X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by marant
    I did learn one thing when replacing the panel. Mine are BenQ panels with microinverters. I originally thought most panels are interchangeable, but they are not. As the industry changes and improves we may face a real problem finding replacement panels that will work with our arrays. I would be interested in any comments on this as a potential problem and possible solutions (adapters??).
    Your new panel doesn't plug into your old micro inverter? If your new generic panel has MC4s, I would cut the leads
    off the broken panel and splice on MC4s to make adapter jumpers. There are even ways to do wire splices, not
    as simple outdoors. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Logan005
      I suspect this ball was intentionally set. Some Donkey volleyed it high and allowed it to gain force. see it gives them something to aim at. and the goal is to see what it takes. I would sue the course.
      That means you have never played golf. If you had you would know damn well 95% of people that play golf could not hit what they are aiming at or shape a shot if their life depended on it. Those that are good enough, play with their friends for money and would not waste a stroke and risk loosing a hole. Trust me I know, I am a 3 handicap and live on a golf course.

Seriously any golf course in residential areas are not responsible for errant shots, the golfer is if you can catch them. Most homeowners on golf courses are fairly well off, and the ones in flight paths know to use nets. In higher end courses the homes are part of an HOA who installs and maintain nets. When was the last time you seen a nice golf course in a project housing development.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
        That means you have never played golf. If you had you would know damn well 95% of people that play golf could not hit what they are aiming at or shape a shot if their life depended on it. Those that are good enough, play with their friends for money and would not waste a stroke and risk loosing a hole. Trust me I know, I am a 3 handicap and live on a golf course.

Seriously any golf course in residential areas are not responsible for errant shots, the golfer is if you can catch them. Most homeowners on golf courses are fairly well off, and the ones in flight paths know to use nets. In higher end courses the homes are part of an HOA who installs and maintain nets. When was the last time you seen a nice golf course in a project housing development.
        I don't know about that. My ball always finds the water hazard even if I don't aim for it.

Comment

• Logan005
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2015

I am sure the solar panel was hit by someone as part of a bet, they have been working on it, and somebody won that bet.
          4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

The picture appears to place the panels fairly close to the south wall. How about, move one row as far north as possible, then
            move the other north, perhaps closer together than they are? Then a fence at the south wall can have some height without
            blocking the sun much. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
              I don't know about that. My ball always finds the water hazard even if I don't aim for it.
              Well I have played a lot of golf in your state. If I hit one in the water, I will not get close to the water in Florida. You got those big ass ugly dogs that hide under the water. I will gladly take stroke and distance penalty. Those dogs can have my golf balls, but I prefer to keep mine right where they are at.

FWIW we have their salt water cousins and caimans down here in Panama.
              Last edited by Sunking; 03-11-2016, 12:33 AM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by marant
                .... What I think I will do, if I decide to install something, is purchase nylon fishing nets with an appropriate mesh and install them horizontally just above the panels. They are very thin nylon strands which should minimize the shadowing. They are strong, uv resistant and, ........
                Nylon is very sensitive to UV. I think you will be replacing more netting than panels. Black UV rated zip ties last me two years, When that first golf ball tears through the 1 year old net, it's gonna hurt.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                  Well I have played a lot of golf in your state. If I hit one in the water, I will not get close to the water in Florida. You got those big ass ugly dogs that hide under the water. I will gladly take stroke and distance penalty. Those dogs can have my golf balls, but I prefer to keep mine right where they are at.

FWIW we have their salt water cousins and caimans down here in Panama.
                  I have had a few run in with them water dogs and also let them have a few of my balls for lunch. It is not worth going after anything that falls into the water in Florida.

Comment

• MikeInRialto
                    • Mar 2015

What about trying to get the golf course to replace the panel?

Comment

• Remmy700P
                      • Apr 2016

Get SolarWorld replacement panels and stock up some inventory. I machine-launched a baseball at one at almost 160mph. Not a scratch.

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by Remmy700P
                        Get SolarWorld replacement panels and stock up some inventory. I machine-launched a baseball at one at almost 160mph. Not a scratch.
                        Wow ! that is nearly unbelievable. Actually, really hard to believe. Got any photos ?
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Remmy700P
                          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250

Wow ! that is nearly unbelievable. Actually, really hard to believe. Got any photos ?
                          No, I didn't think to photograph it. The company did a nice little video of the physical resiliency testing against international standards though.

Admin Note, I deleted the link looks like advertising to me

Comment

• FFE
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2015

Thanks for sharing the video. I didn't see a speed on the baseball but the other parts of the video looked impressive.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250

Maybe he meant there wasn't a scratch on the baseball.

Comment

• Remmy700P
                                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Remmy700P

The company did a nice little video of the physical resiliency testing against international standards though.

Admin Note, I deleted the link looks like advertising to me
                                How else is one supposed to link to a youtube video? I'M not selling anything...

Admin note, I dont like links to youtube, especially ones that are just advertising puff pieces, thanks

Comment

Working...