X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericf1
    • Oct 2014

Santee takes about 2 weeks to approve plans. Your 200A panel upgrade will take about a month for SDGE to get to. You can call both SDGE and Santee to check on the status.

I would put my foot down on the panel issue. At $4.34/w you are paying for top tier, you should get it.

I would like to say screw them and walk away, but you signed a contract. The installer may have recourse, and could place a mechanics lean on your home.

You should let them know you will be filling a claim with the BBB and posting reviews online that reflect your experience. This installation is already significantly overpriced, so they have plenty of room to work with you. They could install Sunpower at this price.
    24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

• SD_Rider
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by thejq
      OMG! They actually wrote this in the contract? This gives the installer unlimited flexibility to change the brand of both panels and inverter. Did you read the permit application? On mine it clearly specified the brands, wattage and model of the panel and inverter. They should not be allowed to change anything after the application is filed. If they specified Axitec + Enphase in the application, your only recourse is to ask for a price adjustment based on the price difference. But it could be a uphill battle, since they can claim that for them it's the same price for which they might even be able to produce fake receipts to show. I wish you all the luck, but I'd be really nervous at this point.
      I haven't seen the permit application. I'm told it's in the city. I've asked for copies and expressed my concern.

The way I see it, I also will not honor our other verbal agreements. I actually received a response stating "On the original contract it does state Canadian Solar 250 panels. However, there is a space where the client initials at contract bottom in case we need to switch panels at time of install based on availability and pricing."

This statement worried me and concerns me. If they are not black panels, as I requested (I think this also means mono) there will be problems. I'm assured they ordered black, but as with the previous comments, I think poly means blue. I will not allow blue panels to be installed on my home.

Comment

• SD_Rider
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ericf1
        Santee takes about 2 weeks to approve plans. Your 200A panel upgrade will take about a month for SDGE to get to. You can call both SDGE and Santee to check on the status.

I would put my foot down on the panel issue. At $4.34/w you are paying for top tier, you should get it.

I would like to say screw them and walk away, but you signed a contract. The installer may have recourse, and could place a mechanics lean on your home.

You should let them know you will be filling a claim with the BBB and posting reviews online that reflect your experience. This installation is already significantly overpriced, so they have plenty of room to work with you. They could install Sunpower at this price.
        My panel upgrade is happening today. I had already started the process, planning to hire an electrician directly, then pursue solar. A 1959 home with a severely outdated panel and worn breakers. With or without solar, I was going to upgrade my panel. My AC disconnect was still fuses.

If I back out or the contract falls through I would be libel for the Electrician work and permit fees. I don't know what else, if anything.

I've requested documentation and more detailed information about what is being installed. Unfortunately, I've discovered that after the contract was signed communication has become a problem. Prior to contract signing communication was easy and quick return call.

This could turn out to be a horror story or just something that stresses me out, then comes together smoothly. Either way, I hope someone reads my thread and takes heed when signing their contract. This should be a happy occasion, not a stressful situation.

Comment

• thejq
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2014

The more I read your response, the more I think the installer intentionally tried to defraud you. There shouldn't be "in case ... availability and pricing" in the contract. Canadian Solar panels are very common, not some hot commodities. If the price went up, too bad, the installer should just eat it, there's enough margin in your quote to cover that. Plus the lack if communication after the contract is signed is another writing-on-the-wall. Not an legal expert, but I would fire that installer immediately in writing (preferably drafted by a lawyer) listing all the problems you had. If the breaker panel is upgraded, paid the electrician separately. I highly doubt that he will take you to court. He can't put a lien on your property if he hasn't done anything. You will probably end up saving $$$ with better products by calling the few installers I PM'd you a few days ago. Like you said it should really be stress free, not what you're experiencing even before the installation actually started.
          16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• SD_Rider
            • Mar 2015

Thanks.

I just had a very long conversation on the phone with the owner, which I hope was productive.
            I'm told my main contact had family issues and is a bit out of touch. I'm hoping he simply didn't want to mention it to me...and if true, I also hope all is well.

I am supposed to be getting a confirmation email of the panels, the color, and IN FULL DETAIL what is going on my home. If this doesn't happen or I'm not happy with the response and unable to resolve it, I will definitely be cancelling and dealing with any financial consequences. I am insisting on black panels, frames, panels.

I'm truly hoping it was all miscommunication and I will receive an email that will put my mind to rest.

Regarding Axitec, it looks like the comparison with Canadian Solar (250W poly vs. 250W poly) are close. Axitec shows to provide an extra 2 years warranty for 90% power output over CS.

Comment

• ericf1
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by SD_Rider

If I back out or the contract falls through I would be libel for the Electrician work and permit fees. I don't know what else, if anything.
              At this point, I would seriously consider walking. It is highly doubtful that the CS panels are not available, so you can probably guess his reasoning.

I used an installer right here in Santee. $3.42/W, great communications from start to finish and they still answer my e-mails the same day. A link to my system's SolarEdge public page is in my sig.
              24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

• SD_Rider
                • Mar 2015

Man, I am seriously considering walking.

I need to talk to someone...

Comment

• SD_Rider
                  • Mar 2015

At this point, I would seriously consider walking. It is highly doubtful that the CS panels are not available, so you can probably guess his reasoning.

I used an installer right here in Santee. $3.42/W, great communications from start to finish and they still answer my e-mails the same day. A link to my system's SolarEdge public page is in my sig.
                  Very nice.

I will keep y'all updated.

Comment

• SD_Rider
                    • Mar 2015

Big question.

The prices everyone is quoting. Is that before or after the "30% tax credit"? Mine is before. After would be 3.35/kW. Or...even better minus the 1800 for panel upgrade, after tax credit, would be $3.05/kW.

Comment

• thejq
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2014

Big question.

The prices everyone is quoting. Is that before or after the "30% tax credit"? Mine is before. After would be 3.35/kW. Or...even better minus the 1800 for panel upgrade, after tax credit, would be $3.05/kW.
                      Yes, because tax situation is different for everyone, the price quoted is always before tax credits.
                      16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• SD_Rider
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by thejq
                        Yes, because tax situation is different for everyone, the price quoted is always before tax credits.
                        I was hoping there was a misunderstanding.

I've sent an email. All I have is a copy of the "Installation Agreement" which states $15,523 before tax credit.

I only have this in an email:

4.08 kW system (16 x 255 watt)
                        Enphase Micro-inverters (16)
                        New Main-Panel Upgrade

$19,140 gross

-$5742 tax credit
                        $13,398 net

I sent an email yesterday, to which I didn't receive a reply. Another just sent. Next will be a cancellation notice and I will deal with any fallout.

The only reply I got yesterday is that I was being upgraded to 260W CS black panels. 16 would put me at 4.16 kW.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

I was hoping there was a misunderstanding.

I've sent an email. All I have is a copy of the "Installation Agreement" which states $15,523 before tax credit.

I only have this in an email:

4.08 kW system (16 x 255 watt)
                          Enphase Micro-inverters (16)
                          New Main-Panel Upgrade

$19,140 gross

-$5742 tax credit
                          $13,398 net

I sent an email yesterday, to which I didn't receive a reply. Another just sent. Next will be a cancellation notice and I will deal with any fallout.

The only reply I got yesterday is that I was being upgraded to 260W CS black panels. 16 would put me at 4.16 kW.
                          As thejq wrote, most everything talked about around here is before any tax credits, kickbacks, rebates, whatever.

So : $19,140/(16 X 255) = $19,140/4,080 Watts = $4.69/Watt.

That's pretty expensive, even with an electrical panel upgrade.

Comment

• SD_Rider
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                            As thejq wrote, most everything talked about around here is before any tax credits, kickbacks, rebates, whatever.

So : $19,140/(16 X 255) = $19,140/4,080 Watts = $4.69/Watt.

That's pretty expensive, even with an electrical panel upgrade.
                            Thanks to this forum, that's what I've learned.

(19140-1800)/(260x16) = 17340/4160 = 4.17/Watt. not much better. Especially when compared to 3.5 / Watt. I should be paying $14560 + 1800 = $16,360. So the other 3k is going into someones pockets at my expense. Not happy at this point. At 3pm, I'm sending a cancellation letter.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

SD Rider: Check your PM's.

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

Your LG + Solaredge is probably the best performer I saw in the past. I seen few LG300 +Enphase, none is close to your output. Weather is one factor, but your system is really rock.

Comment

Working...