X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crender2000
    • May 2017

I have already told the power company what I am doing. They do not seem to care that much. I am not sure where all you guys are from but you are way to worried about legal issues. In order to learn you can not be afraid to experiment.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by crender2000
      I am not sure where all you guys are from but you are way to worried about legal issues. In order to learn you can not be afraid to experiment.
      Real simple, most replies to you are from professionals including myself. Two things we cannot do is condone illegal and dangerous practices. There are ways to experiment, be legal, and no risk to life and property.

Secondly this forum is liable for its content.
      Last edited by Sunking; 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

I have already told the power company what I am doing. They do not seem to care that much. I am not sure where all you guys are from but you are way to worried about legal issues. In order to learn you can not be afraid to experiment.
        To learn you could read a damn book, instead of risking burning your house down, your life, or line workers lives. The power company is just that a company, the legal is with the state. You stated you have a permit on the way, that is so far from reality and the way things and you don't even understand how stupid your statement sounds.

you clearly do not care about your actions but others reading this thread should understand the issues with following OP off the cliff.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Way to go Butch. Now you understand me and my POV's. Don't waste time with fools. Call them out and pound them into the ground for all to see.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ButchDeal
            should you have ANY insurance event at your house related to or not the inverter, your insurance can and will void your policy.
            If it is unrelated to his panel, legally they can not void the policy (ie. not pay on a valid claim).
            ex. someone steals his TV and computer - the insurance policy isn't going to be voided. Or hail storm destroys the insured roof, same deal - it's not related to the inverter causing problems so isn't going to affect the insurance payout.

Now if he has an electrical fire or anything that can be traced to that un-permitted installation (which they'll probably say is a "dangerous and unpermitted install") then they could have good reason to void the insurance.

Comment

• crender2000
              • May 2017

Wow sorry, I wasted my time asking anyone in this forum questions.

Secondly, my power company is a Co-op. That means I am a part owner in power company. When I called them and told them yrs they told me they would send out permit. How much you want to bet I can get approved.

Lastly, you can only learn so much from a book.

Finaly go **** yourselves for being rude.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

You did not waste our time, you wasted your time and money. You got your question answered. You most likely have a Smart Meter, or if you have an antiquated spinning disk meter your panel is to small for you to notice any movement in a span of a day. We educated you for free. Now you complain in which the free advice was delivered. Grow some skin and balls. Being on a Co-Op makes you a member, not an operator. Members have no role in management and operations.

Being in a rural Co-Op district you may in fact not have to putt permits with any AHJ, but that does not exempt you from any home-owner insurance policy requirements. If any part the the installation cause damages and you file a claim, the Insurance company will launch an investigation into the root cause of the fire. If they found out you installed it yourself without written permission and contract with the Co-Op, and notifying the insurance of changes you made without consent, they will not pay a dime.

Not our fault you do not know what you are doing or the rules of the game. You are looking for someone to condone your illegal actions in which you know is illegal from the start. You got exactly what you asked for. Beaten up.
                Last edited by Sunking; 05-21-2017, 01:08 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Wow sorry, I wasted my time asking anyone in this forum questions.

Secondly, my power company is a Co-op. That means I am a part owner in power company. When I called them and told them yrs they told me they would send out permit. How much you want to bet I can get approved.

Lastly, you can only learn so much from a book.

Finaly go **** yourselves for being rude.
                  Well here is a clue. Power companies even coops do NOT give permits. They can only give interconnect agreements. AHJ gives a permit, and that is a government regulatory agency. Further coops are least regulated and can change the agreements as far as interconnects go at almost any time.
                  You can learn almost everything from the RIGHT book, which would easily explain that you need to use UL approved equipment in the US.
                  Your insurance has small print about all work being up to state and federal standards and approved. Non-UL equipment is obviously not up to those standards.

the problem isn't that you asked questions but that you are doing things you know are illegal ( from your first post) you knew you were going to get called out on it and you are still argumentative even though you claim to ( and have demonstrated ) it know what you are doing. Professionals here can not give anything other than safe and legal advise and others might be tempt d to do as you do should be made aware of your errors. They seems small to you but are putting many people other than you at risk.
                  What about the firefighter that might come to your home to fight some fire but is injured due to your lack of labeling, providing disconnect, what not?

take a look at the NBC Washington DC report posted earlier, your install would be their worst example.

Comment

• crender2000
                    • May 2017

From what I can tell you guys don't like the fact it's pretty simple to back feed into grid and don't really need so called professionals.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

From what I can tell you guys don't like the fact it's pretty simple to back feed into grid and don't really need so called professionals.
                      Seems to us you have no clue why it did not appear to be working. That is why you came here and found out why. Secondly you could care less you are putting other peoples lives in danger from your ignorance. Basically you think driving intoxicated is a good thing.

To start if you knew what you were doing, you would know Interconnect is Line to Line, not Line to Neutral. I doubt you even have a clue what that means.
                      Last edited by Sunking; 05-21-2017, 01:20 PM.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• ButchDeal
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Oh for god sakes, you can't see how wrong everything you did is, even though we point it out, so the problem must be all of us and not you. Get over yourself. I did a self install and have helped many others do legal and safe self installs. And yes it is easy so why the hell can't you do a legal safe self install? It doesn't have anything to do with us as you did it before asking us and refuse to see the safety mistakes you have made when pointed out to you.

Comment

• Sean_Ork
                          • Sep 2016

Ok, I will try and explain what I did. I put a 285 watt panel on my roof with a microinverter. I wired it to my breaker box and back feed to the bottom of the bus.

On a sunny day, I flipped every breaker off on panel except the one with panel. I tried to get meter to show backwards flow onto grid. My electric company said their meter needs to be programmed to do this. Does that sound correct?

Save all the illegal talk I have already got permits on the way from them and they are ok with me wiring to grid.
                          Looks like you've quickly found out that some folks on here would much prefer to start an arguement than answer questions.

If you've got a smart meter, your DNO might get upset if they see you backfeeding, or they might not - looks like you've got that covered.

Lets assume you've got it connected correctly and enough sun to drive it to its maximum rating .....

Unless you've got a very old electromechanical meter you'll not see it ever running backwards.

But, and this is a crude way to test your inverter is producing, turn on a load that is close to the inverters output and note how fast it increments - then turn on your inverter - it should slow, or stop.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

I am not worried about being legal. My question is will this make my meter run backward?

If I have every breaker shut off except the solar panel breaker. When I tried it the meter just stopped.
                            Fortunately we do want people to follow the law when it comes to solar and we do not condone what you are doing and how you are doing it.

So to protect this forum and anyone that feels an illegal grid tie is ok I have given crender2000 a week vacation to think about what he posts.
                            Last edited by SunEagle; 05-21-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Oh @ foo1bar. Stop flagging this thread. Let it go.

Comment

• Sean_Ork
                                • Sep 2016

Joe, that's dreadful, really dreadful.

Comment

Working...