X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

As I wrote, more information is always welcome. As for "us guys", I'm probably the most concerned or vociferous among active posters with respect to SolarCity, although I'm sure others may be curious about first hand accounts related to their shenanigans. I think SunEagle may also have gotten a direct, or close to it from Irma. Glad/Hope you did OK.
    Yes we did ok. No damage to my home or my neighbors. A lot of tree branches down but very few trees. Biggest issue was being without power for 36 hours. My 5500 watt gas gen set did a nice job keeping the food cold, lights on and fans running.

I did also use both of my battery systems at night to run a few fans and my CPAP machine.

I have looked at a lot of the solar installs in my area and they seemed to have survived the 90mph winds we got. Although if Irma stayed a CAT 4 I would expect most homes or array's would not have survived the wind and flying debris.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 09-15-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• max2k
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Singuy

I'm looking for evident of shoddy installation job that surely was put to the test during a major hurricane. These are the only two who used SC in my neighborhood that I know of.

Also you wanted me to come back for future updates...even if I say that SC was excellent, you can always play it off as "well that's just a sample size of one"....so what's the point of doing updates then?
      what about other neighbors and their arrays? I mean taken out of context this doesn't say much but if you said roofs were gone but arrays remained that would be something .

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Yes we did ok. No damage to my home or my neighbors. A lot of tree branches down but very few trees. Biggest issue was being without power for 36 hours. My 5500 watt gas gen set did a nice job keeping the food cold, lights on and fans running.

I did also use both of my battery systems at night to run a few fans and my CPAP machine.

I have looked at a lot of the solar installs in my area and they seemed to have survived the 90mph winds we got. Although if Irma stayed a CAT 4 I would expect most homes or array's would not have survived the wind and flying debris.
        Thanx for the info. I was not concerned for your safety as I'm sure you can contend with more than a hurricane can throw at you, but figured you may be a bit busy just now.
        Last edited by SunEagle; 09-15-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Singuy
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by max2k

what about other neighbors and their arrays? I mean taken out of context this doesn't say much but if you said roofs were gone but arrays remained that would be something .
          You have to understand that we are not a very solar friendly state even though we get pretty decent sunshine. There are around 5 houses in a neighborhood of 1200 houses with solar panels. It's not like I can survey 30 houses around me..let alone those who used SC.

Comment

• B-17
            • Aug 2016

If you are even remotely considering a national firm like Solar City, Vivint or Sunrun. Keep looking. Find a local installer that does not BS.
            DO YOU NEED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS TO BE ANY CLEARER?

Comment

• Singuy
              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by B-17
              If you are even remotely considering a national firm like Solar City, Vivint or Sunrun. Keep looking. Find a local installer that does not BS.
              DO YOU NEED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS TO BE ANY CLEARER?
              You obviously didn't read through the thread. You think I would go with Solar City if I had a better local company? I think 5 different quotes are enough. I have no brand loyalty, and I always buy generic if it's cheaper for the same. Unfortunately, no one local can match Solar City's pricing AND warranty. I have companies that can give me a decent price but carries a 1 year warranty, while another company blatantly had arguments with me about how monocrystallines are not made for Florida.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

You obviously didn't read through the thread. You think I would go with Solar City if I had a better local company? I think 5 different quotes are enough. I have no brand loyalty, and I always buy generic if it's cheaper for the same. Unfortunately, no one local can match Solar City's pricing AND warranty. I have companies that can give me a decent price but carries a 1 year warranty, while another company blatantly had arguments with me about how monocrystallines are not made for Florida.

And from what I've seen, no one, except maybe Vivant and Sunrun can match their lack of professionalism and lack of integrity. If I couldn't do better than SolarCity, I wouldn't do anything. Mostly the same in terms of install quality, integrity and professionalism for the other two bottom feeders, Vivant and Sunrun. I've seen better work out of "Larry with a ladder" type installers, and I wouldn't use them either.
                Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-16-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• B-17
                  • Aug 2016

Try this resource for finding a good local installer: www.solarreviews.com
                  Last edited by solar pete; 10-17-2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

• Lukez
                    • Oct 2017

Did you end up going with solarcity yet? I could get you an extended 5 year warranty if you do end up going with them. Let me know if you want it. Thanks

Comment

• mgarbarino
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                      Panasonic HIT panels (N330) for example have the world's best thermal efficiency rating, so their production will degrade the least per degree centigrade rise. http://business.panasonic.com/VBHN330SA16.html
                      As well as a 25yr defect warranty and the best 25yr production warranty -- though panel warranty claims are notoriously hard to ever make good on.

But you will pay a premium for these panels -- they are roughly $1.00 per Watt for the panel alone. They only come in black (HIT "monocrystalline") on a white back sheet with a black frame. They are 96-cell with a higher than normal Vmp so you'll have to use either a string inverter OR SolarEdge DC Optimizer system (no micros). BUT, just because the Panasonic panels are more efficient and have better thermal coefficients, this added production may or may not (probably not) be enough to offset their higher install cost in the long run.

Given that it sounds like you will have three separate panel orientations (if you cover three faces of your roof), the SolarEdge system could be a good choice. Otherwise these will have to be separated into three separate strings into one or more string inverters. Both options are definitely doable. But for my money I prefer the panel level optimization and monitoring I get with my Panasonic / SE system here in NJ. And SE gives you the added benefit of a robust panel level rapid shutdown solution for NEC 2014/12017.

For a Panasonic / SolarEdge system you're going to be closer to $3.00 per watt -- so obviously more expensive than your current offers. But thee should be lots of reputable, well regarded local installers in Florida to choose. Check out Energy Sage dot com.

Butch is exactly right, ideally you'd want an air gap between your roof and the panels to keep their the panel temps down as well. And critter guards/screens to keep the vermin from nesting under your panels and chewing the wires.

JSchnee21, I know your post in this thread is a bit old and I apologize for not having figured out how to private message (is it possible?). I am in Nj and am looking for a system pretty much identical to yours. Could you pass along your installer or any recommendations please?

-Matthew

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mgarbarino

JSchnee21, I know your post in this thread is a bit old and I apologize for not having figured out how to private message (is it possible?). I am in Nj and am looking for a system pretty much identical to yours. Could you pass along your installer or any recommendations please?

-Matthew
                        There are no PM's.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lukez

Did you end up going with solarcity yet? I could get you an extended 5 year warranty if you do end up going with them. Let me know if you want it. Thanks
                          Hello Lukez and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

MOD Note; Please do not solicit jobs or sales of solar hardware on this website without getting permission from the Admin Solar Pete.

Any future posts like the one above will result in a long vacation from this forum.

Comment

• Lukez
                            • Oct 2017

Hello Lukez and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

MOD Note; Please do not solicit jobs or sales of solar hardware on this website without getting permission from the Admin Solar Pete.

Any future posts like the one above will result in a long vacation from this forum.
                            Hello, I am not soliciting jobs or sales. I own a tesla and as an owner I am able to give new buyers extended warranty on the solar panels with solarcity since they are owned by tesla as part of their referral program! They just started this program and I'm offering it since it's free and it benefits the community.
                            If this is still against the rules then I will not repost.

Read for yourself directly from tesla:
                            <removed referral link>
                            Last edited by sensij; 10-17-2017, 12:49 AM. Reason: mod note: please do not post referral links.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lukez

Hello, I am not soliciting jobs or sales. I own a tesla and as an owner I am able to give new buyers extended warranty on the solar panels with solarcity since they are owned by tesla as part of their referral program! They just started this program and I'm offering it since it's free and it benefits the community.
                              If this is still against the rules then I will not repost.

Read for yourself directly from tesla:
                              <removed by moderator>
                              I understand. IMO your original post sounded very much like solicitation.

I have no problem with someone helping others to save money but be aware the people who benefit the most would be Tesla and not necessarily the community. They are saving a lot of money getting you to advertise for them, which is a big reduction in cost for their company.
                              Last edited by sensij; 10-17-2017, 12:48 AM. Reason: removed referral link from quoted text

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

I understand. IMO your original post sounded very much like solicitation.

I have no problem with someone helping others to save money but be aware the people who benefit the most would be Tesla and not necessarily the community. They are saving a lot of money getting you to advertise for them, which is a big reduction in cost for their company.
                                I smell a referral here.

Comment

Working...