X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

I didn't mean equipment vendors, I just meant installers.
    In http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...l=1#post139070, SolarPete said
    "Please note I work for the same crew (well sort of) that runs this site and solar reviews, cheers and good luck with it, hopefully some more knowledgeable people from your area will chime in, and no its not cool to mention installers names here."

Comment

• DrBriggs
      • Jun 2015

Carl,
      Thanks for the detailed response. I'll give that company a call to get an estimate from them. It's always good to know that somebody had a good experience with a company before committing to a large contract with them.

My install probably wouldn't be quite as straightforward as yours. My garage roof does face due south, and tilted at about 45 degrees, but it's not big enough for the entire system. The roof is inconveniently exactly 16 feet "tall" (the straight-line distance from edge to ridge, not the vertical distance). It seems that most panels are 5.5 feet tall, so three portrait rows would require 16.5 feet. The roof is 22 feet long. So it seems that at best I could fit 15 panels on it - two portrait rows with six in a row, and then a row of three in landscape orientation. The rest will need to be split between the roof of the sunroom/addition I built (roof faces due south also, but we could probably only use a third of the roof since the rest experiences shading from the main part of the house), and a ground mount array.

One option I've been pondering instead of a ground mount array is if we could put a tilted array on the back roof of the main house. The main roof faces west, but is not tilted much (maybe 15 degrees?), so it seems like we could put at least one row on a tilted rack.

Mike

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DrBriggs
        Carl,
        Thanks for the detailed response. I'll give that company a call to get an estimate from them. It's always good to know that somebody had a good experience with a company before committing to a large contract with them.

My install probably wouldn't be quite as straightforward as yours. My garage roof does face due south, and tilted at about 45 degrees, but it's not big enough for the entire system. The roof is inconveniently exactly 16 feet "tall" (the straight-line distance from edge to ridge, not the vertical distance). It seems that most panels are 5.5 feet tall, so three portrait rows would require 16.5 feet. The roof is 22 feet long. So it seems that at best I could fit 15 panels on it - two portrait rows with six in a row, and then a row of three in landscape orientation. The rest will need to be split between the roof of the sunroom/addition I built (roof faces due south also, but we could probably only use a third of the roof since the rest experiences shading from the main part of the house), and a ground mount array.

One option I've been pondering instead of a ground mount array is if we could put a tilted array on the back roof of the main house. The main roof faces west, but is not tilted much (maybe 15 degrees?), so it seems like we could put at least one row on a tilted rack.

Mike
        Tilted (non parallel to mounting surface) mountings can and are done. Sometimes/often, the added production is not worth the added cost, and such arrangements need additional consideration(s) for wind loadings and perhaps other things like snow drift buildup etc. all of which may make such arrangements non cost effective, but not as unusual as you might think.

On roof space, you will need room for access and servicing.

If space is available, ground mounts offer the most flexibility but add to the cost. The no free lunch thing.

Comment

• Carl_NH
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by DrBriggs
          Carl,

One option I've been pondering instead of a ground mount array
          Mike
          With 16' of roof, you "might" be able to extend the top row 6" above the top but you would only get 18 panels or 5.4KW.

I would really look a bit harder at ground mount if you have the space and good sun exposure. You can do much of the footing work with 2" galv pipe yourself and rent or borrow a backhoe to do the trenching. If you are handy you can do most of the installation too - its just mechanical work.

The other benefit of ground mount is you can clear the snow off in the winter easily too - that's the biggest impact on power production in my opinion - my output in Jan & Feb was 300KWH total, then March no snow and nearly 800KWH. There are several solar edge installations ground mount in the area I have checked over the winter and they produce very well year round.

So you might be able to install say 24 300W panels to get 8.1KW and get better overall performance year round since snow can "rob" you of maybe 1000-1200 KW hr a year (that's what I figure to lose) - or about $220 a year at current rates.

Good luck!

Carl

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Carl_NH
            With 16' of roof, you "might" be able to extend the top row 6" above the top but you would only get 18 panels or 5.4KW.

I would really look a bit harder at ground mount if you have the space and good sun exposure. You can do much of the footing work with 2" galv pipe yourself and rent or borrow a backhoe to do the trenching. If you are handy you can do most of the installation too - its just mechanical work.

The other benefit of ground mount is you can clear the snow off in the winter easily too - that's the biggest impact on power production in my opinion - my output in Jan & Feb was 300KWH total, then March no snow and nearly 800KWH. There are several solar edge installations ground mount in the area I have checked over the winter and they produce very well year round.

So you might be able to install say 24 300W panels to get 8.1KW and get better overall performance year round since snow can "rob" you of maybe 1000-1200 KW hr a year (that's what I figure to lose) - or about $220 a year at current rates.

Good luck!

Carl
            Ground is going to add a bit of cost in materials ( pipe, wire, and cement ) as well as labor (trenching, footings, rack assembly ). And in many areas requires fencing around back side at least.
            Once you are into ground mount there is little point in high efficiency just add a few more modules.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

There are so many advantages to ground mount, I haven't yet gotten the list together. And there are cheap
              ways to get them done; here something like $3.15 a watt. But none of that matters if you have no space.
              Bruce Roe

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
                I didn't mean equipment vendors, I just meant installers.
                In http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...l=1#post139070, SolarPete said
                "Please note I work for the same crew (well sort of) that runs this site and solar reviews, cheers and good luck with it, hopefully some more knowledgeable people from your area will chime in, and no its not cool to mention installers names here."
                +1
                Mention of specific installers (other than the big names like Solar City) is too likely to be taken as endorsement by the Forum, so we really would like to see that information exchanged by PM only.
                Among the possibilities for abuse are referral plans that benefit the person recommending the installer. That is not going to happen with suppliers.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
                  +1
                  Mention of specific installers (other than the big names like Solar City) is too likely to be taken as endorsement by the Forum, so we really would like to see that information exchanged by PM only.
                  Is there a sticky for that? I couldn't find one.

Comment

• mungosocal
                    • Jun 2015

So it seems that folks are getting quality installs down here in San Diego in this non-mythical $3.5 / watt area. Can I ask the simple question of whether folks typically include the cost of a service panel replacement and upgrade in this cost reference point? Seems that some folks need one and some folks don't.

In my case Company A included a replacement in the first bid I have obtained -- I have an original Zinsco 100A here on my house and he stated that it would be upgraded to a new panel with the highest rating that the buried wire from the street would allow. Using LG280 + solar edge inverter / monitoring + optimizers at an offered price of $3.63 / watt (comp shingle roof).

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by mungosocal
                      So it seems that folks are getting quality installs down here in San Diego in this non-mythical $3.5 / watt area. Can I ask the simple question of whether folks typically include the cost of a service panel replacement and upgrade in this cost reference point? Seems that some folks need one and some folks don't.

In my case Company A included a replacement in the first bid I have obtained -- I have an original Zinsco 100A here on my house and he stated that it would be upgraded to a new panel with the highest rating that the buried wire from the street would allow. Using LG280 + solar edge inverter / monitoring + optimizers at an offered price of $3.63 / watt (comp shingle roof).
                      If you have an old Zinsco panel, the opportunity to replace it with a tax credit as part of the solar installation may make up your mind for you. Some Zinsco breakers (along with Federal Pacific) are notoriously prone to failure and dangerous, and replacement parts and breakers can be prohibitively expensive.
                      Even if your particular panel and breakers are safe, insurance companies have a prejudice against them and it will avoid problems if/when you sell the house.

Comment

• solar4me
                        • Jun 2015

I am on PG&E and I received a few quotes from dealers/installers that ranges from $4/watt (SolarW* panel) to $5/watt (SunP* panel). Most of these dealers/installers are proposing to cover 100% of my last year usage. Seems like Tier shaving has a lower up front cost and quick on ROI.

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by solar4me
                          I am on PG&E and I received a few quotes from dealers/installers that ranges from $4/watt (SolarW* panel) to $5/watt (SunP* panel). Most of these dealers/installers are proposing to cover 100% of my last year usage. Seems like Tier shaving has a lower up front cost and quick on ROI.
                          Yup, but it makes less money for the installer.

Comment

• solar4me
                            • Jun 2015

HI GaryS1964

Do you mind sharing the vendors/install you been working with?

I do not think the forum allow posting vendor/installer name. So If you could please PM me, I really appreciate it. thanks!!

Comment

• skipro3
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2015

Just answering the OP's question without reading all 18 pages;

I got a 5kw system;
                              16 - 315 watt SolarWorld panels with a 5000 SolarEdge inverter. Turn key is $18,414 including all permits, taxes, etc.

PM me and I'll let you know who and you can come look at my install.

Comment

• UkiwiS
                                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by skipro3
                                Just answering the OP's question without reading all 18 pages;

I got a 5kw system;
                                16 - 315 watt SolarWorld panels with a 5000 SolarEdge inverter. Turn key is $18,414 including all permits, taxes, etc.

PM me and I'll let you know who and you can come look at my install.
                                I got a similarly sized system for $18,950 including all permits taxes etc. This amount is before the Federal ITC. From paying the deposit to getting permission to operate was around 7 weeks which was a little longer than I would have liked. I think it was a great deal and they did an excellent job. It's been running a little over a week and so far I'm very happy with it.

Cheers
                                KIWI

PVOutput.org - share, compare and monitor live solar photovoltaic output data
                                [url]http://tiny.cc/m8ex0x[/url]

Comment

Working...