X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HX_Guy
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

I went ahead and removed the TED5000 out of my service panel just in case the inspector removes the cover...didn't want them to be like what the heck is going on in here?! Looks quite a bit more tidy.

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by russ
      Right! You tell them! The inspector rules Sunking has posted many times.

1) The inspector is right
      2) The inspector is always right
      3) In the event the inspector is wrong (according to you) see rules 1 & 2.
      Dont-Tread-300.gif

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Alisobob
        Whatever... I've been a contractor for over 10 years... I dont bow to anyone.
        So what. I have been a Project manager for over 30 years including a number of multi-million dollar construction projects.

I will tell you that while it may be a very small percentage but there are some inspectors that you just can't reason with.

You might not bow to anyone but when it comes to completing a project on time it is no big deal to make the changes that the inspector wants and accepts which can make it easier for the next project that may involve the same inspector.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by HX_Guy
          I went ahead and removed the TED5000 out of my service panel just in case the inspector removes the cover...didn't want them to be like what the heck is going on in here?! Looks quite a bit more tidy.
          Looks good. You have gone above and beyond to make that pv installation not only work but look good. My hats off to you and your hard work. I hope all turns out well for you with the inspection.

Comment

• HX_Guy
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
            Looks good. You have gone above and beyond to make that pv installation not only work but look good. My hats off to you and your hard work. I hope all turns out well for you with the inspection.
            Thank you sir! Big day tomorrow, really hope it goes well and we don't have to fix a bunch of stuff and reschedule.

I *think* the installer will also be present during the inspection. I wonder if it's small stuff, like needing to tape the white wire with black or attaching rivets to the sign, if the installer can just do it right there on the spot for the inspector and they can then green tag it?

Comment

• Living Large
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2014

Can you edit the posts that include the name of the installer? You said you didn't want to advertise for him, but currently you are. Someone who doesn't go back through this thread might think they do the work of the quality that you actually did.

The errors in the labels reflect the same level of attention that the installer paid to the other parts of the job. Good grief. It's like Charlie Brown did the work. That is sad.

Comment

• Alisobob
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

1.I will tell you that while it may be a very small percentage but there are some inspectors that you just can't reason with.

2.You might not bow to anyone but when it comes to completing a project on time it is no big deal to make the changes that the inspector wants and accepts which can make it easier for the next project that may involve the same inspector.
                1. Very True

2. I've found it to be quite the opposite. When the inspector comes out, and knows its me... he knows that I know what I'm doing, and that I'm taking any of his crap. I get along with most inspectors quite well this way... a mutual respect. But I'm just doing piddly stuff, no multi million dollar nuclear power plants or anything...

Comment

• Alisobob
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Comment

• Alisobob
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HX_Guy

I think all wire nuts in the breaker box need to be wrapped in tape... even if they are the so called "Water Proof" type.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Living Large
                      Can you edit the posts that include the name of the installer? You said you didn't want to advertise for him, but currently you are. Someone who doesn't go back through this thread might think they do the work of the quality that you actually did.

The errors in the labels reflect the same level of attention that the installer paid to the other parts of the job. Good grief. It's like Charlie Brown did the work. That is sad.
                      Good idea, I think his company info was just in photos, so I edited those photos to blur out the information.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

I think all wire nuts in the breaker box need to be wrapped in tape... even if they are the so called "Water Proof" type.
                        I used "liquid electrical tape", not good enough? I could tape it too, not a big deal.

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5561[/ATTACH]

Hey everyone... FYI... there is a HUGE difference between what the code says is legal, and what your inspector wants to see.

Every state and county is different , but this is my story.

The inspector wanted engraved placards... engraved roof maps and diagrams.... system info... on and on....

Whats LEGALLY required in Orange County Ca?

These two reflective stickers.... and nothing more.

I didnt want my solar install to be an eyesore. All the extra added stuff , boxes, conduit, decals, placards, really bummed me out.

Good thing my installer knew what the code required...

Dont let the inspectors boss you around. They are there to enforce the code.... and nothing more!!
                          What is legally required in Orange County? To follow California Electric Code 2013 for permits submitted on or after Jan 1, 2014. For the topics here, CEC 2013 (Title 24, Part 3) is pretty much the same as NEC 2011. The roof maps and diagrams that you consider eyesores are a generally accepted way to meet 705.10, which is required when there is power production occurring in parallel to the primary service. Whether your installer has relationship with the inspector that allowed him to get sign-off on a different interpretation is unknown to me, but to say it is due to a difference between code and law is silly.

705.10 Directory.
                          A permanent plaque or directory, denoting all electric power sources on or in the premises, shall be installed at each service equipment location and at locations of all electric power production sources capable of being interconnected.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• control4userguy
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2014

About the only good thing I can say about the town I live in is you are able to blow smoke up the inspector's rear. Never once made it to the roof (walk-up a flight of stairs), never looked in the load center and only commented about the stickers as being appropriate and no other labeling.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by control4userguy
                              About the only good thing I can say about the town I live in is you are able to blow smoke up the inspector's rear. Never once made it to the roof (walk-up a flight of stairs), never looked in the load center and only commented about the stickers as being appropriate and no other labeling.
                              I can only assume the inspector either didn't do a complete job of reviewing your installation or he is familiar with the work performed by the person who installed the system who has done a great job in the past.

Comment

• control4userguy
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2014

^You think? Of course he didn't do his job. Who does these days? That's why home owners are on here complaining and doing the some (or all) of the work themselves.

Comment

Working...