X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBinCBad
    • Dec 2014

Continuing on the thread-jack theory, I have another Q:
    Assuming I have only viable, S/SW facing roof,which should fit about 15 panels, has excellent exposure (no shading), but probably won't be expandable, would the vote be microinverters vs. SE string inverter? Since the Enphase my first quote had are only rated at 250W, and since I have limited space, I was thinking the LG 305's with their higher-rater micro-inverters is my best use of space. I will likely be adding an EV in the near future, so my best strategy is to optomize the limited space i have for the most watts/buck. Whatcha think? per sq. ft, which is my better option, when shading and expandability are not issues?

Thanx,
    Joel

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JBinCBad
      Continuing on the thread-jack theory, I have another Q:
      Assuming I have only viable, S/SW facing roof,which should fit about 15 panels, has excellent exposure (no shading), but probably won't be expandable, would the vote be microinverters vs. SE string inverter? Since the Enphase my first quote had are only rated at 250W, and since I have limited space, I was thinking the LG 305's with their higher-rater micro-inverters is my best use of space. I will likely be adding an EV in the near future, so my best strategy is to optomize the limited space i have for the most watts/buck. Whatcha think? per sq. ft, which is my better option, when shading and expandability are not issues?

Thanx,
      Joel
      Maximizing W / sq ft would probably involve Sunpower panels, but they carry a hefty price premium. It might be better if you start a new thread about this. Without a better understanding of your current and projected usage and electric rates, along with the maximum payback period you would accept (however you choose to define it), it will be hard to get thoughtful advice.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• subdriver97
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2014

Update:

I signed the contract with the vendor today. I ended up going with 16 LG280s, SE6000 inverter, and doing the service panel upgrade.

Thanks to Sensji for running a production estimate study to determine if clipping would be an issue with a SE3800. Based on the pvwatts estimate there wouldn't be any significant (<1%) production loss to clipping. But pvwatts is an estimater not a predictor of solar production. Considering empirical results from folks int he San Digo area this past summer vs. pvwatts estimates I decided that I would rather had the larger inverter than be constantly wondering if I was losing production to clipping. Adding that to the likelihood that I would eventually expand the solar system, add an EV (probably 2) and pool getting the service panel upgraded made sense.

I also signed a contract with a third party roofer to have my 30 year old concrete tile roof re-laid. The roofer was recommended by my solar vendor, there price was competitive, and they have 30 years in the business. I'll provide updates on my experience with them as well.

Comment

• thejq
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2014

Congrats! Good luck with the installation.
          16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• Alisobob
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by thejq
            Congrats! Good luck with the installation.
            X2

Comment

• JBinCBad
              • Dec 2014

'Grats Sub. May I ask why you went with the lower-rated panels, and the higher-rated Inverter? I'm presuming cost/benefit analysis. I'm basically considering the same thing, but 'cause I have limited real estate on the roof, I'm leaning towards higher-rated panels and either micros or the SE. . .

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by subdriver97
                Update:

I signed the contract with the vendor today. I ended up going with 16 LG280s, SE6000 inverter, and doing the service panel upgrade.

Thanks to Sensji for running a production estimate study to determine if clipping would be an issue with a SE3800. Based on the pvwatts estimate there wouldn't be any significant (<1%) production loss to clipping. But pvwatts is an estimater not a predictor of solar production. Considering empirical results from folks int he San Digo area this past summer vs. pvwatts estimates I decided that I would rather had the larger inverter than be constantly wondering if I was losing production to clipping. Adding that to the likelihood that I would eventually expand the solar system, add an EV (probably 2) and pool getting the service panel upgraded made sense.

I also signed a contract with a third party roofer to have my 30 year old concrete tile roof re-laid. The roofer was recommended by my solar vendor, there price was competitive, and they have 30 years in the business. I'll provide updates on my experience with them as well.
                Final contract price(s) ?

Comment

• subdriver97
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                  Final contract price(s) ?
                  4.48kw, 16LG280 + SE6000 inverter + Service Panel Upgrade
                  System Cost: $17,344 - $1,800 service panel = $15,544 ($3.47/W)
                  Last edited by subdriver97; 12-21-2014, 09:54 PM. Reason: Note: this actually the price for the SE5000, see post #102

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Thank you. After all the various iterations I' wasn't clear on final config. or price. You done good. Nice negotiating BTW. Now you get to sit on the roof & watch.

Comment

• JBinCBad
                      • Dec 2014

wow, that looks like a great deal

Comment

• subdriver97
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by JBinCBad
                        'Grats Sub. May I ask why you went with the lower-rated panels, and the higher-rated Inverter? I'm presuming cost/benefit analysis. I'm basically considering the same thing, but 'cause I have limited real estate on the roof, I'm leaning towards higher-rated panels and either micros or the SE. . .
                        Lower-rated Panels - This was for cost savings, it would have been $661 more for 15 LG300 (4.5kW) price difference is $0.13/W. My main pursuit of this project was to save money in general so it made the choice easy.
                        16 LG280 (4.48kW) @ $15,544 = $3.47/W
                        15 LG300 (4.50 kW) @ $16,205 = $3.60/W

Higher-rater Inverter - The SE6000 was $135 more than the SE3800. This gives me significant "head-room" to expand my system in the future.

Comment

• subdriver97
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Some Corrections:

1. For those of you that have already read through this thread... I added this note to the post that started this thread:

"NOTE: My vendor initially quoted the service panel price as $2500. During price negotiation the vendor reduced the overall system cost by $700, but it wasn't clear if he was reducing the service panel price to $1800 as he was adamant about the $2500 price initially. Further down the road when I was considering not upgrading the service panel review of estimates revealed that the vendor was clearly assigning $1800 to the price of the service panel upgrade. --- It's interesting to consider that assuming service panel upgrade is included in the overall system cost, a higher price assigned to the service panel upgrade reduces the $/W cost. Something to consider if you know you require a service panel upgrade and vendors are quoting different prices on the cost. The majority of the bids I got were $1500 for the service panel upgrade, $1800 from one vendor (which this one eventually matched), and the $2500 initial price from this vendor."

2. Corrected final system price, apologies - I had some confusion between the SE5000 and SE6000 options:

Option 1: SE5000
                          4.48kw, 16LG280 + SE5000 inverter + Service Panel Upgrade

Option 2: SE6000 (I signed the contract for this...)
                          System Cost: $17,479 - $1,800 service panel = $15,679 ($3.50/W)

Comment

• lmanpunk
                            • Aug 2014

Update:

Congrats

I am also looking at LG and SolarEdge. Would PM your contractor. I have already received quotes so it possible I have already have a quote from them.

Thank You

Comment

• subdriver97
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by lmanpunk
                              Congrats

I am also looking at LG and SolarEdge. Would PM your contractor. I have already received quotes so it possible I have already have a quote from them.

Thank You
                              PM Sent.

Comment

• carlsbad
                                • Jan 2015

subdriver97 and theJQ, I'm in the Carlsbad area and would love to get your installer info if you don't mind. I have gotten a number of quotes from various installers but the numbers have all been above $4/kW with LG 300W or SolarWorld 285 panels and enphase microinverters.

Comment

Working...