrician?

So what does this mean for DIY installers? i pulled the permit, do the install myself. Do I just forfeit any kind of warranty on the panels/microinvertes (enphase built into panels) ?

Look at section 6(b) here - ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/solar/warran...8_warranty.pdf

Source: https://na.panasonic.com/us/support/solar-warranty

You're probably referring to: "...no proof of installation by a qualified licensed solar or electrical contractor."

To cover yourself, can you find a friendly licensed electrician who will review your work and sign off on it, for a small fee? Assuming that you're in the US, my guess is to expect a bill between $100 and $200, depending on who you hire and where you live. That might be cheap insurance, especially if he finds something.

I think that most building inspectors also carry licenses, although slightly different from an electrical contractor's license. If you don't want to get a private electrician, can you ask the local building inspector that signs off on your job to give you a signed document that says "work installed correctly"?

Either of those should be proof that the work was done correctly, under the supervision of a qualified, licensed professional. In the end, that's what many licensed electrical contractors are: someone with a license who supervises others.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

That is the clause I am referring to indeed.

I am pulling a permit for my DIY install, which involves 2 inspections (first half way though for the racking, second for the finished install). That seems to be very similar to your suggestion (if not the same?) if you pass inspections, it means it was installed properly and to code.

I am more curious if any DIYers have dealt with Panasonic's warranty, and if they had any issues getting warranty on their DIY install.

That clause can either be Panasonic covering their ass, so that they can decline warranty if you just bought the panels and threw them together in your backyard without telling anyone and it was the reason they failed. Or it could be a clause that is strictly enforced and DIYers do indeed forfeit their warranty (if this is the case I dont see them being OK with someone signing off on your install). Unfortunately without hearing real stories of people claiming warranty, its hard to know which one of these two it is. I surely hope warranty isnt forfeit for DIYers.

Comment

Originally posted by Duxa View Post
        Do I just forfeit any kind of warranty on the panels/microinvertes (enphase built into panels) ?[/URL]
        Not necessarily but still, people put far too much faith into warranties, especially really long warranties. If you have a significant claim sometime in the future, I'll bet a self-installed system will give them plenty enough reasons to find a way out. The manufacturer has "sole and absolute discretion" in what claims are covered.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Personally I'd go with different components. I installed a SolarEdge system and they had no issue providing warranty replacements for a DIY system.

Comment

Update: I contacted Panasonic, they said that as long as I have proof that everything was installed properly (permit work and inspection sign off, and if I registered the panels on their site) then there would be no problems and the panels would have 25 year warranty. And in this case Enphase IQ7Xs would also be under 25 year warranty since they are part of the panel (and are warrantied by Panasonic, not Enphase).

Comment

I am thinking about installing some panels on my roof, but I was just wondering how self installers are expected to prove that they were installed correctly? If I install some panels myself, do you think they will accept photos of the installation as proof that is has been done correctly? Who is the inspector that signs it off and how much does that cost please?

Comment

Originally posted by HarryC View Post
                I am thinking about installing some panels on my roof, but I was just wondering how self installers are expected to prove that they were installed correctly? ......... Who is the inspector that signs it off and how much does that cost please?
                When you pull a building permit the Authority Having Jurisdiction sends out inspectors. As noted earlier a final inspection would be one type of proof. The cost of a permit varies from on AHJ to another.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

I am thinking about installing some panels on my roof, but I was just wondering how self installers are expected to prove that they were installed correctly? If I install some panels myself, do you think they will accept photos of the installation as proof that is has been done correctly? Who is the inspector that signs it off and how much does that cost please?
                  As Ampster said, you pull a permit from your city (the AHJ in most cases), there are typically 2 inspections, one for the racking/electrical, after you install those you schedule an inspection (this is all part of the permit cost), once they sign off on your racking/electrical you can put up the panels, once those are up you schedule a final inspection. Once they sign off on that you submit it to the utility company who will take another month or so to get you PTO (permission to operate).

In my personal case (Southern California), the permit (which includes plan checks and all inpsections) was around $450. I had to get engineering stamps for the plans, which was another $400 (including plan prep). Also I am with SCE for utility and its a $75 fee to submit an application with them to get solar going.

As far as proof of proper install, the inspection documents from the city (which are required) is proof enough.

You cant just put up panels without getting a permit (in most places), and you cant just turn them on without your utility giving the green light (its illegal to do so).

Comment

Originally posted by Duxa View Post

As Ampster said, you pull a permit from your city (the AHJ in most cases), there are typically 2 inspections, one for the racking/electrical, after you install those you schedule an inspection (this is all part of the permit cost), once they sign off on your racking/electrical you can put up the panels, once those are up you schedule a final inspection. Once they sign off on that you submit it to the utility company who will take another month or so to get you PTO (permission to operate).

In my personal case (Southern California), the permit (which includes plan checks and all inpsections) was around $450. I had to get engineering stamps for the plans, which was another $400 (including plan prep). Also I am with SCE for utility and its a $75 fee to submit an application with them to get solar going.

As far as proof of proper install, the inspection documents from the city (which are required) is proof enough.

You cant just put up panels without getting a permit (in most places), and you cant just turn them on without your utility giving the green light (its illegal to do so).
                    And you certainly won't get any equipment warranty without the sign off from an AHJ. So there is more to think about going DIY then just purchasing the hardware.

Comment

I am based in the UK, I've read that someone from the building control office might want to visit before the panels are installed.
                      Rics find a surveyor website has a list of PV surveyors, but most are self employed. Will the signature from these types of self employed surveyors be accepted under the warranties under 'qualified licensed solar or electrical contractor'?

Comment

I am based in the UK, I've read that someone from the building control office might want to visit before the panels are installed.
                        Rics find a surveyor website has a list of PV surveyors, but most are self employed. Will the signature from these types of self employed surveyors be accepted under the warranties under 'qualified licensed solar or electrical contractor'?
                        I'd call the folks who are responsible for enforcement of the rules you read and enquire.
                        If this is going to be a DIY project, that's probably a good idea anyway.
                        Before I asked about inspections, I'd ask them, first off, if IBC code requirements apply to your application at all.
                        Or, if so, which parts of the IBC, chapter and verse, they are talking about. The IBC is a pretty big document.
                        While I was asking, I'd enquire what, if any, other codes apply to your project.

Comment

I would have done it on my own because it's not for nothing that I got a license and trained as an electrician for so many years. It wasn't easy, but I managed to find a solution that showed positive results. That's why check over here to find out more details about it. I am sure that such a resource will also be helpful for you because I managed to solve my problems on the type of technical issues, so there are no problems now.
                          Last edited by merrykeys; 10-12-2021, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by merrykeys View Post
                            I would do it on my own because I have an electrician's license and this task does not seem difficult to me.
                            As long as your local AHJ has no problem with you doing the install then I say go for it. Unfortunately some areas won't recognized even a licensed electrician for solar installs but other places don't care if you have any electrical background. Go figure.

Comment

In my state, the state requires that the installer of any solar power system that is going to connect to the power grid must hold a separate solar installer license. This is a major factor in why grid-connected net-metering systems are so much more expensive as compared to off-grid battery systems.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Working...
                              X