X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by arf88

That's interesting, so I have a 25 year warranty on the inverter even though the factory covers 10 years. Is 5.7kw the aggregate for the se6000h or per string. I'll have to review the datasheet again but I don't remember off my head. If I call the installer to rewire it for two 9 panel strings I have to have a compelling reason because I'm sure they will argue against it. But the mere fact it limits production on cold days is enough for me to say something.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    If you have 18 panasonic 330w modules then 18 X 330w = 5,940w = 5.94kw

BTW solaredge comes with 12 year factory warranty not 10, which yu can extend to 20 or 25 years for small fee.
    5.7kw is the max string size allowed on the 6kw hdwave and larger inverters.
    you can see it on the bottom of this sheet.
    the main reason to rewire to two strings is tor not void the warranty

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

What am I missing I looked at the datasheet on the phone and Max DC input is 9.2kw for the se6000h
      ythat is not max DC inout but max solar size. If it is not all facing the same dircton it would not clip but all in the same dircton it would clip, as th inverter can not do more than 6kw. If yiu go higher the warranty would be voided

Comment

• arf88
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2017

Thanks again, I was looking in the inverter datasheet, wonder why they didn't put it in there. I'm going to email the installer and let them know. In terms of output on a cloudy day wouldnt the string limit be more of a problem on a sunny day when it reaches that limit? Just trying to understand how it affects cloudy day production.

Thanks

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

In terms of output on a cloudy day wouldnt the string limit be more of a problem on a sunny day when it reaches that limit?

Thanks
          It does not matter on a cloudy day.

on a hot sunhy day the heat effectes production reducing the total producton. On a cold, clear windy day, production is at its highest.

the optimizers have buck / boost built in so they can keep the voltage in the operating rand as long as there are enough of the optimizers to get the voltage into the operating range of the inverter.

Comment

• arf88
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2017

Makes sense, I just have a feeling if I ask them to rewire it based on the specs there will be resistance. Since the update the peak I've seen after I got on the roof and cleaned the panels was 5.6kw so im just shy of the string limit which is likely the argument they will use. I'm trying to bolster my argument but the owner can be challenging to convince although after multiple screen shots of the clipping he agreed right after the initial install.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Makes sense, I just have a feeling if I ask them to rewire it based on the specs there will be resistance. Since the update the peak I've seen after I got on the roof and cleaned the panels was 5.6kw so im just shy of the string limit which is likely the argument they will use. I'm trying to bolster my argument but the owner can be challenging to convince although after multiple screen shots of the clipping he agreed right after the initial install.
              No you are way over the string limit. The limit is on the amount of solar installed not the actuall DC output. On a cold day the wattage is going to go up and yu could frie something. You are already voiding yur warranty.

Comment

• arf88
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2017

Wow you are right I didn't even think about the 8 per string limit. Thanks that should be justification enough. Sadly for the past few months who know what kind of damage and deterioration has occurred already. Hopefully nothing

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                  This does not really apply to solaredge optimized systems
                  You're right; I missed that in his initial post.

Comment

• arf88
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2017

No you are way over the string limit. The limit is on the amount of solar installed not the actuall DC output. On a cold day the wattage is going to go up and yu could frie something. You are already voiding yur warranty.
                    Ok, i'm finally on a computer now. I can see the datasheet easier and I see this below. I panicked on the phone when i thought 8 was the limit. 8 is the minimum string length. So with that said, when you state I'm over the string limit can you clarify further so i can make sure I understand.

Minimum String Length
                    (Power Optimizers)
                    P320, P370, P400

Maximum String Length
                    (Power Optimizers)

Maximum Power per String
                    5700 (6000 with
                    SE7600H-US,
                    SE10000H-US

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Ok, i'm finally on a computer now. I can see the datasheet easier and I see this below. I panicked on the phone when i thought 8 was the limit. 8 is the minimum string length. So with that said, when you state I'm over the string limit can you clarify further so i can make sure I understand.

Maximum Power per String
                      5700 (6000 with
                      SE7600H-US,
                      SE10000H-US
                      This last part. You have an SE6000h so your max string STC wattage is 5700w but you have more on a string than that.

Comment

• arf88
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2017

This last part. You have an SE6000h so your max string STC wattage is 5700w but you have more on a string than that.
                        Even if the system has never reached the 5.7W peak output you are saying this is still a problem correct?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Even if the system has never reached the 5.7W peak output you are saying this is still a problem correct?
                          It doesnt matter if it ever ever ever ever reaches that wattage. It was installed incorrectly with a string that has too much wattage ( potential, stc, solar, whatever) on it.

Comment

• jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

It doesnt matter if it ever ever ever ever reaches that wattage. It was installed incorrectly with a string that has too much wattage ( potential, stc, solar, whatever) on it.
                            What will happen to the system if a string with too much wattage is installed, as in this case? Will it limit to the ratings of that string of the inverter, or will there be damage?

Comment

• arf88
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2017

Got it, i sent the installer an email asking them to re-wire it. I hope i don't get resistance to this but will let you know what they say.

Comment

• arf88
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by jflorey2
                                What will happen to the system if a string with too much wattage is installed, as in this case? Will it limit to the ratings of that string of the inverter, or will there be damage?
                                Great question, wouldn't the fail safe inside the inverter prevent damage? I assume clipping here would not apply b/c it is post input from the PV system.

Comment

Working...