X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximizese
    • Sep 2015

I'm planning on going solar very soon and I complete ignored that fact that I live across the street from a public golf course. My house faces the golf course to the north and my panels will be installed facing the south. In the last 4 years, I've had about 3 golf balls settle on my front lawn and I've had one make it into the backyard. What tends to happen is a sliced or shanked shot will take a first bounce off the concrete pavement of the flood channel that sits between the course and my street, then bounce again on the asphalt of the street, finally resting on residential property. I complete overlooked this issue and might consider installing a mesh net to reduce or prevent the impact.

Comment

• donald
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by maximizese
      ............My house faces the golf course to the north and my panels will be installed facing the south. In the last 4 years, .................
      I doubt its worth getting a net with your panels facing away from the course. Even if you do get a hit, the oblique angle would minimize the force.

A net high enough to give good protection would cost more than a panel replacement.

Comment

• wwu123
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by maximizese
        I'm planning on going solar very soon and I complete ignored that fact that I live across the street from a public golf course. My house faces the golf course to the north and my panels will be installed facing the south. In the last 4 years, I've had about 3 golf balls settle on my front lawn and I've had one make it into the backyard. What tends to happen is a sliced or shanked shot will take a first bounce off the concrete pavement of the flood channel that sits between the course and my street, then bounce again on the asphalt of the street, finally resting on residential property. I complete overlooked this issue and might consider installing a mesh net to reduce or prevent the impact.

I've had my solar panels for 2+ years now on my south facing roof, with a golf course directly north as well. The only difference is the golf course is on my backyard, so I find the occasional ball in my back yard. I have no concern whatsoever that anyone will hit my panels - it's hard enough for them to hit the north facing roof, the tilt on the south-facing roof makes it virtually impossible....

Comment

• azdave
          • Oct 2014

It was 20 years ago but we lived on a golf course for three years with solar hot water collectors on the roof. 36" tall, loosely stretched chicken wire saved the day from the low trajectory missiles. Occasionally, I had to remove leaves or palm tree fronds from the chicken wire after a dust storm.
          Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Ray Lam
            • Feb 2018

Our house sits adjacent to a golf course in Dallas, Texas. Recently we installed 26 solar panels on our southwest side of roof through a local solar contractor and prior to getting final building inspection from city official, one of the panels was already cracked by a golf ball. Top it off, we found 2 other panels not functioning properly in production two weeks ago. Luckily we have held back $1000 retainage to our contract, but finalized the job has been an excruciating pain since Christmas.

The salesman, who sold us the package told us twice that golf ball breakage won't happen for solar panel can withstand high speed hail breakage. As of today, this salesman has left the firm and we ended up dealing with some project manager. Since the job has never finished prior to broken panel, the manager has agreed to replace the broken panel and retune the 2 malfunctioned panels verbally over the phone. However, he has been elusive, non-committal and he procrastinates to come back after several direct communication with us. In short, he has been wishy washy thus far. What should we do at this time? File with BBB, seek extra help to finish job using retainage, or media assistance, worst of all with legal representation?

To prevent further panel damage in the future, we are considering netting over panels. Can you shed some lights for us? How should netting be mounted over panels? Where to get dependable contractor and mounting hardware? We have seen short galvanized posted mounted on roof tops suspending nets. How to go about?

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by marant
              Frogestyle

....., is purchase nylon fishing nets with an appropriate mesh and install them horizontally just above the panels. They are very thin nylon strands which should minimize the shadowing. They are strong, uv resistant and......
              Nylon and UV resistant. That's a joke. Even the black zip ties are only good for a couple years. And think of the safety net a trapeze artist uses, when they hit the net, there is a lot of deflection, some to preserve their neck, but a lot is the material stretching.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ray Lam
                Our house sits adjacent to a golf course in Dallas, Texas. Recently we installed 26 solar panels on our southwest side of roof through a local solar contractor and prior to getting final building inspection from city official, one of the panels was already cracked by a golf ball. Top it off, we found 2 other panels not functioning properly in production two weeks ago. Luckily we have held back $1000 retainage to our contract, but finalized the job has been an excruciating pain since Christmas.

The salesman, who sold us the package told us twice that golf ball breakage won't happen for solar panel can withstand high speed hail breakage. As of today, this salesman has left the firm and we ended up dealing with some project manager. Since the job has never finished prior to broken panel, the manager has agreed to replace the broken panel and retune the 2 malfunctioned panels verbally over the phone. However, he has been elusive, non-committal and he procrastinates to come back after several direct communication with us. In short, he has been wishy washy thus far. What should we do at this time? File with BBB, seek extra help to finish job using retainage, or media assistance, worst of all with legal representation?

To prevent further panel damage in the future, we are considering netting over panels. Can you shed some lights for us? How should netting be mounted over panels? Where to get dependable contractor and mounting hardware? We have seen short galvanized posted mounted on roof tops suspending nets. How to go about?
                Netting can work but may impact performance some and perhaps void any future performance warranty claims. Then, there are the aesthetics and maintenance issues.

Before netting, and if you have an HOA to deal with, check your CC & R's and know the answer(s) to your question(s) before you ask the HOA if netting is allowed and/or under what conditions. Also, do any neighbors have solar arrays ? If so, what damage have they sustained and what have they done to minimize any array damage from golf ball strikes ?

BTW, seems redundant, but panel glazing is glass and contrary to what that itinerant peddler told you, glass will break.

As for what to do, expect the worst, hope for the best and practice due diligence at a resolution to the situation. Concurrent with all the possible actions you mention, except maybe retaining legal counsel at this time, I'd make a serious effort to contact the owner(s) of the outfit - not some underling - that sold you the array and deal with him/her/them in a professional (and persistent) manner.

Communicate via registered mail (and copy snail mail). Verbal commitments are not worth the paper they're written on.

Make copious notes of all matters and conversations. Put a date and time on all correspondence, conversations and notes.

Legal action is always an option but as I'm sure you know, can be costly and time consuming. You want a working array, not a lot of stress and legal bills.

Comment

Working...