Question about SolarEdge inverter sizing and clipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cwc303 View Post
    Macaddict, is it the installer or SolarEdge that enables the additional parts of the portal? Do you know?
    Both can do it.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

Originally posted by Cwc303 View Post
      Macaddict, is it the installer or SolarEdge that enables the additional parts of the portal? Do you know?
      Typically the installer. They should also select yur account as the owner.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

SolarEdge support was happy to make the config change to the portal on request. Not sure how much of real use there, but I like to be able to make that decision rather than have it made for me.

Comment

Originally posted by qweiczz
          I'm not sure about this. I have the SE 7600 inverter and the other day it showed 7849 W at 10:20 AM:
          WHY are you adding this URL? it doesn't seem to have anything to do with your post.
          What is it you are not sure about with the inverter? do you have the SE7600A or SE7600H?
          Last edited by SunEagle; 12-11-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Hello very new member
            I live in BC Canada
            I have installed 32 360 w jinko panels
            in my field for a total of 11.52 kw
            I wanted an EV charger for my car so I used the 7600H inverter.
            This was the largest one with the car charger.
            I feel I could get a lot more watts out of a larger inverter.
            Is it possible to parallel two inverters to increase the output
            Thanks
            barrye

Comment

Originally posted by barrye View Post
              Hello very new member
              I live in BC Canada
              I have installed 32 360 w jinko panels
              in my field for a total of 11.52 kw
              I wanted an EV charger for my car so I used the 7600H inverter.
              This was the largest one with the car charger.
              I feel I could get a lot more watts out of a larger inverter.
              Is it possible to parallel two inverters to increase the output
              Thanks
              barrye
              Yes you can connect two inverters and combine them for a single interconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Yes you can connect two inverters and combine them for a single interconnect.
                Thanks Butch.
                I was considering adding a 3.8 kw inverter.
                Does Solaredge have line drawings on how to accomplish this .
                i am a home owner and I have done my own install.
                i assumed i would only get clipping in the summer months.
                i have been online for 3 weeks and on sunny days i draw a straight line at 7.6kw from 10 till 4pm

Comment

Thanks Butch.
                  I was considering adding a 3.8 kw inverter.
                  Does Solaredge have line drawings on how to accomplish this .
                  i am a home owner and I have done my own install.
                  i assumed i would only get clipping in the summer months.
                  i have been online for 3 weeks and on sunny days i draw a straight line at 7.6kw from 10 till 4pm
                  you will get clipping (more so) in winter but for longer time in summer.

Solaredge install shows how to configure the inverters but it is general wiring on the combiner side.

You will need an electrician to help with this somewhat as connecting more than 7.6kW often requies a lineside tap.

What is the bus ratting on your MSP? and what is the main breaker capacity on the MSP?

Comment

I have a 200 amp service.
                    Cable to breaker is 6awg/3.
                    Breaker is 50 amp as the EV part of the inverter
                    is set to 40 amps.
                    So far I have done my own wiring. Only had to redp it once (LOL)

Comment

I have a 200 amp service.
                      Cable to breaker is 6awg/3.
                      Breaker is 50 amp as the EV part of the inverter
                      is set to 40 amps.
                      So far I have done my own wiring. Only had to redp it once (LOL)
                      I show 6ga wire as best case rated 75A Is this the wire gauge to your inverter, or to the EV outlet ?

Do you know the gauge and distance of your house hold feed wire from the electric company?

Adding an inverter may mean a change in your buy-back/net-meter contract and you may loose any currently favorable rates
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

8 awg/4 from the panels to the inverter 6awg/ from inverter to 50a breaker.
                        Not sure about meter to pole..
                        Fortunately when I put my application in to B C Hydro i had designed a system with a 10 kw inverter
                        and switched ( after much teeth gnashing) to the 7.6 EV charger.
                        Now my wife doesn't want to buy an electric car
                        c'est la vie

Comment

I just had a 9.855 kW panel system installed with the installer's recommended SolarEdge 7600HD inverter. I've seen two sunny days in the last week with just under 4 hours straight of clipping at 7600 W each day. I felt that I should have gotten a 10000HD inverter for my 9,855 W panel array. Should I insist on replacing the 7600HD inverter with the 10000HD or is there really a benefit with my system and will the clipping not affect things too bad with 7600HD?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff72 View Post
                            I just had a 9.855 kW panel system installed with the installer's recommended SolarEdge 7600HD inverter. I've seen two sunny days in the last week with just under 4 hours straight of clipping at 7600 W each day. I felt that I should have gotten a 10000HD inverter for my 9,855 W panel array. Should I insist on replacing the 7600HD inverter with the 10000HD or is there really a benefit with my system and will the clipping not affect things too bad with 7600HD?
                            7600 requires a 40A breaker. (7600 / 240 * 1.25 = 40)
                            10000 will require a 60A breaker (10000 / 240 * 1.25 = 52; next size up == 60)

So you'll need a larger breaker, larger wire size from the panel to the breaker.
                            And that may require additional changes to the breaker panel (like changing to a supply-side tap, or replacing the breaker panel or ....)
                            We would need a lot more information about how your installation was done to tell you if this would be a fairly straightforward upgrade, or if it'd likely require significant work.
                            If it'd require significant work, then the benefit is you didn't have to pay for that work to be done. And that extra work/cost may not have had a reasonable payoff time (maybe even never)

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

7600 requires a 40A breaker. (7600 / 240 * 1.25 = 40)
                              10000 will require a 60A breaker (10000 / 240 * 1.25 = 52; next size up == 60)

So you'll need a larger breaker, larger wire size from the panel to the breaker.
                              And that may require additional changes to the breaker panel (like changing to a supply-side tap, or replacing the breaker panel or ....)
                              We would need a lot more information about how your installation was done to tell you if this would be a fairly straightforward upgrade, or if it'd likely require significant work.
                              If it'd require significant work, then the benefit is you didn't have to pay for that work to be done. And that extra work/cost may not have had a reasonable payoff time (maybe even never)
                              They connected my system outside on the inside connection at the electric meter. Nothing goes inside the house besides the main feed and a cat5 cable for monitoring to my Internet router. So, I don't think any wiring will need to change. I would think a simple inverter swap might just work but i'm not sure.

Also, they have a solar array main shutoff before it connects to the outside electric meter. (Inverter is outside mounted to house)

Does that help answer your question?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff72 View Post
                                Jeff72: What's your zip and what's your array azimuth and tilt ? A PVWatts run can estimate your max. possible hourly output for sunny days by hour for an approx. reference.

7.6 kW output sounds low for a 9.9 kW array, and it's probably due to the inverter being undersized, especially if the output for 4 hrs. is dead flat at 7.6 kW. Was the reduced or flat output somewhat symmetric around solar noon +/- some ?

There's a small and quite unlikely chance the low output may be due to shading, but stranger things have happened. What was the daylong output in kWh for those two sunny days ?

Comment

Working...
                                X