X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grid tied 1 panel

Ok, I will try and explain what I did. I put a 285 watt panel on my roof with a microinverter. I wired it to my breaker box and back feed to the bottom of the bus.

On a sunny day, I flipped every breaker off on panel except the one with panel. I tried to get meter to show backwards flow onto grid. My electric company said their meter needs to be programmed to do this. Does that sound correct?

Save all the illegal talk I have already got permits on the way from them and they are ok with me wiring to grid.

Yes, most new meters have a "ratchet" so that power going backwards from the house to the grid is recorded as a purchase. Given its one panel, odds are your minimal output will rarely if ever exceed the power coming into the house.

Comment

Ok, that is what I was kind of thinking.

Two questions, first on a sunny day with 1 panel tied to the grid what is happening to my electrons?

Secondly, how many panels would it take to exceed power coming into the house to get the meter to spin back?

Lastly, one more question will what I am doing work? It seems to me in theory what I am doing should be working.

Comment

Permits come from he AHJ, usually count office, interconnect comes from the utility. Generally you need the permit first before construction, then construction, then inspection from county, then interconnect.

No no one can answer your questions without knowing about your load and placement of the array.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I live in a rural area and do not have as many regulations. The array is 1 solar panel. If I turn off all the breakers in the house except the 1 breaker that is tied to the solar panel there should be no load. Or are you talking about something else?

Comment

Here is somewhat of a diagram in wrote out form.

Solar Panel-Microinverter- 110 wire going to the main breaker tied to the bottom of bus- 200 amp main breaker.

Simple but it should work

Comment

Originally posted by crender2000 View Post
              I live in a rural area and do not have as many regulations. The array is 1 solar panel. If I turn off all the breakers in the house except the 1 breaker that is tied to the solar panel there should be no load. Or are you talking about something else?
              If you have wired it up correctly then it should be feeding in at that point. but as mentioned already you meter likely does not register it as feeding in but might actually register it as a purchase.

Most rural areas in the US still have the same permit regulations.

Comment

Here is somewhat of a diagram in wrote out form.

Solar Panel-Microinverter- 110 wire going to the main breaker tied to the bottom of bus- 200 amp main breaker.

Simple but it should work

What kind of micro inverter do you have that is only 110V?

are you meeting state regulations for external disconnect, labeling, etc?

Comment

Waterproof WVC Micro Grid Tie Solar Inverter,22-50V DC Input with power line communication (WVC260A@120V AC)

Comment

Micro inverter.jpg
                    This looks to have the correct model numbers. These are not legal to use in grid tied systems in the USA. Not UL listed and I would be surprised if you were allowed to install it. Even if your inspector doesn't care, your, or your homeowner's insurance co. will. In the event of a fire you will be held liable as the insurance company won't cover the damage
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Waterproof WVC Micro Grid Tie Solar Inverter,22-50V DC Input with power line communication (WVC260A@120V AC)
                      Are you sure that is UL listed and meets 1741 standards?

Comment

I am not worried about being legal. My question is will this make my meter run backward?

If I have every breaker shut off except the solar panel breaker. When I tried it the meter just stopped.

Comment

Sorry to tell you but you have pretty much wasted your money. You most likely have a Smart Meter and POCO's are smarter than you are. Those Smart Meters are indeed smart. The meter knows you do not have a contract. so any excess power you generate is detected but is billed as power used. That means you pay for the power you send out to the POCO. The meter also alerts the POCO of an illegal connection.

If it is not a Smart Meter, a 285 watt panel is so insignificantly small even if your meter could run backwards would take the course of a whole day for you to detect any meter movement or 1-click backwards. That panel can only generate 10 to 15 cents worth of electricity per day at most (1 Kwh) which is one least significant digit on an electric meter.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you Sunking. That was what I wanted to know. That is why I only bought one and one inverter. I wanted to experiment before I wasted much money.

Comment

I am not worried about being legal. My question is will this make my meter run backward?

If I have every breaker shut off except the solar panel breaker. When I tried it the meter just stopped.
                              Not only will you meter not run backwards it will likely charge your for any power particularly as this is only on one leg of your system ( unbalanced).
                              Further you will never get an interconnect for a non UL listed inverter and the power company can shut off your power and levy a hefty fine on you, further because of the meter they can easily detect that you are doing this.

should you have ANY insurance event at your house related to or not the inverter, your insurance can and will void your policy.

you are taking considerable risk for the chance to save pennies

Comment

Working...
                              X