X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kylechoffman
    • Apr 2015

Please PM your installer/ solar company

Just starting to get bids and live in North County San Diego. We have about three companies doing most of the installs in my area so would love to get another option. I dont need a panel upgrade. Thanks!

Comment

• ttocs
      • Apr 2015

I'll jump on the PM request bandwagon and request the name of the company you used. I've gotten a couple quotes so far and they are WAY off for a similar sized system.

Comment

• eastview88
        • Apr 2015

your solar installer

Originally posted by subdriver97
        Install Day 3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5792[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5793[/ATTACH]

I'm now waiting for my SDGE appointment on March 2 to perform the service panel upgrade. Once that done... inspection and connect to the grid!
        Hi Subdriver97,

I have been reading your post and really like your estimates (price/w). Could you (share) send me your installer info? I am also live in San Diego and interested in Solar. Thanks

Comment

• subdriver97
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by eastview88
          Hi Subdriver97,

I have been reading your post and really like your estimates (price/w). Could you (share) send me your installer info? I am also live in San Diego and interested in Solar. Thanks
          Yup, PM Sent

Comment

• hockeydude
            • Apr 2015

Looks Good. PM installer please

Looks really good to me. Hope it is working well. In San Marcos also working getting several quotes. Please also PM me installer. Thanks a lot.

Comment

• traxxed
              • Apr 2015

Installation Looks Great

The installation looks great! Could you also PM me your installer?

Thank you!

Comment

• thejq
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2014

Ooops ... Sorry wrong thread. Delete.
                16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• subdriver97
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by hockeydude
                  Looks really good to me. Hope it is working well. In San Marcos also working getting several quotes. Please also PM me installer. Thanks a lot.
                  PM Sent

Comment

• subdriver97
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by thejq
                    Excellent. Ask your installer to enable your SolarEdge public site so you can share with the rest of us.
                    My site is public now... pm me if you want the link.

Comment

• Alan007
                      • Apr 2015

installer info

Originally posted by subdriver97
                      Some Corrections:

1. For those of you that have already read through this thread... I added this note to the post that started this thread:

"NOTE: My vendor initially quoted the service panel price as $2500. During price negotiation the vendor reduced the overall system cost by $700, but it wasn't clear if he was reducing the service panel price to $1800 as he was adamant about the $2500 price initially. Further down the road when I was considering not upgrading the service panel review of estimates revealed that the vendor was clearly assigning $1800 to the price of the service panel upgrade. --- It's interesting to consider that assuming service panel upgrade is included in the overall system cost, a higher price assigned to the service panel upgrade reduces the $/W cost. Something to consider if you know you require a service panel upgrade and vendors are quoting different prices on the cost. The majority of the bids I got were $1500 for the service panel upgrade, $1800 from one vendor (which this one eventually matched), and the $2500 initial price from this vendor."

2. Corrected final system price, apologies - I had some confusion between the SE5000 and SE6000 options:

Option 1: SE5000
                      4.48kw, 16LG280 + SE5000 inverter + Service Panel Upgrade
                      System Cost: $17,344 - $1,800 service panel = $15,544 ($3.47/W)

Option 2: SE6000 (I signed the contract for this...)
                      4.48kw, 16LG280 + SE6000 inverter + Service Panel Upgrade
                      System Cost: $17,479 - $1,800 service panel = $15,679 ($3.50/W)

subdriver, great deal for price per W especially since the panel upgrade was part of the overall cost. Nice job. I'm in San Diego too and have received 3 quotes over the past 1.5 yrs (was wondering what SDGE would do with their rate and tier structures) but the best I've been getting is $3.7/W so far also using LG280 panels. Would you mind PM me your installer? Thank you so much!

Comment

• thethingx
                        • Apr 2015

Looks like you did a lot of research, I would like to reap the benefits of your hard work. Would you so kindly PM your installer info? Thanks

Comment

• LLN
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by thethingx
                          Looks like you did a lot of research, I would like to reap the benefits of your hard work. Would you so kindly PM your installer info? Thanks
                          Same here, I have received a three quotes so far, one said my electrical panel was fine (we had a major remodel and upgraded to a 200A panel 6 months ago, but it's a center fed panel), the second company said we needed a RMA (Renewable meter adapter) from SDG&E that cost $1400. The third company said that we needed a brand new electrical panel for $2000.

At this point I really don't understand the need for a brand new electrical panel and I need to do more research on electrical needs and the discrepancies between the three companies, all with good reviews on Angie's list, yelp and this board.

Can you PM your installer info so that I can get another opinion, Thanks

Comment

• gvl
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LLN
                            Same here, I have received a three quotes so far, one said my electrical panel was fine (we had a major remodel and upgraded to a 200A panel 6 months ago, but it's a center fed panel), the second company said we needed a RMA (Renewable meter adapter) from SDG&E that cost $1400. The third company said that we needed a brand new electrical panel for $2000.

At this point I really don't understand the need for a brand new electrical panel and I need to do more research on electrical needs and the discrepancies between the three companies, all with good reviews on Angie's list, yelp and this board.

Can you PM your installer info so that I can get another opinion, Thanks
                            Center fed panels have to be fully de-rated when back-feeding solar input on the busbar. For example, if you have a 200A center-fed panel and your solar system that requires a 50A breaker your main breaker will have to be reduced to 150A. Main breakers don't come in all "sizes", so if for some reason the only breaker available is 125A you'll have to use it, and it may not be enough if you have a big home with dual AC, pool, two ovens, EV, etc., in which case a new panel is necessary. For non-center fed panels you can apply the "120% rule", basically it allows the assumption the panel has 20% more capacity (i.e. 40A for a 200A panel) so you don't need to reduce the main breaker as much if at all.

Comment

• LLN
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by gvl
                              Center fed panels have to be fully de-rated when back-feeding solar input on the busbar. For example, if you have a 200A center-fed panel and your solar system that requires a 50A breaker your main breaker will have to be reduced to 150A. Main breakers don't come in all "sizes", so if for some reason the only breaker available is 125A you'll have to use it, and it may not be enough if you have a big home with dual AC, pool, two ovens, EV, etc., in which case a new panel is necessary. For non-center fed panels you can apply the "120% rule", basically it allows the assumption the panel has 20% more capacity (i.e. 40A for a 200A panel) so you don't need to reduce the main breaker as much if at all.
                              Thanks for the info, what I don't get is why one company would say they can do it after looking at it and taking pictures and he was an electrician and then you have another company just flat out tell you you need a brand new panel with no other options.

Comment

• subdriver97
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LLN
                                Thanks for the info, what I don't get is why one company would say they can do it after looking at it and taking pictures and he was an electrician and then you have another company just flat out tell you you need a brand new panel with no other options.
                                Often times you're dealing with Sales guys that have varying levels of technical understand of the electrical code. Also, depending on exactly what jurisdiction you live in the code can differ. In the end I looked up the code myself and determined that indeed I needed a service panel upgrade. Keep in mind the interpretation of the code also depends ultimately on the inspector. I was told that it's possible to get a hold of an inspector for your jurisdiction and present your specific question and get a ruling. I tried to make these phone calls but wasn't able to run it to ground. (I made a dozen calls to the county to find out that I should have been calling the city... pretty much ran out of time as my install was scheduled for the next day, I probably should have started calling earlier...) However, having said that I'm baffled because I noticed after my service panel upgrade that my neighbor that has about the same size system as I do didn't have to do a panel upgrade. It's possible that because he installed his system earlier than I did that the code changed from the time he installed and I did.

I think though that it's highly unlikely that you would need a panel upgrade if you have a 200A panel, even if it is center fed. Many times the sales guys will automatically say that you have to get an upgrade if they hear center fed, but that's not the case. Center fed is more limiting than end fed, but it can be used for pv applications on a case to case basis. If someones tells you that you need an upgrade, I would ask them to site the specific reason (and by reason I mean electrical code section). And the only way to know if they are really right or not is to look it up yourself or consult someone that is willing to look at the code for you. There's probably a lot of folks on this forum that would be happy to help, but they will need to know the size of the system you want to install and the inverter (or inverters) that you are looking at installing. Some of the specifics regarding the code and breaker sizes and such are in this thread if you take the time to read form the beginning.

Comment

Working...