Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC disconnect and correct wiring for Micro inverter

We are installing our first system using M215 Enphase micronverters
    the 6 strings will go to 4 junction boxes on 4 roofs and go to a combiner box and to the main service panel

I was told by AC disconnect is not required by a solar material dealer and confirmed it with enphase,
    I keep seeing AC disconnect on microinverter install and Solar warning labels made for that ... make me question that again

so can you guys please confirm if I do not need AC disconnect for the M215 install?

2nd question, if I dont need an AC disconnect... Can I connect the string directly to the main service panel with a 20amp fuse?
    I have 2 x200 amp service panels with many empty spots

3rd question does NY - PSEG (my electric company) inspect my system before allowing me turning it on?

Anyone know which lables I need and where for such an install?

I was required a disconnect in Michigan on my microinverter install and our power company did come out to inspect through they only went to where the meter and disconnect were located and didn't look at the array. The city looked at the array and outside breaker panel and disconnect. but not inside the house connection.

So mine has 24 panel that go into 2 strings 12 awg. They are tied to a breaker panel at the array to protect each string with a breaker. Then the small sub breaker panel is wired 10 awg to the disconnect at the meter and then run back to a 30 amp breaker in my main panel.

Good Luck with your install....

Comment

So I guess I have to call PSEG - Long island and ask them if they require the AC disconnect despite not being required by NEC and code.

Comment

Doctorman: What others may tell you is nice, but unauthoritative and perhaps uninformed and misleading. Get the information from the source. CALL THE POCO. What's the problem with a phone call ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
          Doctorman: What others may tell you is nice, but unauthoritative and perhaps uninformed and misleading. Get the information from the source. CALL THE POCO. What's the problem with a phone call ?
          true , called but they could not answer, only by email and that takes a while

Comment

Originally posted by doctorman View Post

true , called but they could not answer, only by email and that takes a while
            Bureaucrats who could be replaced by paper clips making life easier for themselves.

NOMB, but I've found the squeaky wheel gets the grease. That and a friendly request for help. Apply, iterate, repeat and climb the chain of command as necessary until a result (an answer) is obtained. The goal is an answer, not an ego boost.

In such situations, I keep calling, or keep it in my pants. Sometimes I can't get everything immediately, but I've learned nothing can replace persistence.

To repeat: Get the information from the source. All else is hearsay. Give the other stuff credence at your peril.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

in email the electric company confirmed no need for AC disconnect for systems under 25KW
              but they recommend it

another question, is there a requirement for a combiner box then , I have 6 strings
              if there is no need for AC disconnect then I can go directly to the main panel then and connet the 6 strongs to 20 amps breakers and a 10amp breaker for the envoy.
              correct?

Comment

What size array are you installing? 6 strings seems like a lot for a microinverter system unless it's quite large.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben25 View Post
                  What size array are you installing? 6 strings seems like a lot for a microinverter system unless it's quite large.
                  80 panels at around 210W

Comment

Ahh, so quite large. Is the POCO requiring any production meter outside? Also, if it's on a roof, it needs to be rapid shutdown compliant with a disconnect that initiates the rapid shutdown in an accessible exterior location. (NEC 2017 if you're on that)
                    i would lean towards installing one...

80 panels at around 210W

Comment

another question, is there a requirement for a combiner box then , I have 6 strings
                      if there is no need for AC disconnect then I can go directly to the main panel then and connet the 6 strongs to 20 amps breakers and a 10amp breaker for the envoy.
                      correct?
                      Check with your local building department, but it may depend on the amperage of your strings. You said "breakers" but didn't say how many. If less than 6 you will need a combiner box because NEC prohibits splices within a service panel.
                      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ben25 View Post
                        Ahh, so quite large. Is the POCO requiring any production meter outside? Also, if it's on a roof, it needs to be rapid shutdown compliant with a disconnect that initiates the rapid shutdown in an accessible exterior location. (NEC 2017 if you're on that)
                        i would lean towards installing one...

My plans do not specify production meter and the POCO did not mention anything.
                        my envoy S will measure the production on the inside
                        Rapid shut down should be satisfied with microinverters themselves , to my understanding no other device required

Comment

I am using M215 and my longest string is 15 panels long
                          6 strings ,
                          they will come inside the house in conduit with #10 THWN-2 wire , iside the house there will be no conduit and run them inside the wall to the service panel,
                          each array will be connected to it is own breaker at 20 amp, total of 6 breakers
                          1 extra 10 amp breaker for the envoy S with consumption meter rings

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

Check with your local building department, but it may depend on the amperage of your strings. You said "breakers" but didn't say how many. If less than 6 you will need a combiner box because NEC prohibits splices within a service panel.

Comment

I think THWN is required to be in conduit the whole way...even inside the house. NEC requirement.

How long are your runs? Could you put in a sub panel and do one run of larger Romex to the main box so you don't have to do 6 small runs in conduit?

Romex isn't required to be in conduit.
                            Last edited by NewBostonConst; 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewBostonConst View Post
                              I think THWN is required to be in conduit the whole way...even inside the house. NEC requirement.

How long are your runs? Could you put in a sub panel and do one run of larger Romex to the main box so you don't have to do 6 small runs in conduit?

Romex isn't required to be in conduit.
                              You would also need to de-rate the amp capacity of those 12 cables (6 cable runs) if they are all in the same conduit.

Comment

Working...
                              X