X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by arf88
    Inverter is 6K model with a max output of 6kW AC. My system generates 5.6 on peak which this inverter handles fine.
    Ok so you have 350w pv modules

which model of solardge optimizers. You can get in install report from solardge monitoring web site to find out.

Also it is not 5.6kW peak but 5.6kW STC ( standard test conditions). It can produce more than 5.6kW, on cold clear windy days.

not knowing the optimizer model, it should make little difference between two strings of 8 or one of 16. Few installers would have done two strings on this setup.
    The 5kw inverter would clearly clip some on a 5.6kw array on a single azimuth.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• arf88
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2017

Sorry seems like I'm always one post behind on the phone.

Panasonic HIT and P400 optimizer from SE

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

I don't think clipping is the problem, the issue was the max AC output of the 5k inverter being limited to 5kW max. If inverter clipping was the issue it would have never reached the peak AC output. Issue wasn't DC it was the output.

That said the SE Optimizers and 5.9kw pv
        Ok that is a tually the deffinition of clipping. An array with an inverter sized such that it clipps the output if the array. Clipping happens at the inverter, you seem to think it is on the DC side of things which is not correct.

also you should find out your optimizer model. It is likely the p400 optimizer,

Comment

• arf88
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Ok so you have 350w pv modules

which model of solardge optimizers. You can get in install report from solardge monitoring web site to find out.

Also it is not 5.6kW peak but 5.6kW STC ( standard test conditions). It can produce more than 5.6kW, on cold clear windy days.

not knowing the optimizer model, it should make little difference between two strings of 8 or one of 16. Few installers would have done two strings on this setup.
          The 5kw inverter would clearly clip some on a 5.6kw array on a single azimuth.
          What a bone head I have 18 panels not 16 and it's the 330w model with P400 optimizers.

Ok so is my assertion correct regarding the clipping.

What has be befuddled is why the first installer setup two strings with 9 panels and this last one one with 18. Based on. What you are saying it does not matter but I had to check with the experts

Comment

• arf88
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2017

Ok that is a tually the deffinition of clipping. An array with an inverter sized such that it clipps the output if the array. Clipping happens at the inverter, you seem to think it is on the DC side of things which is not correct.

also you should find out your optimizer model. It is likely the p400 optimizer,
            You sure about that? https://pvpmc.sandia.gov/modeling-st...er-saturation/

I have the P400 I stated that a few times already.

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Sorry seems like I'm always one post behind on the phone.

Panasonic HIT and P400 optimizer from SE
              Wait, you have panasonic Hit modules? What size?
              You said your system is 16 pv modules and 5.6kW which means each pv module is 350w. That is not a common panasonic size.
              a 330w one is the most recent. Which would make your system 5.28kW

the p400 is the right optimizer for the panasonics.

seems your installer did something right, with the SE5000h it would have been correct to have two strings.
              with the SE6000h (as well as the SE7600h and SE10000h) a single string could be used.

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/defa...tasheet-na.pdf

EDIT: this is before the size changed, two strings of 9 is the only correct option for 18 pv modules of panasonic 330 watt to prevent going over the max wattage limit per string.
              Last edited by ButchDeal; 07-17-2018, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

You sure about that? https://pvpmc.sandia.gov/modeling-st...er-saturation/

I have the P400 I stated that a few times already.
                Yes exactly sure and is exactly what we are talking about.
                if you look at your. Dc current with the SE5000h you would see the DC voltage jumping up to allow the inverter to limit its output to 5kW

Comment

• arf88
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2017

I should clarify I know it occurs at the inverter but the output of the pv wasn't exceeding the inverter input. The max ac output was the limiting factor

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

What a bone head I have 18 panels not 16 and it's the 330w model with P400 optimizers.

Ok so is my assertion correct regarding the clipping.

What has be befuddled is why the first installer setup two strings with 9 panels and this last one one with 18. Based on. What you are saying it does not matter but I had to check with the experts
                    Ok now that makes more since.
                    but 18 X 330 = 5.94kW which is more likely to clip in the 5KW inverter.

however now you have a problem. 5.94kW is OVER 5.7kw which is the max string size allowed for the SE6000h. It should be two strings of 9 each for prvent viding your warranty and limiting oroducton in cold days.

Comment

• arf88
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2017

Yes exactly sure and is exactly what we are talking about.
                      if you look at your. Dc current with the SE5000h you would see the DC voltage jumping up to allow the inverter to limit its output to 5kW
                      Makes sense I don't think I can monitor that from the portal unfortunately, unless I connect a meter and instrument the connection which I didn't bother to.

But that makes sense if that is what is happening. You can view those details from the portal?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

I should clarify I know it occurs at the inverter but the output of the pv wasn't exceeding the inverter input. The max ac output was the limiting factor
                        Clipping means that the array is producing more power than the inverter can convert to AC.

the array input is a warrantly limit in the size of array allowed to be configured, but higher numbers result in clipping....

Comment

• arf88
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2017

Ok now that makes more since.
                          but 18 X 330 = 5.94kW which is more likely to clip in the 5KW inverter.

however now you have a problem. 5.94kW is OVER 5.7kw which is the max string size allowed for the SE6000h. It should be two strings of 9 each for prvent viding your warranty and limiting oroducton in cold days.
                          That's interesting, so I have a 25 year warranty on the inverter even though the factory covers 10 years. Is 5.7kw the aggregate for the se6000h or per string. I'll have to review the datasheet again but I don't remember off my head. If I call the installer to rewire it for two 9 panel strings I have to have a compelling reason because I'm sure they will argue against it. But the mere fact it limits production on cold days is enough for me to say something.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

Makes sense I don't think I can monitor that from the portal unfortunately, unless I connect a meter and instrument the connection which I didn't bother to.

But that makes sense if that is what is happening. You can view those details from the portal?
                            If you have owner acces you sertainly can on the solardge monitoring web site ( not the app it is limited in functon).

Comment

• arf88
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2017

What am I missing I looked at the datasheet on the phone and Max DC input is 9.2kw for the se6000h

Comment

• arf88
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Nov 2017

If you have owner acces you sertainly can on the solardge monitoring web site ( not the app it is limited in functon).
                                I have owner access I'll look at that tonight when. I get home. I'm more concerned about the 5.7kw limit you found

Comment

Working...