Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

String inverter - one array vs multiple arrays (pros vs cons)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String inverter - one array vs multiple arrays (pros vs cons)

Hoping to get some feedback on the pros and cons of these configurations.

I have 16 panels all on the same roof, no shade issues at all. Initially when the string inverter was installed and configured I noticed via the portal there were two arrays 1-8 and 8-16. The inverter was upgraded to the highest model possible b/c the panels were actually so efficient they exceeded the MFG (Solar Edge) AC output recommendation.

The inverter was replaced with the highest AC output model possible, all is good, except this time around I noticed that it is just a single array of 1-16 panels.

I can understand the benefits of multiple arrays when there might be shade issues, different roof locations, etc. But is there any cons with having all your panels on a single array? The installer this time was different than the original, so I assume they have their preference.

Originally posted by arf88 View Post
    But is there any cons with having all your panels on a single array?
    As long as there are no shading issues, and all are pointed the same direction - no. In general panel strings are designed to hit a voltage range. Going to the larger inverter may have necessitated a higher minimum voltage for the array, which would in turn lead to longer strings.

Comment

You are reffering to them as arrays but it is really strings.
      in yur case you have optimizers. It doesnt make any since to say they upgraded the inverter to the highest possible with solaredge optimized systems which is very unlikely,

Solardge has a minimum recomended string length of 8 modules.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
        As long as there are no shading issues, and all are pointed the same direction - no. In general panel strings are designed to hit a voltage range. Going to the larger inverter may have necessitated a higher minimum voltage for the array, which would in turn lead to longer strings.
        Thanks that is good to hear. Yes they are all pointed in the same direction. Interesting, I just figured the installer was lazy in the way he wired the new inverter. That makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
          You are reffering to them as arrays but it is really strings.
          in yur case you have optimizers. It doesnt make any since to say they upgraded the inverter to the highest possible with solaredge optimized systems which is very unlikely,

Solardge has a minimum recomended string length of 8 modules.
          I've heard it referenced both ways but let's stick with strings if that is the proper terminology. Yes all the panels have optimizers. I know what I have and I know what was upgraded. The inverter was upgraded to the next model up which is the biggest of the HD model for the AC output since my panels were hitting the limit on the first inverter. It was not only a surprise to the installer but also SolarEdge as well. I'm guessing those recommended inverters are based on less efficient panels which is what solaredge and my installer agreed was based on. That said with the new model I'm able to reach the peaks with a little room to spare on the sunny days. My main concern was the orientation of the string 8 vs 16.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
            This does not really apply to solaredge optimized systems

Comment

I've heard it referenced both ways but let's stick with strings if that is the proper terminology. Yes all the panels have optimizers. I know what I have and I know what was upgraded. The inverter was upgraded to the next model up which is the biggest of the HD model for the AC output since my panels were hitting the limit on the first inverter. It was not only a surprise to the installer but also SolarEdge as well. I'm guessing those recommended inverters are based on less efficient panels which is what solaredge and my installer agreed was based on. That said with the new model I'm able to reach the peaks with a little room to spare on the sunny days. My main concern was the orientation of the string 8 vs 16.
              An array is very different from a string...

much of what you state doesnt make since, The largest HDwave is 10kw, which is way too big for a 16 module array.

efficiency of the pv modules isnt going to make a damn difference in production or output, just the wattage rateing.

Solaredge would have no idea of the likelyhood of clipping, the installer does that modeling. Solaredge has a tool for string sizing but it does not do anything more than what is allowed under warrant and can and does result in clipping, A modeling tool should be used to design the system and that is all installer. Many installers bring poor techniques with them from string modeling to solaredge, which often results in clipping.

The sizes are strictly based in wattage and again have nothing to do with efficiency of the ov modules.

Comment

This does not really apply to solaredge optimized systems
                So in reference to my question does it matter two 8 strings vs single 16 string?

I just checked the SE website a d it looks like within the last few months they released two new inverters, at the time mine was upgraded after I noticed it was reaching the cap the next size up was the biggest but now they added 2 more new ones.

Comment

So in reference to my question does it matter two 8 strings vs single 16 string?

I just checked the SE website a d it looks like within the last few months they released two new inverters, at the time mine was upgraded after I noticed it was reaching the cap the next size up was the biggest but now they added 2 more new ones.
                  What size pv modules do you have?
                  What optimizers do you have?

the 7.6kw was released quite some time ago. The 10kw more recently
                  what size is your inverter?

Comment

An array is very different from a string...

much of what you state doesnt make since, The largest HDwave is 10kw, which is way too big for a 16 module array.

efficiency of the pv modules isnt going to make a damn difference in production or output, just the wattage rateing.

Solaredge would have no idea of the likelyhood of clipping, the installer does that modeling. Solaredge has a tool for string sizing but it does not do anything more than what is allowed under warrant and can and does result in clipping, A modeling tool should be used to design the system and that is all installer. Many installers bring poor techniques with them from string modeling to solaredge, which often results in clipping.

The sizes are strictly based in wattage and again have nothing to do with efficiency of the ov modules.
                    You posted while I was composing on the phone. At the time a few months ago the 6000 model was the biggest you can get. I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not saying the size of the inverter has anything to do with the PV output. I simply stated when I was monitoring my system daily I noticed the peak AC output was being hit on the 5K model which I had for a few weeks before it was upgraded. The PV system at any given time, ideally peak was not being reached it was cut off due to the limit of the inverter. With the upgraded inverter this is no longer an issue. I was just curious about the orientation of the string.

Comment

What size pv modules do you have?
                      What optimizers do you have?

the 7.6kw was released quite some time ago. The 10kw more recently
                      what size is your inverter?
                      I have the datasheet from earlier this year Jan time frame and the 6k model was the highest at that time.

I have SE optimizers of course.

Back to my question does it make a difference in the orientation of the string?

Comment

You posted while I was composing on the phone. At the time a few months ago the 6000 model was the biggest you can get. I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not saying the size of the inverter has anything to do with the PV output. I simply stated when I was monitoring my system daily I noticed the peak AC output was being hit on the 5K model which I had for a few weeks before it was upgraded. The PV system at any given time, ideally peak was not being reached it was cut off due to the limit of the inverter. With the upgraded inverter this is no longer an issue. I was just curious about the orientation of the string.
                        Nope the 7.6 has been available all year.
                        So you had the SE5000h and they swapped it for the SE6000h?
                        What you are talking about is called inverter clipping.
                        So what size pv modules do you have?
                        what model optimizer?

there ar limits to the wattage of any string, as well as min and max number of pv modules/optimizers which varies based on some models of optimizers.

Comment

Inverter is 6K model with a max output of 6kW AC. My system generates 5.6 on peak which this inverter handles fine.

Comment

I have SE optimizers of course.

Back to my question does it make a difference in the orientation of the string?

Solaredge inverters only work with solaredge optimizers. They have different models thouh, which model optimizers do you have and which pv modules do you have?

Comment

Nope the 7.6 has been available all year.
                              So you had the SE5000h and they swapped it for the SE6000h?
                              What you are talking about is called inverter clipping.
                              So what size pv modules do you have?
                              what model optimizer?

there ar limits to the wattage of any string, as well as min and max number of pv modules/optimizers which varies based on some models of optimizers.
                              I can show you the datasheet when I get home. The 7.6 was not even listed on the SE website. None the less it doesn't matter at this point the 6k for my system is perfect size.

I don't think clipping is the problem, the issue was the max AC output of the 5k inverter being limited to 5kW max. If inverter clipping was the issue it would have never reached the peak AC output. Issue wasn't DC it was the output.

That said the SE Optimizers and 5.9kw pv

Comment

Working...
                              X