X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
    AFIK, there is no UV resistant nylon. One summer will do it in.

Maybe something like volley ball net, strung between your trees would stop the balls ?
    Make that a badminton net to get small enough holes. But it might tear through the thinner strings.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
      Make that a badminton net to get small enough holes. But it might tear through the thinner strings.
      Or use the same type of nets some of the driving ranges use to keep balls from leaving their property and causing damage to others.

Unfortunately those nets are pretty tough and may cause enough shadowing on the panels depending on how far away they are installed.

IMO living on a golf course and installing anything (pv system, low impact windows, patio tile, etc.) that can get damaged by an errant golf ball would require a very comprehensive and expensive insurance policy.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
        Or use the same type of nets some of the driving ranges use to keep balls from leaving their property and causing damage to others.

Unfortunately those nets are pretty tough and may cause enough shadowing on the panels depending on how far away they are installed.

IMO living on a golf course and installing anything (pv system, low impact windows, patio tile, etc.) that can get damaged by an errant golf ball would require a very comprehensive and expensive insurance policy.
        I've been watching solar arrays around a golf course for 7 yrs. now. Anecdotally, some yards full of balls, some not (I get a couple/week). So far, on probably ~ 20 arrays no damage, but I'm sure some will occur at some time. So my guess is that while damage will surely occur, I'm not convinced it's as common as some perceptions would make it. That says nothing about the severity of an event which can be, as demonstrated, quite severe and probably costly. Low probability X high cost = some consideration (?).

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          I've been watching solar arrays around a golf course for 7 yrs. now. Anecdotally, some yards full of balls, some not (I get a couple/week). So far, on probably ~ 20 arrays no damage, but I'm sure some will occur at some time. So my guess is that while damage will surely occur, I'm not convinced it's as common as some perceptions would make it. That says nothing about the severity of an event which can be, as demonstrated, quite severe and probably costly. Low probability X high cost = some consideration (?).
          I understand your reasoning.

My parents use to live on a golf course and had a great view of the 3rd Tee. But unless someone shank the ball 90 D to the right their windows could not get hit.

It was different for the people living on the Ninth fairway. It was a dog leg to the right with an 8 story condo on the corner. A lot of golfers tried to slice their ball around the condo but enough of them hit the building and windows on the upper floors. Most of those people had installed heavy screening that would survive a hit and protect the sliding door behind it. Cheap insurance.

The parking lots around the condos were semi "covered" with metal roofs to protect the cars from the weather. From the upper floors you could always see a number of golf balls laying on top and you would hear the metal ring when a new ball landed. Some cars were not so lucky to be protected by those metal roofs.

Comment

• marant
            • May 2015

The damaged panel is covered by homeowners insurance policy, minus the deductible. Replacement cost $700 by original installation company. I have not yet tried to see if there are other installers who can do the work. I think it would be by far preferable to stick with the original installer, with whom I was quite satisfied.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by marant
              The damaged panel is covered by homeowners insurance policy, minus the deductible. Replacement cost $700 by original installation company. I have not yet tried to see if there are other installers who can do the work. I think it would be by far preferable to stick with the original installer, with whom I was quite satisfied.
              Check the policy. Some specifically do not cover solar appliances.

Comment

• marant
                • May 2015

Already did. It is covered by my policy with USAA

Comment

• frogestyle
                  • Mar 2016

Hello. I am in the same situation. I live on a golf course just 150 yards left side of the tee box whereby I receive errant golf balls daily (2 broken windows so far). I am looking to install solar. Have you implemented any solution? Thanks!

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Use Nets. You knew the risk when you bought the property.

Last edited by Sunking; 03-10-2016, 02:36 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• marant
                      • May 2015

Frogestyle

Here is a little update, woefully late. I had the panel replaced, at my expense, since the cost of $440 was less than my deductible. Have not taken any additional measures for protection, no damage in the last year. (And yes, Sunking, I did know when I purchased the property, did accept the risk because it was worth it to live where I do. I, and no-one else here, is laying blame anywhere, just looking for ideas.)

I did do quite a bit a research after the damage on different ways to protect the panels. Due to layout of my home and lot a vertical barrier is not a solution. My array is essentially flat, on a flat roof with a parapet about 2' high around it. I did not want to use nets from driving ranges due to loss of insolation. What I think I will do, if I decide to install something, is purchase nylon fishing nets with an appropriate mesh and install them horizontally just above the panels. They are very thin nylon strands which should minimize the shadowing. They are strong, uv resistant and, in a horizontal orientation, should tend to just bounce the balls away. Just my idea.

BTW, I did learn one thing when replacing the panel. Mine are BenQ panels with microinverters. I originally thought most panels are interchangeable, but they are not. As the industry changes and improves we may face a real problem finding replacement panels that will work with our arrays. I would be interested in any comments on this as a potential problem and possible solutions (adapters??).

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by marant

BTW, I did learn one thing when replacing the panel. Mine are BenQ panels with microinverters. I originally thought most panels are interchangeable, but they are not. As the industry changes and improves we may face a real problem finding replacement panels that will work with our arrays. I would be interested in any comments on this as a potential problem and possible solutions (adapters??).
                        With microinverters, it *should* be easier replace the failed panel with any other panel+microinverter. "Proprietary" cables and connectors defeat what could be a nice future-proof selling point for micros. With SolarEdge, you can replace the panel with anything that looks good, and should be OK, or at worst swap out the optimizer as well. With string inverters, mismatch can be a problem, but most 60 cell panels installed today should be interchangeable for some time.
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• frogestyle
                          • Mar 2016

Thanks for the update marant. It would be great to hear from somebody that actually implemented a winnable solution to protect against golf ball impacts.

Comment

• DanS26
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2011

Maybe a different strategy is needed......instead of trying to protect the panels just buy replacement panels to keep your array whole if the damage rate is not too high. It seems one damaged panel in say three years for your array is not too high or maybe it is? You can buy panels now ~$.75 per watt. Build an inventory of spare parts. Learn how to replace the panels yourself to keep costs down.

Move older panels around in the strings to replace the damaged ones and then start new panel strings as you go.......that would be my approach. Just treat it as a cost of living where you live.

Another idea is too place a box with signage on the property line. Most golfers I know have a very good code of ethics. Ask them to leave their name and phone # if they suspect they damaged your panels.

Comment

• Logan005
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2015

I suspect this ball was intentionally set. Some Donkey volleyed it high and allowed it to gain force. see it gives them something to aim at. and the goal is to see what it takes. I would sue the course.
                              4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• sunnyguy
                                • Apr 2015

Doppler radar plus water cannon or net gun.

Comment

Working...