X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by HX_Guy
    Yes, that's south side, but picture was taken right before sundown, that's why it's all in the "shade".

I do have serious shading the the neighbors house from Oct - Mar though, the shades travels across the roof though, with the front being shaded in the morning and the back in the afternoon. I'm doing a large string of 16 though so there will always be 8 panels unshaded and the string will still function with the SolarEdge optimizers.
    Shading, either late or early, is more or less meaningless - not enough sun to bother with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Volusiano
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by russ
      Shading, either late or early, is more or less meaningless - not enough sun to bother with.
      But between April and August the sun in AZ is more overhead so the shading during the summer is minimal. That's why there's enough sun to bother with, especially in the summer time when you need it the most to supply energy for cooling. So it's still worth putting panels up on that side of the roof even just for summer production in my opinion. Meanwhile, the Solar Edge setup will help squeeze out whatever sun he can get in the winter time.

Comment

• Volusiano
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2013

Living Large has a weird sarcasm going on, keeps calling me the "original installer", unless he is genuinely confused.

I haven't talked to the original installer in 2 weeks. All this work has been done by me, and a couple friends lending a hand on a couple occasions.
        I'm beginning to think it's genuine confusion because I didn't detect too much hint of sarcasm.

But on the other hand, I thought it IS pretty obvious that the work is done by the homeowner and he mentioned clearly that he hasn't heard back from the installer in 2 weeks. So how can somebody miss it?

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Volusiano
          But between April and August the sun in AZ is more overhead so the shading during the summer is minimal. That's why there's enough sun to bother with, especially in the summer time when you need it the most to supply energy for cooling. So it's still worth putting panels up on that side of the roof even just for summer production in my opinion. Meanwhile, the Solar Edge setup will help squeeze out whatever sun he can get in the winter time.
          Early and late refers to before 0900 hours and after 1700 hours. A waste!
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

Before 9am and after 5pm shading isn't that important for South facing arrays. Unless your solar arrays were facing West and between May to August ......Like mine SW 245 deg
            Attached Files

Comment

• HX_Guy
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

There are definite shade issues before 5pm. For example here is what it looks like on Nov 1st at 2:30pm...and you can see why I insisted on the panels be in landscape mode vs portrait.

Comment

• Living Large
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

Living Large has a weird sarcasm going on, keeps calling me the "original installer", unless he is genuinely confused.

I haven't talked to the original installer in 2 weeks. All this work has been done by me, and a couple friends lending a hand on a couple occasions.
                I apologize - you did correctly identify my sarcasm, but I confused the other poster. I'll knock it off. You did do a heck of a job on the mounts.

I'm curious at this point about a post you made recently that the tardy installer could be paid $15K in "barter dollars". Previously, I believe you reported that the barter company had said either you might be responsible for a small portion of the $15K barter dollars and/or the installer might receive a small portion of the $15K barter dollars. Not understanding how the barter arrangement works, and looking at how you have done all the hard work on the roof, I'm wondering what the installer has done to merit close to $15K.

I guess right now you don't know if you'll see this guy again, which must be a little unsettling - but you are handling it well.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

That's a good question. What has he done, correctly? I guess he had the permit designed (by a 3rd party) and submitted it, and he mounted the meter and disconnect boxes on the wall. He also provided about half of the railing needed. That's really about it at this point.

I sent him a text this morning telling him that the mounts have all been redone, sent him pictures, and asked when they can come out to bring more railing and put up the panels. It's only been an hour but no answer back yet. I also called the barter company who said they have been unable to get a hold of him either.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

So apparently my installer is on vacation until Jan 5th, left on Christmas day, mentioned nothing about it.

Comment

• Ian S
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2011

Well, I guess you're about to get a test of your efforts:

Issued by The National Weather Service Phoenix, AZ
                      Mon, Dec 29, 4:42 am MST

... MAJOR WINTER STORM EXPECTED ACROSS THE REGION WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY...

Comment

• HX_Guy
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Yeah I saw that, I need to get up there an plug all the optimizers into each other so the inside of the connectors don't get wet (not sure how much it matters anyway since they aren't energized).

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ian S
                          Well, I guess you're about to get a test of your efforts:

Looks like you might be in for a White New Years. Hopefully everyone comes out without any damage or frostbite.

Comment

• Ian S
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
                            Looks like you might be in for a White New Years. Hopefully everyone comes out without any damage or frostbite.
                            The last few nights have been quite cold - low to mid 30's at the airport - but doubt we'll see any snow in the valley. Flagstaff and other high elevations will get the white stuff.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ian S
                              The last few nights have been quite cold - low to mid 30's at the airport - but doubt we'll see any snow in the valley. Flagstaff and other high elevations will get the white stuff.
                              Got down to 28º a couple night here in N. Peoria. With rain forced and lows in the low 30s, I could see maybe a little flurry happening.

Comment

• Ian S
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2011

Got down to 28º a couple night here in N. Peoria. With rain forced and lows in the low 30s, I could see maybe a little flurry happening.
                                You're probably right. May even see a dusting on Piestewa Peak, my favorite hike.

Comment

Working...