X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robstrash
    • Aug 2019

Originally posted by foo1bar
    If the POCO and building inspector signed off before Dec. 31, 2019, IMO that's likely sufficient to convince someone that it was in service in 2019.
    Even if those final items weren't done at that point, but everything was hooked up and running, you could probably make the argument that installation had been completed and it had been put into service.​​​​​​
    The electrical and building inspector both signed off today with no issues and inverter is set up and seeing all 30 panels. He set it back to standby mode so we'll wait for township to send the paperwork over for the SREC's and then to have JCP&L come out and replace the meter. Hopefully will have it done by the end of the month but I'm not holding my breath. I'll definitely read through the IRS publication and work with tax person on the details but will try for 2019 credit (no need to wait a year for almost $9k).

Do they need to turn the power off to change the power meter? I work at home so will need to plan if that's the case since can't be in a meeting or doing anything on the internet if they turn off power for a bit. Too bad I have no way of knowing when they'll come.

The installer today has been having lots of issues with people getting owner rights in SolarEdge and then finding ways in and screwing up their inverters so he was very hesitant to grant me the owner/admin access. I didn't want to push it today so just let it be. He was wondering why everyone wanted it and asked how much better using a 3rd party tool was instead of using the SolarEdge app. Since I've done neither I couldn't say but thought I'd ask here. I guess the main thing is to use pvoutput but that only really allows you to share you data with the public (not sure I want to do that anyway). Having worked in support for 25+ years, I understand his point because he keeps getting calls as people expect them to help with it while I completely understand that 3rd party means exactly that and that they should not be providing any support for it at all. I was just wondering how much better 3rd party tools/apps are than the SolarEdge app. If it's really better, I'd like to show the installer so he could see.

Thanks again for everyone's help, almost there!

Comment

• NJturtlePower
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by robstrash

Do they need to turn the power off to change the power meter? I work at home so will need to plan if that's the case since can't be in a meeting or doing anything on the internet if they turn off power for a bit. Too bad I have no way of knowing when they'll come.

The installer today has been having lots of issues with people getting owner rights in SolarEdge and then finding ways in and screwing up their inverters so he was very hesitant to grant me the owner/admin access. I didn't want to push it today so just let it be. He was wondering why everyone wanted it and asked how much better using a 3rd party tool was instead of using the SolarEdge app. Since I've done neither I couldn't say but thought I'd ask here. I guess the main thing is to use pvoutput but that only really allows you to share you data with the public (not sure I want to do that anyway). Having worked in support for 25+ years, I understand his point because he keeps getting calls as people expect them to help with it while I completely understand that 3rd party means exactly that and that they should not be providing any support for it at all. I was just wondering how much better 3rd party tools/apps are than the SolarEdge app. If it's really better, I'd like to show the installer so he could see.

They SHOULD be able to jumper the panel during the meter swap to avoid any surges or power loss which is what they did for me....Getting site errors trying to upload the pix, so....

See my Post Here: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...404#post404404

About the owner/admin rights....kinda a two part push for me. First being, I AM the owner, and the paying customer of GPE, so if I request access it should be given. That said, I also feel it's fair IF GPE charged for any service calls due to misuse or abuse of said access causing issues. Personally I don't plan on messing with any setting I don't fully understand. There seems to be a few level of granted access available between basic guest and admin/site owner, because I went back and forth with GPE a few times until they got it right. Basically if you log into the SE portal and don't see an "Admin" gear icon across the top, you don't have full owner access.

FYI if all you want is an API Access key to port over data on PVOutput you can actually just request it from SE via online chat with your site ID even with the default GPE access...if you get your full access you can manage API keys yourself under the Admin>Site Access tab.

And as far as 3rd party sites, IMO the PVOutput site has far more capacity and data tools than the SE Portal and I appreciate the combination of both along with the PVOututPro App on my phone. I don't mind sharing and comparing local systems on PVO as much as I enjoy all the data tools and reports I can play with for my own needs.
      Last edited by NJturtlePower; 01-05-2020, 05:57 PM.
      12.35 kW - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

Comment

• sunpoweredev
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

The electrical and building inspector both signed off today with no issues and inverter is set up and seeing all 30 panels. He set it back to standby mode so we'll wait for township to send the paperwork over for the SREC's and then to have JCP&L come out and replace the meter. Hopefully will have it done by the end of the month but I'm not holding my breath. I'll definitely read through the IRS publication and work with tax person on the details but will try for 2019 credit (no need to wait a year for almost $9k).

It was a total surprise to me when JCP&L replaced my meter. When I rolled out the garage can one morning, there it was, the new meter. There was no loss of power. I went through my security footage for the day and day before and did not see them at all IIRC they came within a week of my PTO issuance.

Yeah I went back and forth a few times myself regarding admin access. What I really wanted to to be able to see the virtual LCD panel, but I've since learned that it's not possible even with admin access. I can at least view the inverter error logs, which mine was in an error state for over a week because 4 of my panels were covered in snow and was reading 0 for a few days. Regardless, the point is, you own the system and should have full owner/admin privilege.

Next item is to get them to install your critter guard. I would send your salesman an email in case they forgot about it like it was in my case.
        https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

• JSchnee21
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2017

Same. No loss of power when JCP&L replaced my meter. Didn't even know they did it until I noticed the new meter outside. I have SE owner rights (from GPE). I'm not able to make any system configuration changes though I have the older non-SetApp inverter if that matters. 2nd on PVOutput.

PVOutput.org - share, compare and monitor live solar photovoltaic output data

Comment

• robstrash
            • Aug 2019

So waited almost 2 weeks after inspection and did not hear anything (inspection was on Friday 03 Jan). I had to stop by the township office for something else so asked and they said they faxed over the approved permit back on Monday 06 Jan. They gave me a copy which was good as GPE said they never received the fax so I scanned it in and emailed it over and then was able to sign off on the online forms that afternoon for interconnection agreement. Today I got an email that my electric provider (JCP&L) approved and that the inverter was turned on!! I ran out to see if the meter had been changed and it wasn't so I called up GPE and turns out for JCP&L they replace the meter after they turn it on (the other NJ provider, PGE does it before). I then got an email for SoloarEdge and have created my online account. I see that today I've produced 27.12 kWh already which is nice. I then used the SolarEdge app and signed into my account. I never did use the SetApp app so not sure if I need that one now.

JCP&L will come and change the meter out int the next 2 weeks and they are working on my SREC info. I can schedule a session with GPE to review things and critter guard installers should be contacting me soon for that installation. What do I need to do if I want to use the pvoutput? Anything else that I need to do that anyone can think of?

I did notice that the SolarEdge app says my "Installed" date is 03 Jan 2020 because that's when they did the inspection and turned on the internet connection but as we discussed, the install was actually finished on 18 Dec 2019 so I'll get with tax person next month to see what they say.

It's nice to be finally connected and on a sunny day to boot!

Rob

Comment

• NJturtlePower
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2019

So waited almost 2 weeks after inspection and did not hear anything (inspection was on Friday 03 Jan). I had to stop by the township office for something else so asked and they said they faxed over the approved permit back on Monday 06 Jan. They gave me a copy which was good as GPE said they never received the fax so I scanned it in and emailed it over and then was able to sign off on the online forms that afternoon for interconnection agreement. Today I got an email that my electric provider (JCP&L) approved and that the inverter was turned on!! I ran out to see if the meter had been changed and it wasn't so I called up GPE and turns out for JCP&L they replace the meter after they turn it on (the other NJ provider, PGE does it before). I then got an email for SoloarEdge and have created my online account. I see that today I've produced 27.12 kWh already which is nice. I then used the SolarEdge app and signed into my account. I never did use the SetApp app so not sure if I need that one now.

JCP&L will come and change the meter out int the next 2 weeks and they are working on my SREC info. I can schedule a session with GPE to review things and critter guard installers should be contacting me soon for that installation. What do I need to do if I want to use the pvoutput? Anything else that I need to do that anyone can think of?

I did notice that the SolarEdge app says my "Installed" date is 03 Jan 2020 because that's when they did the inspection and turned on the internet connection but as we discussed, the install was actually finished on 18 Dec 2019 so I'll get with tax person next month to see what they say.

Rob
              Well first off congrats Rob! Too bad you had to do some of the leg work, but you know... as they say if you want to get it done right...

Yes, my system was turned on by GPE remotely and a day and a half later I caught JCP&L doing the meter swap...as we talked about they jumper-ed the house, no loss of power etc. They won't call or anything, so if your not home you just see the new meter soon.

And yes, a great solar day to start!!! I'm at just over 40kWh today as we speak...best day in about 3-months.

PVO2.jpg

On the SolarEdge Dashboard after you sign in you'll see your Site ID on the right under you system details. You'll want to start an online chat with SE and ask for an API Key for your system...this is what you'll plug in on PVOutput to mirror all your inverter data over there. When entering all your system details you'll find an "Auto Uploads" section in the "Edit System" link to plug in the API key and Site ID info. Shown Below*

That's it, the data will populate every 15min. You can always go back and input all the little details, monthly estimates, notification settings or any of that later... Post up any sections you have questions on, I can screenshot mine for reference as needed.

PVO.jpg
              Last edited by NJturtlePower; 01-20-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• sunpoweredev
                Solar Fanatic
                • Mar 2019

Rob
                Congrats! Not sure when you formally gave GPE the go ahead on your project, some time in September is my guess? Completing the installation in ~3 months this time of the year with the year end rush I'd say wasn't bad at all.
                https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=69875

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

I am not a tax guy but I think based on the difference in tax credits and the present value of a credit that it would be worth it to me to be aggressive in taking the credit. From what you are telling me it was complete in 2019 but just didnt have regulatory approvals.

If it were me I would tell my tax guy it was completed in 2019. If you feel you need to ask him something, I would frame it as, "Is there any reason I can't take the credit in 2019?"

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• robstrash
                    • Aug 2019

Not sure how to get online chat on SolarEdge as I have no options on their page. I did click help and download their API guide which says I should go to this site but it comes up with an error. I then found the support@solaredge.com email so I just sent an email there. Since GPE did not give me admin rights do I have less choices than you in my SolarEdge dashboard? My dashboard only let's me change the time period, go to basic settings (C/F and imperial), log out, then help on the side that only has 20 or so choices.

JCP&L came today and changed the meter. Guy said that there was a jumper missing (or something like that, my dog was barking) so power went out for 1 second but all my computer stuff is on UPS so it wasn't an issue. I was hoping to see the meter go negative but it kept going to 1 then back to 0 but never negative

Comment

• NJturtlePower
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2019

Not sure how to get online chat on SolarEdge as I have no options on their page. I did click help and download their API guide which says I should go to this site but it comes up with an error. I then found the support@solaredge.com email so I just sent an email there. Since GPE did not give me admin rights do I have less choices than you in my SolarEdge dashboard? My dashboard only let's me change the time period, go to basic settings (C/F and imperial), log out, then help on the side that only has 20 or so choices.

JCP&L came today and changed the meter. Guy said that there was a jumper missing (or something like that, my dog was barking) so power went out for 1 second but all my computer stuff is on UPS so it wasn't an issue. I was hoping to see the meter go negative but it kept going to 1 then back to 0 but never negative
                      Yes, you'll have less icons on top of your SE Dashboard, I don't remember which ones exactly are missing, but the one you need is "Admin" to access the API Key on your own without SE support.

SE1.jpg
                      To get to SE Chat go here: https://www.solaredge.com/us/service/support
                      Click the System Owner button and it should prompt you to login.
                      Once logged in you'll be in the Owner Support "Knowledge Base" where at the bottom right you'll see the red talking bubble box to open an online chat session.

SE2.jpgYour name and email should populate and you just need to enter your Site ID from the SE Dashboard page as shown above.
                      This is how I initially requested my API Key while going back and forth with GPE to get full owner access rights.
                      My contact for this SE access at GPE was Christine @ cschneider@greenpowerenergy.com
                      If and when GPE updates your access you'll get an email directly from SE stating, "Your SolarEdge monitoring role & permissions are updated"
                      What you need and want is this, copy and paste from my saved email, "User role: Full access - The user is a site owner"
                      Good Luck!

Comment

• solarix
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2015

Personally, I complain about putting any kind of electronics on a roof. The reliability risk is not worth all the dubious advantages these systems claim. The only reason these systems have become so commonplace is because the Rapid Shutdown rule in the new codes require the modules to be individually shutdown in emergencies. This is just regulatory horse pucky (imho) fostered by these same companies to advantage their products. For the dubious advantage of negligible fire safety, we now have to add a substantial increase in the cost to the customer at the same time greatly reducing the reliability and serviceability of a rooftop solar system. I guarantee you some one (not me) is going to have to come out and replace these under array modules one at a time as they fail way sooner than the 25 year warranty that they sell them with.
                        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• robstrash
                          • Aug 2019

Well, not good news. It was a crazy busy morning as I had to drive down to the work office 45 minutes away (normally work at home) but it was nice and sunny so I was surprised when I saw 0 reading in the app this morning around 8am. My wifi downstairs has been flaky (fixing this weekend) so I rebooted that device thinking that was it but still nothing when I got to work. Anyway, get back around 1pm today and look at the inverter and the red and blue lights (top and bottom) are on solid and the middle green light is blinking so that's why it's a reading of 0, something is not working! I called up GPE and they hope to have someone out today to look at it. It's not a good feeling to have it break on the 4th day of operation. Worse yet, it's a beautiful sunny day and panels aren't working

I did finally get my pvoutput set up today but it's blank since hasn't gotten any data yet. Will post it once things are working.

I guess I'll want to set up some kind of system that will alert me for these types of problems in the future. I guess the issue is that I would get alerts on cloudy days if there is no sun so will have to figure something out once we get everything back online. My SE dashboard looks way simpler than yours as I only have "Dashboard". I think I'll need to get admin access once this is set up. What options do you have under "Alerts"?

se_dashboard.JPG

I've bookmarked the support page so thanks for that.

Rob

Comment

• NJturtlePower
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2019

Well, not good news. It was a crazy busy morning as I had to drive down to the work office 45 minutes away (normally work at home) but it was nice and sunny so I was surprised when I saw 0 reading in the app this morning around 8am. My wifi downstairs has been flaky (fixing this weekend) so I rebooted that device thinking that was it but still nothing when I got to work. Anyway, get back around 1pm today and look at the inverter and the red and blue lights (top and bottom) are on solid and the middle green light is blinking so that's why it's a reading of 0, something is not working! I called up GPE and they hope to have someone out today to look at it. It's not a good feeling to have it break on the 4th day of operation. Worse yet, it's a beautiful sunny day and panels aren't working

I did finally get my pvoutput set up today but it's blank since hasn't gotten any data yet. Will post it once things are working.

I guess I'll want to set up some kind of system that will alert me for these types of problems in the future. I guess the issue is that I would get alerts on cloudy days if there is no sun so will have to figure something out once we get everything back online. My SE dashboard looks way simpler than yours as I only have "Dashboard". I think I'll need to get admin access once this is set up. What options do you have under "Alerts"?

se_dashboard.JPG

I've bookmarked the support page so thanks for that.

Rob
                            Did GPE hook up your inverter via cellular or Ethernet? Your WiFi should have nothing to do with it....

Did you try a basic shutdown and restart? 1) Inverter Switch - 2) Inverter Disconnect - 3) Line Disconnect then back on in reverse order? I'm sure GPE will show you this....it's part of their follow-up meeting packet of info.

IMO you'll want to run an Ethernet line from the router/switch to the inverter for stable reliable data. I told GPE not to even install the cellular unit. Drilled a hole through my 1st floor where the router is, ran a CAT6A cable through the floor into the basement where I have a 8-port Switch.

You're in luck with PVOutput...there is an "Idle System Alert" feature... it's right above the Auto Uploads section in your settings. Mine is set to 60-min and has alerted me a few times already.

In my experience any time I've lost power for more than a few minutes the inverter isn't happy about it wand will throw a Red light error. I've been able to do the shutdown and restart listed above in these case and successful every attempt. Even on cloudy days you'll get way more than 0 output, surprisingly more in most cases....it's reporting on input of ALL data regardless of what the values are, exactly what you want to tell you it's not up and running.

PVO1.jpg

The SolarEdge Portal the Alerts tab only displays faults or errors on you system, both open and resolved, which in this case might tell you right now to see what your system issue is, but there is no ability to configure a user notification...at least not that I know of.

SE1.jpg

Comment

• robstrash
                              • Aug 2019

Heard back from GPE and they can't get someone out until Wednesday afternoon He said that when inverters do fail it's often right near the beginning so they'll need to come take it apart and look at the system board (or something similar) to see if I need a new inverter. They did not say anything about having me reset it so I'm thinking I should just wait for Wednesday but not sure.

I do have the ethernet hooked up but it's connected to a wireless bridge as I don't have any network cables on the far side of my garage and didn't want to run a 100ft over the ceiling. It should work fine except the wifi router I'm using downstairs is flaky and I have a replacement coming this evening so will get it set up this weekend. I've been in IT for 25 years so I know just enough about networking to be dangerous

I'll play around with the pvoutput this weekend when I get some free time. Thanks again for all the help and let's hope it's not too sunny the next 5 days

Comment

• NJturtlePower
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Apr 2019

Heard back from GPE and they can't get someone out until Wednesday afternoon He said that when inverters do fail it's often right near the beginning so they'll need to come take it apart and look at the system board (or something similar) to see if I need a new inverter. They did not say anything about having me reset it so I'm thinking I should just wait for Wednesday but not sure.

I do have the ethernet hooked up but it's connected to a wireless bridge as I don't have any network cables on the far side of my garage and didn't want to run a 100ft over the ceiling. It should work fine except the wifi router I'm using downstairs is flaky and I have a replacement coming this evening so will get it set up this weekend. I've been in IT for 25 years so I know just enough about networking to be dangerous

I'll play around with the pvoutput this weekend when I get some free time. Thanks again for all the help and let's hope it's not too sunny the next 5 days
                                That stinks about the issues and the service delay Rob....on the bright side we had a wash out Saturday and mostly cloudy forecast everyday this week so far.

I'm sure GPE is seeing something more serious than a minor error on their end based on their response. Still gets me that expensive electronics like this are so prone to early failure like this....heard many reports much like yours and same explanation from contractors

I'll be waiting to hear the outcome...hopefully quick and painless!
                                Last edited by NJturtlePower; 01-27-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...