grid tie feasibility on small Oklahoma coop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
    You can't easily store the power. (Batteries cost $$$.)

It is very easy to use the power. Going to be over your consumption by 10kwhr that month? Turn on your A/C full blast for a day or so.
    Side note to this, I recently found out and was excited that running my AC didn't take anywhere near what I thought it did. The last 60 days or so my ac had been running keeping my house 68-70 at all times ~2000sf, lennox heat pump and variable speed fan. My cooling system has used 155 kWh total between April 12th and as of this afternoon. That's about $19 total for ac 24/7 at a temp of 68-70. We had days it was upper 90s and lower 100s. The air handler fan is separate but that runs 24/7 and only ramps up for heating or cooling. Getting an egauge was a HUGE eye opener for me regarding my electric usage. I'd recommend one to anyone looking for a usage and production monitor at the circuit/breaker level.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
      You can't easily store the power. (Batteries cost $$$.)

It is very easy to use the power. Going to be over your consumption by 10kwhr that month? Turn on your A/C full blast for a day or so.
      For some reason my last post was blank after I submitted it (twice now from my mobile phone).

Anyway, I was talking unconventional ways to store energy. Like you mentioned storing cold air via AC in an insulated shop or a cold room, compressed air, hot water, etc. I've even thought about pumping water to my higher pond and building a duct to use with a micro turbine as needed, it would be a huge pond "battery" . I just have to learn the technical aspects of redirecting the solar power from the grid to another load.

After all, most forms of energy are just stored solar energy.

Oh well, that's more of an off grid conversation for another time.
      Last edited by df0rster; 06-13-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by df0rster View Post
        I just have to learn the technical aspects of redirecting the solar power from the grid to another load.
        There is no technical aspects. You just have to turn on the load and it will use the solar power, turn it off and the power goes to the grid. Nothing other than Ohms law to manage the control of the power.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

There is no technical aspects. You just have to turn on the load and it will use the solar power, turn it off and the power goes to the grid. Nothing other than Ohms law to manage the control of the power.
          I'm talking like using the meters and current sensors to automate the export during months when I would be using less than I produce, so I don't give away the electricity free. I don't plan to sit there and manually switch loads on and off to keep from exporting power.

But from the info I've seen here it would be easier and more cost beneficial to just do grid tie with net metering. Also it is not as expensive or difficult as I initially thought.
          Last edited by df0rster; 06-13-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I'm talking like using the meters and current sensors to automate the export during months when I would be using less than I produce, so I don't give away the electricity free.
            You'd be spending a LOT of money and time to avoid giving something away for free. Seems counterproductive.
            But from the info I've seen here it would be easier and more cost beneficial to just do grid tie with net metering. Also it is not as expensive or difficult as I initially thought.
            Agreed.

Comment

I'm talking like using the meters and current sensors to automate the export during months when I would be using less than I produce, so I don't give away the electricity free. I don't plan to sit there and manually switch loads on and off to keep from exporting power.

if you have a smart meter or some other load that can be remotely controlled you could manage it with simple IFTTT scripts, if generating a lot, then turn down the temperature...
              Personally net metering is far simpler and a lot more efficient (100% efficient not sure how efficient thermal cooling would be, I guess it would depend on your insulation and time).

There are already scripts on IFTTT to handle thermostat based on solar capacity..
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
              X