• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thejq
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by n9lri
    Really
    45 dollars x 25 years 1200 bucks and where do you live where power is so cheap ?

Base here is .18

It's your money.
    In San Diego (the land of expensive electricity), if you're on EV-TOU2 plan, the cost of clipping is currently @ $0.48/KWh. So it can get a little expensive depending where you're and the rate plan you're in.
    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• ericf1
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by thejq
      I'm hoping you're right that the dashboard is the actual production
      One of these days, one of us needs to shut off all of our breakers except the main and solar feed-in for a day. Then we can compare dashboard to poco meter...
      24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by thejq
        Yes, that's what I thought. But I can't explain the difference between the end-of-day production reported by the dashboard, and calculation by summing up all the 15-min wattages and divide by 4. The latter is always smaller by roughly 2-3%. I'm hoping you're right that the dashboard is the actual production, but the number seems a little too good comparing to Enphase (which on paper should have efficiency within 1% from SE).
        If you look at the technical data API, you can see there are two data sources within the inverter. One gives apparent power that is exactly 3.0% greater than the other, at all times, in all irradiance environments. The higher one is used for the energy data, the lower one is used for the power data. The reason the relationship between power and energy drifts from the 3.0% in cloudy conditions is because the energy is averaged differently than the power, leading to some synchronization error that can stack up.

I've come up with no better explanation than SE is trying to make their system look better than the competition's by publishing high energy numbers, but still within the ±5% spec they need to meet to be compliant with CEC, among others. When I've pushed hard enough on the SE tech that I got passed to an engineer, they did not confirm or deny it, they just say that 5% is their spec and revenue grade monitoring is required if you want better.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Alisobob
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

This is a no brainer.

Solar Edge is by far the more efficient system.
          Enphase, Enphase Energy, solar batteries, solar inverters, home solar systems, microinverters, storage system, solar plus storage, solar and storage

Maybe not....

solaredge.JPG

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
            That test was rigged to generate a particular outcome, as many are. There should be very little difference in the output between SE and Enphase.

Comment

• sensij
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ericf1
              One of these days, one of us needs to shut off all of our breakers except the main and solar feed-in for a day. Then we can compare dashboard to poco meter...
              It really isn't necessary. All you need is a predictable baseline load running during the day when no one is home, and you can see that the higher 3% energy numbers don't add up. I've added a revenue grade meter to my system to be sure, and am finding that even the sum of SolarEdge power numbers (3% less than the energy total), is also almost 1% over what the revenue grade meter shows. This is supported by the calculated baseline consumption numbers, when the math is done.

Sometime soon I'll share some comparison charts showing SE reported power vs revenue grade measured power, but I'm working on some other analysis at the moment first. Also, just to get in front of a possible objection... the CT's for my revenue grade meter are actually located inside the inverter, so termination or wire resistance shouldn't really be coming into play.

Really, SE is taking as much liberty with their numbers as they can, and while other inverters (Enphase, SMA) seem to do this a little bit, I think they tend to stick closer to the truth. It doesn't make SE a bad system... just, if accurate monitoring is your thing, SE gets an F for that.

Comment

• sensij
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sensij

Sometime soon I'll share some comparison charts showing SE reported power vs revenue grade measured power, but I'm working on some other analysis at the moment first. Also, just to get in front of a possible objection... the CT's for my revenue grade meter are actually located inside the inverter, so termination or wire resistance shouldn't really be coming into play.
                Actually, here is an example I can share, from 5/10 (a nearly clear day):

PVOutput.org - share, compare and monitor live solar photovoltaic output data

This is a gross consumption chart... the Tecolote Canyon system is using SE 5 min data (power, not energy), and the -Test system is using the EKM Meter (revenue grade) to report solar generation. Gross Consumption is calculated from generation and net consumption. Net consumption comes from an Eagle device, through Wattvision, and is the same for both systems (as you can see during the hours when the sun is down).

You can see early in the day, both systems show about the same gross consumption, and they maintain the same baseline established when the sun wasn't out. Later in the day, the SE generation has drifted slightly higher, pulling up the calculated gross consumption number to compensate, at a level that is higher than the baseline. The revenue grade system is continuing to maintain the same baseline, as might be expected.

The end result was that SE reported more energy than the revenue grade system.

EKM Meter: 20.85 kWh
                SE sum of 5 or 15 min Power, multiplied by time: 21.00 kWh (0.7% above EKM)
                SE Energy (from the SE portal): 21.63 kWh (3.0% above SE power, 3.7% above EKM)

I changed the parameters of the test after that day, so scrolling to days forward or backward may be comparing different things.

Comment

• n9lri
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by sensij
                  That test was rigged to generate a particular outcome, as many are. There should be very little difference in the output between SE and Enphase.
                  Any time you see a report made and paid for by a company beware.

The daily data we have from the logs shows a much different story.

I have a 10KW Enphase I installed and a 10KW Solar Edge installed. Both have zero shading and perfect south views at the same angle.
                  In the winter the Solar Edge makes 6 to 8kw a day more due to the panel power being so much higher in the cold and the Enphase flat tops.

In the heat of summer there near even. Down south it don't matter but up in the northern Midwest it matters ever winter day.

If a panel in the cold makes over 300 watts -- it's best to be able to use it.

Watching all these systems on line shows the real picture.

Comment

• sensij
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

Rather than believing blanket statements about which will perform better various conditions, it can easily be modeled using PVWatts or SAM. The amount lost to clipping can be estimated and valued at the appropriate cost per kWh. The OP in this case is not in the mid-west, and data from those systems in that location seems odd to bring up.

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Any time you see a report made and paid for by a company beware.

The daily data we have from the logs shows a much different story.

I have a 10KW Enphase I installed and a 10KW Solar Edge installed. Both have zero shading and perfect south views at the same angle.
                      In the winter the Solar Edge makes 6 to 8kw a day more due to the panel power being so much higher in the cold and the Enphase flat tops.

Watching all these systems on line shows the real picture.
                      Comparing two systems at even slightly different locations is meaningless. You are spreading the snake oil you are worried about - nothing more.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• foo1bar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2014

I bought a TED5000 and set it up a few days ago.
                        The TED5000 reports via pvoutput.org that for today (5/12) I produced 57.47kwh
                        The Solaredge monitoring website says I produced 58.54kwh
                        (1.8% higher reported by SE)

The TED5k only is measuring 1 leg (120V, not 240V), so there could be some error introduced there.
                        And I see yesterday 56.644kwh vs. 58.696kwh (3.6% difference) so it's not a constant % difference.
                        Yesterday and today had some clouds so some error could be due to sampling rate/size.

And it's quite possible that my TED is off - they claim +/-2% and SE claims +/- 5%.

But it seems likely that SE is calibrated to report slightly higher.

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by foo1bar
                          I bought a TED5000 and set it up a few days ago.
                          Is the TED classified as revenue grade? The numbers the companies stick on them and the claims made are meaningless without some kind of certification -
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• foo1bar
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by russ
                            Is the TED classified as revenue grade? The numbers the companies stick on them and the claims made are meaningless without some kind of certification -
                            If you're going to bother to reply, at least read the entire post.
                            As I already said, TED says +/-2% for TED5000.
                            SE says +/-5%.
                            Of course neither are revenue grade.

Although I think SE has that option available if you want to pay for it. If you'd like to buy me a new inverter with the revenue grade feature, I'll be happy to hook it up.

Comment

• sensij
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2014

The revenue grade add on for Solaredge can be installed at any time. .. It is just a wattnode revenue grade meter with Ct's, costs maybe $400. The rs-485 protocol to talk to it is built into the Solaredge firmware, so the wattnode numbers become available through the Solaredge portal. For a few reasons, i preferred the ekm meter that i just installed, but could pass along the SE whitepaper on integrating wattnode to anyone interested.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by foo1bar
                                If you're going to bother to reply, at least read the entire post.
                                As I already said, TED says +/-2% for TED5000.
                                SE says +/-5%.
                                Of course neither are revenue grade.

Although I think SE has that option available if you want to pay for it. If you'd like to buy me a new inverter with the revenue grade feature, I'll be happy to hook it up.
                                From many previous posts we all know it is not that accurate - what the manufacturer writes on the side is not really meaningful. So you proceed to use it for comparisons?

There are many meters available for residential use that are revenue grade - cheaper than TED for sure.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...